• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,858 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting ,and hog hunting with my dogs.

Posted 26 January 2012 - 07:31 AM

Well i did a radical change to my 700 remington barrel. I like a 22" tube and mine had a 24". Instead of ordering another barrel I got out the hacksaw. First i tested the Hornady super performance ammo in a chrono that i borrowed. the load tested 4050fps out of my gun. Then I made a jig to cut the barrel off straight. Cut it off, smoothed the surface with a file ,then 220 grit. Checked for square.then took a drill bit and ground it to 11 degree angle. The next step is to drill. You should have a pilot tool,which I didnt, but I have a huge drill press.I took a work clamp and made certain the barrel was plumb and drilled the crown. Polished it with a brass rivet with polishing compound Took it to the bench. With pacnor's phone number wrote down I went out and shot my new 22" barrel. the group was as good as before, (the gun shot good groups before the surgery) but shot about 5"s high @ 100. brought it back down to zero and it shot some really good groups. Taking 2 "s off lost me 90 feet per second. My 50 grain bullet is still going 3960 according to the chrono. The interesting thing for me was the elevation change I thing was do to barrel sag? dont know. I thought I would share the info. Saved a little money in the project.

#2 Rimrock

Rimrock

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,374 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 08:08 AM

Sounds like you did a good job. Like you, I like the shorter barrel, and the small loss in MV won't make any difference to a coyote. I don't know about the change of impact. 5's seems like a lot for "muzzle sag." But, what do I know?

#3 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 26 January 2012 - 08:40 AM

YOu lost 90fps, Quick, somebody call 911 and have hem respond to Frank's house. he is probably having a heart attack over tht.

#4 BPS

BPS

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • Interests:Predator Calling, Squirrel Shooting, Reloading

Posted 26 January 2012 - 11:07 AM

Glad it worked out for you Eric.Shorter & Lighter IS Better...Lee

#5 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,858 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 12:11 PM

I packed it all morning . Sure made a big differance. By the way i called 3 places( Howling ) and drew a blank.

#6 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 26 January 2012 - 12:13 PM

YOu lost 90fps, Quick, somebody call 911 and have hem respond to Frank's house. he is probably having a heart attack over tht.

Boy, truer words were never spoken, Braz... LOL Well, actually I have chrono'd a LOT of various barrel lengths especially in 22-250. If I remember right, I would say Eric's results were about on average with mine. Going from 22 to 24 is often times in the 100 fps range of velocity loss... on max loads!However, going from a 26" barrel to 22" can be another story. On many ocassions I have chrono'd as much as over 300 fps difference in velocity loss. Now, that may or may not mean a lot, depending on how far we are shooting at, but how far do we keep caring that (velocity loss)?... All the way to 30-30 velocities? Perhaps an exageration... but is it really? In other words, we might as well be shooting a 223 if too much velocity is lost. Which ain't a bad idea btw. In Eric's case, this did not happen of course, so he did good, which I am glad to see... as he sure did cause my blood pressure to crash at the start of his post. LOLAnyway, Eric, you did good. I know hard to believe from me, but a true story. lol :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

#7 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 26 January 2012 - 12:13 PM

:smiley-innocent-halo-yellow: But at least he is shooting a Remmy, so it should be just a mild heart attack :harhar1[1]: :bleh[1]:

#8 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 26 January 2012 - 12:20 PM

Shorter & Lighter IS Better

:smiley-innocent-halo-yellow: OMG, you poor man! LOL (j.k.) OOPS... missed Bob's post, and too funny (but true. lol)

#9 Fjold

Fjold

Traveling hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, hunting and fishing.

Posted 26 January 2012 - 04:56 PM

I'm just the opposite, when the 22" barrels wear out I go to 26". I usually see a significant velocity increase in 200 - 250 fps range but my data is tainted because I always go with stainless match barrels for my replacements.

#10 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 26 January 2012 - 05:09 PM

beep.........beep........beep........beep.......beep That's the sound of Frank's heart starting to beat again :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

#11 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,858 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 08:10 PM

I'm just the opposite, when the 22" barrels wear out I go to 26". I usually see a significant velocity increase in 200 - 250 fps range but my data is tainted because I always go with stainless match barrels for my replacements.

that velocity is right on frank. I lost about a100 fps with 2"s . adding 4"s to a 22" would be 200 fps.I got too many tree limbs to duck under for a 26" :roflmao3[1]:

#12 Inoculation

Inoculation

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 09:03 PM

I'm with Eric. Shorter and lighter is what I like on a predator rifle. I love my CZ527 American, I shoot my varmint Kevlar more these days because it's just a tack driver. But I don't ever carry a gun too far, 100yds from the truck with a rifle is ridiculous to me. I just like the light feel of a 22"sporter barrel. It still zips the 223 with 40gr Vmax around 3600fps. No need for anything else in 22 cal.My night gun has the ridiculous 26" tri flute on a Rem 700 chambered in 6.8SPC. That thing is a tank for sure. I might have a custom 527 built chambered in 6.8 because nothing I have shot drops them like the SPC does with light recoil.I guess I need to by a gun soon HAHA!

