8 replies to this topic

#1 rabiddog

rabiddog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 06:25 PM

I need to find a pump or semi auto 20 Ga. for my 10 yr old son. I know Remington make one in a youth model and body here know of any other shotgun makers that make a 20 ga. for a youth maybe something he can grow into. I'd prefer one threaded for chokes.Any news on Charles Dalys?Thanks,Frank

#2 Bennie

Bennie

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Shooting.

Posted 28 January 2012 - 06:54 PM

Just bought my 11 year old one for Christamas. Remington 870 Express youth model. Got it at Sportsmans Wharehouse. Got it for $344.98 out the door. Looked around quite a bit for a smaller gun to fit him. It was the best thing I could come up with that would fit him. He Loves it.P.S. We were letting him shoot a borrowed 410. I figured the savings in the cost of shells was reason enough to buy a 20 gauge. I can get three boxes of 20 for what we was paying for one box of 410.

#3 dangerranger

dangerranger

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • Interests:I am a shooter first and then a hunter. I shoot competitively, most recently in the American Single Shot Association. I have also shot Cowboy action, Silhoettes,etc.. I like to build guns as a hobby.

Posted 28 January 2012 - 11:30 PM

Mossberg makes the Bantam Youth shotgun. My kids had one years back. Other than being too light it was a good gun for someone with short arms. I made a lead weight to fill the stock bolthole during practice sessions and would remove it while hunting. the extra 2 lbs really cut the felt recoil. DR

#4 rabiddog

rabiddog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 01:01 PM

Thanks guys I looked at both and your input is appreciated. My son is kinda tall and lanky, has long arms so thats why I was asking I could have been more specific I guess. Both Mossberg and remington has the spacers to adjust the LOP thats what I wanted was one that could adjust.Again thanks for the input now all I gotta do is fit it into the budget.Frank

#5 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,688 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 29 January 2012 - 01:27 PM

That Remington 870 will last a lifetime and is hard to beat. I still have my first one and it will be 50 years old in a couple of months.

#6 stephen722

stephen722

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 11:05 PM

hey frank, got dallas a mossberg auto a few years ago, think he mite of grown out of it by now :good: if not the bro-inlaws got lots of them, stephen

#7 DirtyDave

DirtyDave

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 11:14 PM

My 11 year old daughter shoots a Full sized Mossberg 500 20ga. She started shooting the 20ga last year when she was 10. She's tall for her age at 5'3".Big 5 has the Mossberg 500 on sale right now for $269 (12 or 20ga are the same price). Comes with 2 barrels.

#8 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 30 January 2012 - 01:35 AM

My nephew who is average for his 11, almost 12 year old body, handles my full size 870 20ga just fine. They are a nice, light, and an easy gun for him to carry, and he seems to have no problem handling it. It's kind of funny because I remember after seeing him handle it, I asked myself "Why do they even bother making youth guns"? Have you had the kid try a full size 20ga yet? You may find it easier (and more worth it) to actually just buy a full size. The 20ga full size guns really aren't all that big. And at that age he will probably grow into it in a matter of months if it's just a hair too big.

#9 stephen722

stephen722

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 01:38 AM

yea and weatherbee gots 1100's in 16, 20 and 12 guage :good:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users