#1 fyraxe

fyraxe

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Interests:Huntin and Fishin

Posted 07 January 2012 - 08:27 PM

I am thinkin on getting a new rifle . ( thats the good news for me ) The bad news is my tiny budget . I have pretty much decided on 22-250 unless somone can talk me into 204 instead. Does anyone have any accuracy info on the H n R single shot rifles. Unfortunatly thats where my budget is at. I know you get what you pay for, if anyone has any input on them I would like to hear it .

#2 gmoney

gmoney

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 09:29 PM

We get a lot of runners at 250 plus yards with 204 I am a little dissapointed with mine. When I say runners its not to bad we find them within 100yds always expired. I think they loose a lot of energy in the splash wound, not like the 204 has tons of energy anyway, it sure shoots flat. All dogs under 250 have been drt

#3 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,355 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 10:04 PM

Thumper has an HR rifle they are not bad the only complaint i heard was it's hard to open with the scope mounted.For the price of a hr you can get a stevens rifle i think.22-250 would be the way to go that will be my next coyote gun if i am to get another.

#4 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,101 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 04:55 AM

I have heard that accuracy is sometimes a crap shoot with the H&R's. Id look at the Savage Axis Bolt gun. I have read many great reports about them, and the price is hard to beat as well. As far as Caliber, unless you hand load Id opt for the 22=250. Most of the Loaded rounds for .204 are of the Vmax Varmint variety so I think you would have more options with the 250. I shoot a .204 and had decent luck with the 40gr Vmax, but some factory rifles wont stabilise the bullets with a factory twist. Check out Buds Guns. For less than $300 you can have one shipped right to your local FFL dealer. Id think it would be a step above the H&R. Good luck.http://www.budsgunsh...age Centerfire/

#5 NVWalt

NVWalt

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,117 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fly fishing, kitebugging, photography, astronomy, hot springing, looking at as many beautiful women as possible.

Posted 08 January 2012 - 08:01 AM

I have shot H&R's that were both good and so-so. I shoot a 17 Rem at present and have replaced 5 differant 22-250's. I would stick to the 22-250. Those subcaliber guns are great on fur but your shot placement is critical and if you are new at coyote calling I don't recomend that you get a subcaliber cartridge. Bear in mind that the 22-250 isn't the holy grail of coyote guns and does have a tendancy to leave some impressive holes to sew up but it will usually anchor whatever you wack with it.The majority of the time. That's my experiance with them anyways. But since I got my 17 I just love that gun and have shot a few coyotes over the few years I have had it with an occasional lost coyote due to my shooting it in a bad spot. Usually a bad shoulder hit instead of the boiler room and the bullet splashes. I use the Hornaday 25 HP's running at over max pressures and well over 4000 fps. Bear in mind though that 99% of my shots are at rather short ranges well under 100 yards and that 17 does the job. Just my two cents for you.....Walt

#6 dangerranger

dangerranger

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • Interests:I am a shooter first and then a hunter. I shoot competitively, most recently in the American Single Shot Association. I have also shot Cowboy action, Silhoettes,etc.. I like to build guns as a hobby.

Posted 08 January 2012 - 08:13 AM

I have H&R rifles in 22 hornet and 223. right out of the box I got great accuracy, If I follow the rules. the first rule is that I must rest the gun as close to the barrel hinge as posible. for some reason they dont shoot concistantly with the front bag out on the fore arm. Ive even seem some with BiPods mounted just in front of the trigger guard. Ill also agree that you will probably be able to find a Stevens 200 for about the same price and have a repeater. They are a Savage 110 without the acu trigger, And are a bargain. I have one in 223. If you are into single shots the H&R is a good gun. broken down it fits nicely under the truck seat, and is always with me. but the Stevens gets the nod when when Im going squirrel hunting and theres a good chance to see a coyote. Good luck DR

#7 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,833 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 08 January 2012 - 08:34 AM

Get the 22-250 in a bolt . A sigle shot 204 is worthles for yotes IMO. Mine is great for rabbits and rats but I like having a second shot fast. HRs can be crap some times. Mine has a after marget barrel that cost more than a savage bolt rifle. Get a bolt rifle in something like 223,22-50, 243 ect. With the 204 you need to get them with a perfect shot.

#8 Heywood

Heywood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 07:00 PM

I have H&R rifles in 22 hornet and 223. right out of the box I got great accuracy, If I follow the rules. the first rule is that I must rest the gun as close to the barrel hinge as posible. for some reason they dont shoot concistantly with the front bag out on the fore arm. Ive even seem some with BiPods mounted just in front of the trigger guard. Ill also agree that you will probably be able to find a Stevens 200 for about the same price and have a repeater. They are a Savage 110 without the acu trigger, And are a bargain. I have one in 223. If you are into single shots the H&R is a good gun. broken down it fits nicely under the truck seat, and is always with me. but the Stevens gets the nod when when Im going squirrel hunting and theres a good chance to see a coyote. Good luck DR

My single shot Ultra Varmint in .223 is one of my favorite squirrel shooters, deadly accurate. It was easy MOA w/ Black Hills Vmax ammo.you can free float the forarms by using an o-ring around the post that holds the forearm. You perform a DIY trigger job on them that really cleans it up.

#9 rabiddog

rabiddog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 07:08 PM

I had an HR in 223 it was the varmint bull barrel model. It shot under 3/4" with hand loads,But the chamber in mine was extremely tight in tolerance, I had to use a small base die for it to eject my hand loads. Trigger was horrible but for 45$ the local smith gave me a nice 3 lb pull. other than that I would have kept it except I wanted a Savage mdl 12 so it got traded in.For the money it was worth it but for Coyotes you may want more rounds cause about 30% of the time you get multiple coyotes coming in.Frank

#10 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,858 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting ,and hog hunting with my dogs.

Posted 08 January 2012 - 07:20 PM

save your money and get a bolt gun.

#11 JimT.

JimT.

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 09:47 PM

I've talked to people in the know that say the 6x47 is the ideal coyote rifle. I want to hear what others have to say about what they think the ideal coyote rifle is? Let's hear it.

#12 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,355 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 07:29 PM

I would just stay with a common caliber where ammo can be found any where,223,22-250, 243

#13 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 08:08 PM

I have a 22-250 and a 243 and would take the 243 over the 22-250.

#14 fyraxe

fyraxe

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Interests:Huntin and Fishin

Posted 09 January 2012 - 08:32 PM

I really like the 17 rem. I had one in a contender 14" with nice burris scope and bipod it was a tacdriver. My son and I gave up paper targets in favor of little plastic army men and barbi dolls for a little more challenge. I figure the 204 would be compareable with a little more umph to it. Right now I am leanin to the 22-250 . I appreciate everyones input thanks :signgreatreport3kg:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users