#1 seebass

seebass

Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting, Arm Wrestling, Camping and Cooking

Posted 12 January 2012 - 11:45 AM

Yes!!! :signs1180lq: :harhar1[1]: :653: :drinks: :cheers: :flag: :yahoo: :sport037fn4: :fireworks3: :drool: Now that I'm done dancing the jig! I've got a a question.How long will durracell batteries last in the caller realistically? I ran out and bought 8 for this weekends hunt, I'm going to buy good recharables in a couple of weeks. But I'm wondering how many hours of play I will get at say..... Average volume 8? Anybody? I'm hoping they last atleast a full day. I'm worried with all the "they drain really quick" talk. My 13 yr old daughter wants to go out on Sunday, so I'm gunna take her to some of my local spots. Also I found the foxpro utility for reprogramming the call to be very easy to use. I've already changed my sound list, and presets, downloaded free sounds and added them to the proper folder to be added tonight. FOXBANG programmed flawlessy too. Very easy to do. Next I'm going to work on transfering all of my downloaded mp3 to the utility when I get home tonight. I definately had to read and follow the directions at first, but they were pefectly explained and a breeze to do. Probably took me a whole 10 minutes the first time. I can change, add, and delete sounds in less then 3 now that I know what I'm doing. Anyone with the battery answer would be great! Carlos I'll post a full field review after I take it out.

#2 seebass

seebass

Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 10:19 AM

Anybody out there have any experience with regular batteries

#3 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,391 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 13 January 2012 - 10:28 AM

Don't use regular batteries unless you can't find anything else. They just do not last. As for your question up top it depends on all sorts of things and all caller vary somewhat. Just have another set in your bag or in your truck. It is cheap insurance.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#4 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,992 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 10:53 AM

With My FX5 It seems that it would play continuous for about 4 hrs on reg Alkalines. Easily will make a day of calling as I remember? The rechargeables are a much better way to go. If your unit has 2 speakers using both causes faster battery drain. Volume as well as the particular sound can take more juice too. A "Busy" sound like certain bird and rabbit sounds will use more than say a Female howl or a sound with breaks in it. Just take an extra set with you to be on the safe side. If you later change to rechargeables, I reccomend the Quick charge for the Auto. It will charge as you are driving to the next stand. Good luck with the new caller!
“Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that require every citizen to prove they are insured... but not everyone must prove they are a citizen.”

#5 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 13 January 2012 - 11:17 AM

Most 8 battery calls such as your Firestorm & others, that friends of mine own are GAS HOGS. My friend's calls (fx3, 5, firestorm & fury) have died a number of times right in the middle of a stand. So DEFINITELY have spare batterys WITH you & not in the truck... although at least you will have them, even in the truck.Anyway, enjoy, and good luck on your huntsFrankp.s. we have had better battery life with Lithium batteries than alkaline. However, they are more costly.

#6 CaseyU

CaseyU

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, being outdoors, hanging with my family and friends

Posted 13 January 2012 - 11:31 AM

couple thiings i've learned over the years... only run one speaker! you don't need both those batteries drainers, also, you don't need all that calls volume all the time. let me see if i said that right, you don't need all that calls volume all the time. or actually barely at all. that's a lot of people problems is heading to a stand and blasting music for miles. not saying it does not work, but i promise take is low and slow and your success with that e call will multiply. I use regular batteries because well... lets just say i have them readily available at a dirt price. best of luck, and oh boy are you about to be spoiled. Don't leave your hand calls at home though! keep them with you and you never have to worry about how long that battery is going to last. I usually will run mine a whole day and keep an extra eight readily available. when i change them out i put a new set of eight for back up in my pack. pretty simple! have fun

#7 seebass

seebass

Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 11:36 AM

Thanks guys, will def have an extra set WITH me on stand. I just wanted to be sure ill get a day (6-7) stands in before they crash. My wife called and found a set of 4 nimh 2500 mah rechargebles at work for me. So ill have those with me. Opinions.... Should I run 4 and 4 to stretch out the duracells? Or stay with all 8 coppertops? And Grant, we got to get back out to the ranch, its twice as big as I thought, the north side of that back fence is all open to me. It has some nice ridges that climb 50 feet or so. From the top you can see for MILES! Figured better safe than sorry when we were there. Maybe mid Feb sometime?

#8 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,992 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 11:41 AM

Dont mix the batteries. Lots of Guys with rechargeables that run down to fast is often the result of one bad battery in the 8. I have read that from Mike Dillon at Foxpro. For about $4 at radioshak you can get another battery holder that fill snap right into the foxpro. I keep one with reg alkalines for emergencies. Have hardly ever needed them.That would be fun to go again Carlos. Since we were there I have added 50 more new sounds on the Fury.. will they work? Who knows? lol
“Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that require every citizen to prove they are insured... but not everyone must prove they are a citizen.”

#9 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,391 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 13 January 2012 - 11:45 AM

Don't mix different battery types in a device, or the batteries can leak. For example, don't mix NiCads and alkalines. Always use all alkalines, all NiMH's, or all NiCd's.Typically alkaline batteries will not leak under normal stoarage and/or usage conditions. The potential for leakage is significantly increased, however, if the batteries are subjected to charging, mixing of battery chemistries, mixing of fresh and used batteries, physical damage, extended exposure to high temperature or deep discharge.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#10 seebass

seebass

Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 02:26 PM

Thanks for the info grant and SJ, you learn something new everyday!

#11 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,947 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 04:48 PM

My FX5 will last at least 2 days with the foxpro rechargeables and we run 12 to 18 stands a day.

#12 lif2fsh

lif2fsh

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 07:09 AM

Now that you got the battery problem solved all you need now is a pic. of your caller with a coyote under it. :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

#13 seebass

seebass

Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 07:58 AM

Now that you got the battery problem solved all you need now is a pic. of your caller with a coyote under it. :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

I've got 2 threads in the predator section with pics of caller and coyotes. I've been out twice with it, killed 2 called in 7.

#14 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:4Wheeling, Hunting, Target Shooting, Fishing, Camping, Kayaking and Glassing the countryside.

Posted 19 January 2012 - 09:09 PM

Hey Carlos. Once you invest in those rechargable batteries, invest in a DC charger also to connect up to your vehicle between stands to keep them charged. It was the next best thing to buying my Firestorm.Mark
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users