• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#31 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 04 February 2012 - 09:01 AM

Never had any issues my 700 ever. I love it and would gladly buy many many more. If I had the money.

Same here... I could not begin to count the # of 700's friends and I have had over the decades & have never had this problem. It is the first I ever heard of it. Not saying it didn't or does not happen, However?Also, if I remember right, the actions/firing pin etc would come from the factor with too much grease on them, and thus would not hit the primer hard enough in cold or freezing weather to set the round off. I have to wonder if that couldn't have been at least part of the problem? I occasionaly had some of my 700 actions cleaned by a gunsmith when I use to deer hunt in extreme cold weather, & why it makes me wonder about this?

#32 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,314 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 04 February 2012 - 09:25 AM

Here is an article on it.http://www.usatoday....gger-cnbc_N.htm

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#33 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 04 February 2012 - 09:46 AM

Wow... Now I do remember the article & TV show, although I did not watch the show. That is terrible & sure hope their new trigger resolved that. I often times, but not always, replace mine with a Timney. Both my current 700's have Timneys in them. Good thread & Thanks for the reminder

#34 novaman64

novaman64

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts
  • Interests:motorcycles, shooting, hunting, muscle cars, snow skiing, wakeboarding, barefooting, camping, horses, livestock

Posted 04 February 2012 - 06:08 PM

Id go with Rem 700 in 7rm... Unlimited options down the line if you want to start modifying it. 7mm mag has better choice of hi BC bullets if you ever want to shoot long distances. Also, if you ever go on a hunting trip, and forget your ammo, I think you would be alot more likely to find 7 mag than 270 wsm... Though it is getting more and more popular.

#35 PigHostile1

PigHostile1

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 03:01 PM

I own a weatherby vanguard 270wsm and the gun is awsome I love it! my suggestion is if you're getting the weathby forget the bullet grain that is less then 130 I try my gun and it was shooting everywhere at 150yards. remington 7mm mag a buddy own one he didn't like the gun and the performance compare to 270wsm..Make you decission well cause the gun will be your friend out in the field.

#36 Kephers

Kephers

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and Shooting

Posted 05 February 2012 - 05:24 PM

Oh yes, I have learned to always have complete confidence in my equipment. If I dont trust it I wont use it. If I have a doubt about something I fix it or dont use it. Same goes with shot placement. If I doubt my ability to hit or kill what I'm shooting at I wont do it. I'll find another way.I havent shot or owned the 270 wsm, I'd like to try it though. The 7mm mag is what I used to shoot my first pig. Was a friends gun it did great not much recoil either. I'm still making a decision. Also contemplating the 7mm-08 but I like the ballistics of the 7mag
OORAH! SEMPER FI!
Call Me Keith!
1 Round Varmint War!

#37 PigHostile1

PigHostile1

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 08:38 PM

I own a 7mm-08 Remington 700..the gun is super accurate at 200yards and its equipped with a cheap Crosspoint scope (haha). but I tell you that this gun can put 3bullets down the range within a pattern of not more then 1.5 inches I love the gun, but I will stick with my 270wsm for bad terrian

#38 rdsii64

rdsii64

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 11:30 AM

Did any of you see that documentary on the Rem 700 and its misfiring problem?

As much as I love my Howa's the Remington 700 never had a miss firing problem. The owner of that gun F'ed with the trigger and wan't a qualified gunsmith. That gun was also rusted and not properly maintained. When the case went to court, no one could reproduce the problem either. I feel for the surviving family members but if you don't know what you are doing, DON'T F@#$ WITH THE BANG SWITCH. and for cry'n out loud, don't point the damn thing at anyone and these things won't happen no matter the condition of the rifle.

#39 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,314 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 11 February 2012 - 01:55 PM

Read the link I posted above this problem has been with the rifle since the 1940's and in the program that aired they interview the designer of the action and he admitted there was a problem and a fix.http://www.californi...d...st&p=248077

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#40 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 01:59 PM

don't point the damn thing at anyone and these things won't happen no matter the condition of the rifle.

THANK YOU... And is the REAL reason for this horrific accident. I always love it when someone trys to BLAME something, anything other than their own negligence.

#41 nitis

nitis

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:43 PM

Whichever caliber you choose make sure it comes in a green box !!I vote for 270 wsm only gun I have ever regretted selling and my 7mag kicks the crap outta me the wsm was way easier to shoot and they were virtually the same rifle

#42 Kephers

Kephers

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and Shooting

Posted 17 February 2012 - 06:11 PM

I will probably get both at some point. I think its just going to be an impulse buy. I'm thinking any of the calibers mentioned in this thread can kill pigs/deer out to 400 yards if need be. Probably wont be doing much shooting beyond that unless its just target shooting.
OORAH! SEMPER FI!
Call Me Keith!
1 Round Varmint War!

#43 375ranger

375ranger

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Interests:Varmint hunting, ATV's, Fishing

Posted 18 February 2012 - 11:25 PM

Speakin of 700's, I just traded my neighbor an older electric guitar, for an unfired, brand new in 2002, 700ADL in .270. Oh yeah! Matches my camo'ed .223 ADL yote, squirrel buster. I guess I'm a Remmy guy, used 'em in the Army too. I don't remember Weatherby being there.

#44 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,833 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting ,and hog hunting with my dogs.

Posted 19 February 2012 - 06:09 AM

I am a remington fan for sure .but I think the tikkas savages etc are a better out of box rifle. I like to tinker, so I like the choices of parts and pieces for the remmy. My all-time favorite rifle is my little 7722 mag. Shoots 1 hole groups all day long and weighs 6 pounds.

#45 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts
  • Interests:Handloading, hunting, target shooting.

Posted 19 February 2012 - 09:15 AM

I like both Rem 700's and Howas and have both. I've got 3 Rem 700's and love them all. However, I was having trouble with split case heads on my 1984 Rem 700 ADL .30-06 and confirmed by checking the head space that it has a longer chamber by .005." My other two 700's don't have that problem. Now that I know, I can adjust the full length sizing die to bump the shoulder back by only .001 - .002 and brass life is longer. So if you have an older ADL, check the head space if you're getting cracked case heads after only 2 firings or so.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users