#1 Kephers

Kephers

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and Shooting

Posted 12 January 2012 - 04:50 PM

I have a rem 700 sps varmint with a 26 inch heavy barrel with a 1:10 twist. Ive been doing some reading all around and surprisingly not much is written about 1:10 thats very specific. So from all you guys with more experience than me, what bullet ranges should I be playing around with? I've shot 50-55 grains pretty well. But I was thinking of trying some a little heavier. Suggestions on weights? I want some for paper punching and some for varmint. But was also thinking of making a go with pigs with it using only head shots if I go this route though. I know about the ethics concerns and all that. I know my own shooting capabilities or I wouldn't try. So humor me if at all possible.
OORAH! SEMPER FI!
Call Me Keith!
1 Round Varmint War!

#2 dabob

dabob

Bob Morris Foxpro Field Staff

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,603 posts
  • Interests:Shooting Sporting Clays, Trap and Skeet, Hunting and Fishing

Posted 12 January 2012 - 05:01 PM

Is it a custom barrel? I didn't know Remington made a 1-10" twist. Is it a 223 Rem or a 22-250?
Posted ImageTen Percent FirearmsServing California with all of their firearms needs - or contact us by email.

#3 Kephers

Kephers

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 05:04 PM

Its a 223. Rem 700 sps varmint. Oops sorry its a 1:12 twist. My mistake. Thanks for the correction
OORAH! SEMPER FI!
Call Me Keith!
1 Round Varmint War!

#4 Divernhunter

Divernhunter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,158 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fun target shooting, reloading, collecting firearms. Also enjoy scuba diving and welding. Shoot 22RF to 50bmg.

Posted 12 January 2012 - 05:06 PM

I have shot 62gr bullets out of my Rem Varmit rifle but have not tried anything heavier.As for pigs if you must then use a barnes type bullet or a Nosler partition or better yet a swift bullet in lead ok areas. I say this just to humor you. "I" personally think anyone should show more respect toward the game animal than to use such a marginal caliber.If you want to go shoot again you can test your loads etc. I will be going Monday as it is a holiday.--Take Care---Doug

#5 Kephers

Kephers

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 05:13 PM

I hear ya Doug. I'm playing with the idea. But I'm not sold on it just yet. I have seen it done. I know I can do it. Not saying I'm going to. But if the time ever prevents itself, I'd like to be prepared. I've seen some awesome head shots that drop them stone dead in their tracks. If all else fails I can bust out the 30-30 I always carry with me as my brush gun. Waiting till next paycheck to get a bigger caliber rifle though. I was thinking the barnes tsx bullets. They fired nice out of my rifle. I've just never tried it on big game. Wanting to get your thoughts on a type is all. I have to work friday. I was thinking of going sunday to the manteca range. My buddy just picked up a Rem 700 sps varmint in 308 were gonna go sight in. I also have to sight in my wifes ar 15 I got her for her birthday.
OORAH! SEMPER FI!
Call Me Keith!
1 Round Varmint War!

#6 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,685 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 12 January 2012 - 05:15 PM

I know 55gr and lower will do fine and are what the twist was designed for. But you could try some heavier just to see. Depending on the load they all act differently.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#7 Kephers

Kephers

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 05:35 PM

So just to get it straight the slower the twist the lighter bullets? The faster can use heavier bullets though right?
OORAH! SEMPER FI!
Call Me Keith!
1 Round Varmint War!

#8 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts
  • Interests:Handloading, hunting, target shooting.

Posted 12 January 2012 - 06:01 PM

Correct. A faster twist rate is necessary to stabilize heavier bullets.

#9 Fjold

Fjold

Traveling hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,762 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, hunting and fishing.

Posted 12 January 2012 - 08:21 PM

So just to get it straight the slower the twist the lighter bullets? The faster can use heavier bullets though right?

Actually it is the length of the bullet that matters. Longer bullets have to be spun faster to stabilize so they need the faster twist barrels. Your gun will shoot 55 grain cup and core (lead jacketed) bullets fine but it will not stabilize the 50 grain lead free bullets because they are much longer.
Frank
One rifle, one planet. Holland's 375
Posted Image

#10 Kephers

Kephers

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 09:00 AM

Well I need to do some reloading and shooting to test out which bullets are best then :/. I know my speer match bullets do great with my cci small rifle primer and imr 4198. Dont have the exact load data but I seen the group expand and drop. But this is only out to 100 yards. I need to head to a 200-300 yard range to do some testing. Wish there was one in manteca. We only got a 100 yard range.
OORAH! SEMPER FI!
Call Me Keith!
1 Round Varmint War!

#11 Kephers

Kephers

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 09:04 AM

The speer bullets were match grade bthp rounds. I believe they were 62 grain. I was key holing with I believe it was like 17.4 grains? Dont quote me. I'll have to look. But 5 shot group was .5 but I had 1 floater that I called. Minus that and it was .5. But the rest didnt seem to group below an inch. I'm not sure if that was a stability issue, bullet jump or depth or what. I have to do some further testing. It just gives me a reason to keep going to the range. I love shooting.
OORAH! SEMPER FI!
Call Me Keith!
1 Round Varmint War!

#12 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,685 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 09:29 AM

Match bullets aren't good hunting rounds so unless you just want to punch paper I wouldn't waste my time on them unless you just want something to do. Match bullets don't expand well enough to be used as a hunting round and you will end up wounding rather than killing whatever you shoot it at.

