• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,836 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting ,and hog hunting with my dogs.

Posted 12 January 2012 - 06:43 PM

always looking for the best accuracy for my pistol. Has anyone tried the holo sights on a handgun. I have used the laser mounted on the rail on my glock 31 and it makes it easy to put them all in the x ring. Curious how the holo would do , as it is mounted on the far end from the barrel. A little movement there would mean alot at the far end. ?

#2 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, PCP Airguns, Flying (home builts)

Posted 12 January 2012 - 06:48 PM

I have two Bushnell Holosights (Eotech) on my Buckmarks. Some friends and I have an informal competition and it does very well.Posted Image

#3 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,836 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 08:33 PM

how are they for different ranges. Say tyou were sighted in @10 yds and shot @ 25 yards? With the sight mounted that high does it create a large angle between the sighting plane and bullet path. I have a laser sight that goes on the lower rail on a glock and that is the problem. If you sight in a 10 yards you are WAY off @ 25 yards

#4 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, PCP Airguns, Flying (home builts)

Posted 15 January 2012 - 07:58 AM

With the Hawke Chairgun Pro software using a 2" scope height figure from 10 yards to 25 gives you about an inch correction in POI for about 1000 fps. Not too bad.

#5 acourvil

acourvil

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 11:42 AM

I have jpoint red dots on 45 and 22 slides for my 1911. They work quite well for me, although opinions on what is accurate for a handgun seems to vary a lot from person to person. The closer you can get the dot to the barrel, the better off you will be for shorter ranges. The further you go out, the less it matters. You can optimize the zero point to give you the largest accurate range using a ballistics program like Chairgun or many others. As a general rule of thumb, a first zero at 15 to 20 yards will give you a second zero out around 40 to 60 yards; the exact optimum zeros will depend mostly on your muzzle velocity and the size of the poi variation that you want, and to a lesser degree on BC and other variables. A zero at 10 yards will generally not be very good unless you have the dot very, very close to your barrel.

#6 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,836 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 12:08 PM

i was thinking of a burris fastfire for my glock 31. I use it as a trap dispatch weapon at times, and most of my shots are in the20-30 foot range. Curious how well it will work. the laser attachment i have sits 1- 5/8" below the centerline of the barrel. It is very accurate, although I find a large elevation difference between 7 yards to 20 yards. Like 4 or 5 "s of elevation difference. I should sight it in @ 15 yards and see if I can find a happy medium. I could live with a couple inches.

#7 screwwork

screwwork

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 06:04 PM

ehd,check out these two sites for some really low mounted dot scope mounts.http://www.glockworx...px?PAGE=Galleryhttp://www.lonewolfd...R...6471&CAT=10http://www.trijicon....t3.php?pid=RM04

#8 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,836 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 06:21 AM

thanks for the info. I am going to try the fastfire on my glock with the mount for the sight groove.will see how it does. I really like the idea of machining the rail to get it down low.

#9 screwwork

screwwork

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 02:55 PM

As far as the machining goes I think you buy a new slide to get it machined to mount the sights(more money again)Let me know how you like the fastfire and mountI am looking to get one in a Trijicon Yellow dot, being color blind it takes out the Red & Green dot sights.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users