6 replies to this topic

#1 jrbdad

jrbdad

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 07:04 AM

What have you tried? Looking for something for .308 to use for pig.

#2 acourvil

acourvil

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 02:45 PM

Best shooter I've come across so far is the Corbon Hunter load of the Barnes TTSX in 168g. I tired the Federal, Winchester and Hornady lead free and they didn't group as well for my Tikka T3 .308. I haven't tried the Barnes Vortex (?) yet, but i would expect it to be similar to the Corbon.

#3 Divernhunter

Divernhunter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fun target shooting, reloading, collecting firearms. Also enjoy scuba diving and welding. Shoot 22RF to 50bmg.

Posted 19 January 2012 - 10:05 PM

In 308Win I hand load Barnes 130gr TTSX bullets

#4 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,669 posts
  • Interests:Handloading, hunting, target shooting.

Posted 20 January 2012 - 06:48 AM

In my .308, for some reason the Barnes TTSX bullets (poly-tipped TSX) tend to group better than the non-tipped TSX BTHP bullets. I've found great accuracy with the Barnes TTSX 130 grain that Divern refers to (about .6 MOA).

#5 dabob

dabob

Bob Morris Foxpro Field Staff

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,686 posts
  • Interests:Shooting Sporting Clays, Trap and Skeet, Hunting and Fishing

Posted 20 January 2012 - 09:40 AM

With the Barnes TSX & TTSX, Nosler E-Tip and the Hornady GMX bullets you won't need a heavy bullet to get good penetration like you would with some lead bullets. All of these bullets will penetrate very good so the 130 gr to 150 gr bullets should work great in your 308 if they group decent.
Posted ImageTen Percent FirearmsServing California with all of their firearms needs - or contact us by email.

#6 jrbdad

jrbdad

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 01:50 PM

thanks

#7 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • Interests:Hunting anything above or below the water. Kayaking, Backpacking, Scuba, Surfing, anything outdoors.

Posted 26 January 2012 - 10:30 AM

jrbdad,I've been working up some hunting reloads for my .308 using the 168gr. Nosler E-tips. I was hoping I could just switch out bullets with the 168gr Speer loads that I make up for target shooting but it didn't pan out. There are a few problems I am working around right now with this. To get the same weight as a lead bullet the leadless bullets have to be longer. This leads to seating issues with regards to the amount of powder you can use in the case. The second issue is that the the manufacturers reccomend seating the bullets .05 -.10" off the lands. Initially I didn't do this as the power I was using wouldn't let me seat the bullet any deeper in the case. When I shot these loads the accuracy was horrible. I was getting 4" groups from a rifle that normally shot a minimum of a 1" group at 100yards. My next batch I switched to a powder that would allow me to seat my bullets the reccomended depth and wallah! I'm back to 1-1.5" groups again. As far as taking anything with them yet, that still is in the future, so I don't have any info for you on the Noslers E-tips killing ability. Mc

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users