8 replies to this topic

#1 rabiddog

rabiddog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 06:25 PM

I need to find a pump or semi auto 20 Ga. for my 10 yr old son. I know Remington make one in a youth model and body here know of any other shotgun makers that make a 20 ga. for a youth maybe something he can grow into. I'd prefer one threaded for chokes.Any news on Charles Dalys?Thanks,Frank
HISTORY, IN GENERAL,ONLY INFORMS US OF WHAT BAD GOVERNMENT IS. THOMAS JEFFERSONANYONE WHO TRADES LIBERTY FOR SECURITY DESERVES NEITHER LIBERTY OR SECURITY. BENJAMIN FRANKLIN

#2 Bennie

Bennie

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,906 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Shooting.

Posted 28 January 2012 - 06:54 PM

Just bought my 11 year old one for Christamas. Remington 870 Express youth model. Got it at Sportsmans Wharehouse. Got it for $344.98 out the door. Looked around quite a bit for a smaller gun to fit him. It was the best thing I could come up with that would fit him. He Loves it.P.S. We were letting him shoot a borrowed 410. I figured the savings in the cost of shells was reason enough to buy a 20 gauge. I can get three boxes of 20 for what we was paying for one box of 410.
Raith Heryford's Guide Service  Salmon, Trout & Steel Head | Striper, Sturgeon & Shad | Duck & Goose HuntingYuba /Sutter Northern CaliforniaCALL 530-870-2697 or emailQuit blowing on the Fur and get to the Hide.

#3 dangerranger

dangerranger

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • Interests:I am a shooter first and then a hunter. I shoot competitively, most recently in the American Single Shot Association. I have also shot Cowboy action, Silhoettes,etc.. I like to build guns as a hobby.

Posted 28 January 2012 - 11:30 PM

Mossberg makes the Bantam Youth shotgun. My kids had one years back. Other than being too light it was a good gun for someone with short arms. I made a lead weight to fill the stock bolthole during practice sessions and would remove it while hunting. the extra 2 lbs really cut the felt recoil. DR

#4 rabiddog

rabiddog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 01:01 PM

Thanks guys I looked at both and your input is appreciated. My son is kinda tall and lanky, has long arms so thats why I was asking I could have been more specific I guess. Both Mossberg and remington has the spacers to adjust the LOP thats what I wanted was one that could adjust.Again thanks for the input now all I gotta do is fit it into the budget.Frank
HISTORY, IN GENERAL,ONLY INFORMS US OF WHAT BAD GOVERNMENT IS. THOMAS JEFFERSONANYONE WHO TRADES LIBERTY FOR SECURITY DESERVES NEITHER LIBERTY OR SECURITY. BENJAMIN FRANKLIN

#5 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 29 January 2012 - 01:27 PM

That Remington 870 will last a lifetime and is hard to beat. I still have my first one and it will be 50 years old in a couple of months.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#6 stephen722

stephen722

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 11:05 PM

hey frank, got dallas a mossberg auto a few years ago, think he mite of grown out of it by now :good: if not the bro-inlaws got lots of them, stephen

#7 DirtyDave

DirtyDave

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 11:14 PM

My 11 year old daughter shoots a Full sized Mossberg 500 20ga. She started shooting the 20ga last year when she was 10. She's tall for her age at 5'3".Big 5 has the Mossberg 500 on sale right now for $269 (12 or 20ga are the same price). Comes with 2 barrels.
Hic Ego Statio

#8 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 30 January 2012 - 01:35 AM

My nephew who is average for his 11, almost 12 year old body, handles my full size 870 20ga just fine. They are a nice, light, and an easy gun for him to carry, and he seems to have no problem handling it. It's kind of funny because I remember after seeing him handle it, I asked myself "Why do they even bother making youth guns"? Have you had the kid try a full size 20ga yet? You may find it easier (and more worth it) to actually just buy a full size. The 20ga full size guns really aren't all that big. And at that age he will probably grow into it in a matter of months if it's just a hair too big.

#9 stephen722

stephen722

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 01:38 AM

yea and weatherbee gots 1100's in 16, 20 and 12 guage :good:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users