#1 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts
  • Interests:Bass fishing,Kayaking,Airgun hunting

Posted 27 January 2012 - 07:12 PM

It appears Crosman plans on re-branding the Skenco Gold .177 pellets and have listed them a new addtion to thier pellets line.Link: http://www.crosman.c...ear/ammo/LF1785I purchased some from PA to test (assuming I'm right) and here are some preliminary results from 25 yards.:(It was getting dark when pellets arrived,so I will continue testing tomorrow.)I first shot (3) JSB 7.9 on left red dot. Then loaded,and shot (4) on right side dot....but two dropped low just off paper..I've never had any luck with 'pointed' pellets and these Skenco's are behaving the same.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#2 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 01:30 PM

This pretty much wraps up this pellet test for me.... performance worse than I could imagine... I tried them in several diffrent airguns with no sucess.Posted Image Posted Image

#3 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,330 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 02 February 2012 - 01:48 PM

I have never found a pointed pellet that shot consistently in any of my guns. Maybe that isn't really a true statement because they shot consistently crappy. Give me a round nosed diablo style any day. Flat nosed aren't bad at shorter ranges but the round nose beat them at anything over 25yds.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#4 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,805 posts
  • Interests:I've got so many I couldn't list them all. :)

Posted 02 February 2012 - 01:54 PM

The results you are seeing is pretty consistant with what I have experienced with the .22 caliber version of the Skenko 16.7 grain pellets. They look neat, but don't seem to perform very well. I think, in part, it has a great deal to do with the aerodynamics of the pellet and plastic skirt. I've never been able to get them to shoot straight in any of my high powered air guns. I have shot them with varying results in my Gamo Whisper .22, but my Benji Trail NPXL1100 and .22 Marauder do not like them one bit. I don't know what air gun shoots these things accurately enough to shoot past 10 yards with any consistancy. I'm not sure what Crosman is thinking in acquiring these to offer as a Crosman product. Perhaps they have acquired the company that was making these? I personally am not impressed with those pellets at all.

#5 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 03:33 PM

I tried some dome head Baracuda Green in both .177/.22 cal and they did better than the Skenco's,but not by much.I get the feeling Crosman did not test the Skencos...???

#6 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,805 posts
  • Interests:I've got so many I couldn't list them all. :)

Posted 02 February 2012 - 05:02 PM

I get the feeling Crosman did not test the Skencos...???

That's they way it appears to me. Maybe they found that it works ok in some of their guns. Who really knows... only the people who made that decision. :unsure:

#7 microtus

microtus

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • Interests:About average for everybody else in here.

Posted 02 February 2012 - 08:10 PM

I've never had any luck with 'pointed' pellets......Okay, so I have a dummy question. I don't own a .17 anything to try and couldn't find the answer on the www. Is it even possible to use a .17 bullet instead of a pellet? lands too close? Copper dosn't conform like lead in the barrel lands? .172 v .177 makes it " rattle " down the barrel so to speak?
Watching the government rape the 4th to pillage the 2nd.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users