#13 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 08:20 AM

It's been pretty much a standard notion for awhile that on a fast shooting center fire (3500+ fps) you lose roughly 40fps per inch of barrel. On something in the medium range (3200 fps) it's a bit less.While everyone has their opinions on what they like their hunting rifles like...I much prefer a lightweight, quick handling rifle or even a standard weight rifle. Being comfortable with your rifle is going to be more important than losing 100-200 fps when it comes to calling and shooting coyotes. I own a couple heavyweight "bag" guns. They are very accurate...but make lousy calling rifles. I've used them before, if they were an advantage I would continue using them but to be honest they always felt too cumbersome and awkward to me. Sure, if a coyote stops 150 yards out and poses nice and pretty for you they work fine...it's just that the other half dozen that don't stop or offer the perfect shot...for those I much preferred a quick handling rifle. I've used the heavyweights at night as well...never saw an improvement over my comfortable standard weight Swift.

#14 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 05:18 PM

My Goodness, Eric, see what you started? LOL (a good thread btw). Anyway...

I lost about a100 fps with 2"s . adding 4"s to a 22" would be 200 fps

Well, unless chronographed, the above is THEORY only, even though very possible if chronographed. As we know, most rifles, custom or not, stainless barrel or not, will produce different velocities with the same load. Some close, some far apart. As I stated above, I have chronographed a LOT of 22-250's in various barrel lengths and KNOW the potential & real differences & not what some book or half baked claim states. Some examples are:1). MANY yrs ago, I went from a 24" barrel to a 26". ONLY 2" gain. The average velocity increase was approx 150 fps, or a 50% gain over the 100 fps theory.2). Just last year, I chrono'd one particular load in a 26" & 22" barrel. Velocity loss was just under 300 fps. 3). On another day last year, a long time, older shooter refused to believe what I said in #2 above. We just happened to have both rifles with us that day & I had him shoot both rifles with the same load over his own chrono. This load was OVER 300 fps velocity loss. He was speechless, but stated he "had never seen that before". I said that's because you never compared before, which is likely the case with the vast majority of shooters. Also, my above examples are NOT isolated cases, but a few of many. As far as the lighter, quick handling girlie rifles go ( :roflmao3[1]: ), they are absolutely not for me. They are more difficult to hold steady whether shooting off hand or on shooting stix. Nor do they "point" as well as the longer tubes do. Now, I admit I am not the best shot on running game, BUT, I have made a few incluing the coyote pictured in my avatar in the upper left hand corner above. I killed that coyote shooting OFFHAND, while he was running broadside at full speed at OVER 300 yards... with a 13 1/3 lb 22-250... that I did sell. LOL I find 11 1/2 lbs ideal for me. So, as with most things, firearms are about what one likes or works best for that individual... And is NOT a ONE SIZE FITS all situation. And is all I am trying to point out... & probably not very well. Sorry! p.s. is a 2 or 4" shorter barrel really going to make that original 26" rifle much lighter? Really?

#15 BPS

BPS

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 07:21 PM

p.s. is a 2 or 4" shorter barrel really going to make that original 26" rifle much lighter? Really?

It will if its a swap from a 26" varmint to a 24" sporter :harhar1[1]: Lee

#16 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 09:05 PM

LOL... I did have to ask... ugh!

#17 BPS

BPS

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 09:50 PM

Yeah ya did.....I tell ya Frank, swapping the varmint barrel for the sporter barrel was the smartest thing I've ever done, its so much lighter & it shoots darn good. It is a Remmy after all.

#18 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,858 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 09:55 PM

My whole point is I like the way a 22" handles all around. Carrys better and balances better. I wanted it to be a good calling rifle, capable to shoot 300 yards and less and still be handy for the hard chargers that you need to come out of the stix and make an offhand shot.I think all can agree that a 22" barrel is easier to shoulder and swing than a 26". Far as field applied accuracy, I have more against me with shooting stix, wind , range estimate than a 100 fps velocity. I did that once to Frank on a running coyote @ about 300 yards. I was aiming at the front Coyote and hit the rear coyote...LOL.. :harhar1[1]:

#19 Inoculation

Inoculation

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 04:52 AM

I like how donkey12 puts it....."The coyote don't care what you shoot him with" HAHAAAHAHAA!!!

#20 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 07:45 AM

isn't it more like..."Now remember, the coyote don't care what you shoot him with".

#21 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 07:47 AM

LOL... ALL great points guys... and it certainly would be a dull & boring world if we all liked the same thing.Ok, gotta "run" to the "gym"... these damn rifles of mine ain't getting any lighter :harhar1[1]:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users