• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Divernhunter

Divernhunter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,219 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fun target shooting, reloading, collecting firearms. Also enjoy scuba diving and welding. Shoot 22RF to 50bmg.

Posted 30 January 2012 - 05:24 PM

Anyone know where I can find 1K-2K of .308AP bullets??

#2 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,437 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 30 January 2012 - 06:20 PM

You're not talking about the (HIGHLY ILLEGAL) Armor Piercing bullets are you????

#3 Divernhunter

Divernhunter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,219 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fun target shooting, reloading, collecting firearms. Also enjoy scuba diving and welding. Shoot 22RF to 50bmg.

Posted 30 January 2012 - 09:50 PM

Tracers are illegal. Rifle AP are not. That is about all I shoot in my 50BMG(also not illegal for me) as they are more accurate than ball ammo bullets.

#4 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,437 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 31 January 2012 - 12:31 AM

It's a fine line here. I see what your saying about shooting it, that is legal. However, as you were looking for bullets, which I read as reloading, not loaded ammo, then that is actually illegal depending on how you interpret "manufacturing". If you can get away with it legally, and it shoots better for you, then great. Just thought I would throw this at you just for the sake of informing (especially since this was asked on the www). But likeI said, I do not know if you are reloading or not, and it is definitely up to how one translates the law. Good luck, and I really do hope you don't have any problems with it, especially since your guns like it better, but here is the law as it is written:Armor Piercing AmmoThe regulations on armor piercing ammo are among the strangest of the federal firearms regulations. The first is that AP ammo is rather odd in its definition. The ATF defines it as handgun ammunition, but thereís a catch. If any handgun has ever been made in a specific caliber, then ATF considers that the AP ammo regulations then apply to that caliber. Thatís why you canít buy AP ammo for cartridges like 7.62◊39 and several others. The 5.56x45NATO is specifically exempted from this, even though there are pistols made for it.Itís perfectly legal to possess, purchase, sell or shoot armor piercing ammunition. Itís not legal to manufacture or import armor piercing ammunition.In order to manufacture AP rounds, you have to hold a type 10 FFL (18 USC sec. 922(a)(7)). In order to import AP rounds, you have to hold a type 11 FFL (18 USC sec. 922(a)(7)). If you hold either one of these FFLs, itís not legal to sell or export AP rounds, except to military, law enforcement (18 USC sec. 922(a)(8)). In addition, if you hold a type 06-08 FFL (manufactures of firearms, importers of firearms, manufactures of ammunition), then you also my not sell AP rounds to the general public.For regular type 01-03 FFL holders, you may sell or deliver AP ammunition, but it must be entered into the Acquisition and Disposition Record (bound book). So if you have any AP rounds in your possession, thatís ok. But itís been illegal to manufacture or import new ammunition thatís transferable to ordinary citizens for quite some time, and for the most part, itís generally unavailable, and certainly not in any significant quantity for most calibers.Of course, there are also various state restrictions. Pennsylvania prohibits KTW ammunition. NJ and NY have additional restrictions on AP ammo.

#5 butthead

butthead

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 12:22 AM

I haven't seen much in quite a while and when you do come across them they are usually in small lots amd very expensive. Unlike the .50 cal stuff there are many great shooting, cheap bullets in .30 cal. Even the .50 cal supply is drying up and when there gone there gone. Seems to be plenty of the tracers, API, and APIT but not much of the AP, bad news for us here in Ca. I see a few places still have some of the 690g but I haven't seen any 700g (best stuff) in a while. Good luck in your search. You may want to check places like poly from time to time as they get some pretty interesting stuff in once in a while.

#6 Divernhunter

Divernhunter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 06:28 PM

I have my stash of 700gr AP 50cal bullets. I got them when they were cheap and easy to find. Same with Pull-down 5010 powder. Just trying to find either nowdays is impossible, almost. I think I was able to talk my friend out of the idea anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users