7 replies to this topic

#1 lif2fsh

lif2fsh

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 04:35 PM

Just got done fleshing my first hide, people that do it for a living sure earn their check! I don"t have the right equipment yet thought i would try a little to see if i will go ant farther. well the answer is yep. will make a fleshing board from pipe and get a real knife Monday.

#2 tommybuilt

tommybuilt

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 05:34 PM

It's a pretty good work out isn't it. You can use saw dust or borax to help the flesh ball up alittle better. But it still aint easy.

#3 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts
  • Interests:I've got so many I couldn't list them all. :)

Posted 23 January 2012 - 07:38 PM

I'm with you guys. I've only tanned squirrel and rabbit hides (nothing bigger yet) and fleshing the back side without the right knife/tools takes much longer. I haven't purchased any of the tools yet though because I haven't gotten out hunting enough yet to warrant it. :good:

#4 trn2kill

trn2kill

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 08:47 PM

I tan ALL of my coyote and bobcat hides. I made a small fleshing beam out of some scrap wood I had around my shop. It's 1 1/2 thick and 8 x 24 I clamp it to one of my work benches. I have found super fast and easy way to tan and flesh at home. I use the lutan F tanning kit that works great. To flesh I use I hack saw blade bent in half and zip tie the bottoms together and make a handle out of a shop towel. I use the blade in a pushing direction and the tissue just separates from the skin super easy. It takes about 45 minutes to do the whole hide.

#5 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 01:53 PM

Without the right tools it is a lot of work. Even with the right tools it is still a lot of work, but it's much easier and faster.They make fleshing knives for under 20 bucks. Using one with a fleshing beam you can flesh out a coyote in a few minutes. They also make hardwood fleshing beams for 25 or so dollars. A good investment if you are going to do some skins.Fleshing is a messy operation so keep that in mind when getting setup. Sawdust works but so does Borax or even Salt. Since the fleshing knifes are dull, it helps the knife bite in and remove the fat/flesh. I used to have a big bag of Borax.. it works well to dry out the skin and to shine up/remove stains from the fur. Salt works too (to dry out and for fleshing). You can buy a 50lb sack at smart/final for like 5 bucks.

#6 lif2fsh

lif2fsh

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 08:03 PM

Holly crap its tough, made a fleshing beam from pipe and bought a good fleshing knife. A few min. i must be doing something wrong, on my 3 evening and still have some flesh. I watched video and they did it really fast as well.

#7 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 09:55 AM

Yep, it can be tough. Not sure if you're using anything to help the knife bite but without it, it's a chore.I've never used a pipe as a beam but I'd imagine that's a pretty small radius to work on. Most beams have a slight radius that almost match's the fleshing knifes radius, so when you are using the knife you have a lot more surface being cut.

#8 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,585 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 25 January 2012 - 11:27 AM

Fleshing beams are pretty easy to make but you can buy them. A Google search will turn up lots of measurements. Or as I mentioned you can buy them like here:http://www.fntpost.c...Fleshing Beams/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users