Time waits for no one--

#13 Kephers

Kephers

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 10:18 AM

Yes this is true. Its just a paper punching round. Wont be using it for hunting. I dont believe I'll be using the 223 for hunting as I stated earlier. Its mostly varmint/target. But I would like a bullet tailored for pig if I ever run across one. One that would be sufficient for a head shot. But this is only a just in case type of thing. I always carry the 30-30 with me but if I happen to run across one when I have the 223 I would like to know which bullet can do the job.
OORAH! SEMPER FI!
Call Me Keith!
1 Round Varmint War!

#14 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,685 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 10:33 AM

The point of impact would be different it's best to just sight in and use one bullet type/design. Trying to switch back and forth will get you nothing but wounded or missed game.

The general rule of thumb is that a cartridge needs to produce 1000 foot pounds of energy at a given distance to effectively take a whitetail deer. The .223 Remington firing a 60 grain Nosler Partition as loaded by Federal produces 3160 feet per second at the muzzle and 1330 foot pounds of energy. The energy at 100 yards is 998 foot pounds and at 200 yards is 736 foot pounds. (Ballistics from federalpremium.com) While this level of energy is not impressive to say the least, let's look at the numbers of the 30-30 Winchester. The 30-30 Winchester is a great deer cartridge that has filled innumerable tags over the years, yet its ballistics are not spectacular either. The 30-30 Winchester fires a 150 grain bullet at 2390 feet per second and generates 1902 foot pounds of energy. At 100 and 200 yards the energy numbers are 1296 and 858. While the 30-30 Winchester does produce better numbers than the .223 Remington, the difference is not that significant. (30-30 ballistics from remington.com)

http://www.midwayusa...isting-_-891153

Time waits for no one--

#15 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,082 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 05:28 PM

that's one reason I like my tikka 223 with the 1-8 twist I can stabilize the heaviest 223 round and still shoot the 40 just fine.well just try some 60 gr noslers and see if they stabilize.

#16 Kephers

Kephers

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 07:57 AM

Nice little write up there ShooterJohn. Appreciate the info and the bullet link. I might check those out or come up with my own load using that particular bullet if I can find it. Thanks againShoot-it - yeah I was considering the tikka, but I purchased this before I knew anything at all about the tikkas, I was originally going to go with the 22-250 but I heard about barrel wearing out. So the amount I wanted to shoot the rifle didn't allow for that with the 22-250 (so I heard). Having not tested it I couldn't verify it. My next rifle is going to be a be bigger caliber. Probably a 308 then I'm looking for a magnum (just to have one to play with hunt/shoot/target) probably 7mm or 270 wsm maybe even the 300 wsm. Not sure which and I know they ammo is expensive but I plan on reloading only.
OORAH! SEMPER FI!
Call Me Keith!
1 Round Varmint War!

#17 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,158 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Fishing, Camping

Posted 14 January 2012 - 08:42 AM

Keph, You made the right choice with Remington and the 223 for your first bolt gun. Get proficient with that rifle first and then progress yourself into bigger caliber. 55 grain bullet is about the heaviest you can shoot with in a 12 twist tube. Use your 30-30 on pig but limit your shot to no more than 150 yards... you'll be fine. Tikkas are fine rifles! but if I have my choice, I'll pick Remington any day. The availability of after market parts for Remington rifles are limitless. Thats what make this rifle so versatile.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former" Albert Einstein

#18 Kephers

Kephers

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 08:57 PM

Yes this is true. The remington 700 is a great and popular rifle. I can get parts all over. It does great. I have some other larger caliber rifles but nothing I want to settle with as a full blown hunting rifle. The 3030 to me is just a brush gun but an heirloom my dad left me when he died. I had it since I was 15. But now I have the 223 and an ar 15 in 223 as well for the wife. There are so many calibers I'm looking at and all will do the job if the bullet is placed right. My friend is pushing me to go with the 308, I like that round because its versatile and ammo is very common and I can use surplus for plinking ammo. But Ive wanted several other calibers too. Like the 7mm mag, 7mm 08, 25-06, 270 wsm, 300 wsm and the 6.5x55. I just keep changing my mind. Wish I was able to just say what the hell and buy 1 of each. But with kids and a limited budget I may have to buy a cheaper rifle 300-400$ range and get a decent scope. This will do well for a pig/deer rifle. Then later on with taxes/bonus checks and so forth I can step up to get my higher wanted rifles. Sadly money doesn't grow on trees. It would be all to easy to just buy 1 of each if money allowed. As I said all will do the trick for deer/pig. I started the paper work on a Marlin xl7 in 25-06 because it was only 338 bucks. Has nice reviews and I dont have to worry about scratching and dinging a 800$ rifle. Then later on get a couple rifles that suit my wants a little better. I know I'd like to buy the 308, 7mm mag and either the 270 wsm or 300 wsm later on and just reload for them both. I wont shoot factory ammo. So I dont have to worry about paying factory prices. Just for reloads. I have plenty of 270, 30-06, 7mm mag brass I've acquired over the past 3 months. I have about 3-5 sandwich bags of each that people fire and leave on the ground. All factory and no handloads. I always ask.Oh and I love my remmy 700 sps v in 223. Its a great rifle straight from the factory. With handloads and a decent scope I'm firing sub moa on the bullets/powder charges that my rifle likes. Even with factory it was 1.5 inches. Which isnt bad for just paper punching. I have to free float the barrel and maybe later on get a new stock and get the action bedded. But it is a great rifle, which isn't hard to find in the rem 700 line.
OORAH! SEMPER FI!
Call Me Keith!
1 Round Varmint War!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users