• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • Interests:Hunting anything above or below the water. Kayaking, Backpacking, Scuba, Surfing, anything outdoors.

Posted 29 January 2012 - 07:59 PM

I just checked out the Crosman site and noticed that they had added a new underlever springer to their lineup, the Benjamin MAV 77. No MSRP is listed and it is only offered in .177 cal at this time. It looks exactly like a Air Arms TX200 which the Chinese had copied and sold under the name BAM 40. I know the Chinese stoped offering this model a while ago. I'm wondering if Crosman made a deal for exclusive American marketing rights for the BAM 40 much like they did with the BAM model 18/19 which was sold exclusively by Crosman as the Quest and I believe now is sold as the Remington Vantage. If it is the BAM 40 It will be interesting to see what the price Crosman will put on it as the TX200 goes for about $570.00.

#2 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts
  • Interests:Bass fishing,Kayaking,Airgun hunting

Posted 31 January 2012 - 05:52 AM

Crosman 2012 catalog.....takes minute or two to load....http://www.smithairg...Catalog2012.pdf

#3 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,814 posts
  • Interests:I've got so many I couldn't list them all. :)

Posted 01 February 2012 - 10:06 AM

I bet it is the BAM40 with a few "modifications" or "updated design" work done to it so that Crosman can market it. I think it looks nice and if it is a good shooter wouldn't mind owning one eventually, but I don't want it in .177. I'd rather have one in .25 that really laid some smackdown! In other news guys... I just purchased another .22 Marauder Rifle. It is a used one that I picked up for a decent price ($250 with scope) because the owner couldn't get it to shoot straight, even after receiving a new barrel from Crosman. I think one of the main reasons is that he didn't own a chronograph and so tuning it was not easy for him to do. Since I have a chrono and some knowledge of the Marauder, the internals and the tuning procedure, I'll see what I can do with it. It comes with a 4-16x40AO Leapers scope and rings also. It's going to be my "Project" Marauder. First I'm going to order a few replacement pieces (baffles, end cap, some o-rings, etc.) because he modified some parts and said a couple of o-rings in the shroud were broken, get it back to more of a "Factory" starting point and them work on getting it to shoot straight consistantly. I'm going to rework the stock a little and do the black bedliner coating on it or a camo paint job (I haven't decided yet). I should have it here the middle of next week and then the project will begin. I'm only hoping that the gun is not more messed up than he told me it was. That would make it not so much fun. ;) I'm not sure what I'll do with it when I'm done. I told my wife that I might sell it, but I'm thinking since I'm selling my Gamo Whisper .22 that I will keep it and that way I have an extra for hunting friends who don't own an air rifle to try out. Then maybe I can get them hooked too. :504:

#4 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • Interests:Hunting anything above or below the water. Kayaking, Backpacking, Scuba, Surfing, anything outdoors.

Posted 01 February 2012 - 07:27 PM

@ crazyhorse, Rich thanks for link to the crosman catalog.@ ARH I think the MAV77, B40, or TX200I might be a bit underpowered for .25cal. I have an Airarms Prosport in .22cal. and it is putting out at 732fps with crosman primiers which puts it at just a tad over 17 fpe. To put a .25cal pellet down range I think I would want a gun that was capable of putting out a minimum of 20fpe, preferably something closer to 30fpe. Having said that, my Prosport is insanely accurate and quiet. Great score on the .22cal Marauder. I got a great deal on one a few months back and took it to Tim at MAC1 and had him tune it up. I am curious to see what the MSRP will be on the MAV77.

#5 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,814 posts
  • Interests:I've got so many I couldn't list them all. :)

Posted 01 February 2012 - 09:56 PM

I'm sure you are right about it not being able to produce enough power for a .25 cal version. It would be a nice idea if they could make one in an underlever model, just for kicks. Anyway, hopefully the MAV77 with not cost more than the B40 was going for. It will be interesting to see how well is does or doesn't sell at whatever price point they enter the market with. I'll be wathcing it too. :angry2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users