#1 Kephers

Kephers

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and Shooting

Posted 07 January 2012 - 11:33 AM

Looking for 2 lowers. The first:AR 15 in 223 with some kind of custom engraving on the magazine well. I've seen like a spider and a zombie one. But I would like one thats reliable and well built. I want no play between upper and lower receiver if it can be helped. I want stripped lowers though. I'm building it 100% from the ground up. Just need an idea on a brand.The second:AR 15 in 308 for a "dream build" for a project for later on. Not sure on brands because I've never tried a 308 version.Last thing I need is gauges for 223 first. Headspace, barrel erosion, barrel straightness, firing pin protrusion. I plan on doing a little custom work for my friends and family. No machining just building and I want it all 100% safe and reliable. I was an armorer in the Marine Corps so I'm pretty familiar with this stuff. I need some good but decent priced gauges. Any ideas?Wife says I need a hobby. She fully supports me getting stuff ready for when we get our house the end of this year/beginning of next. I told her 1/2 the garage is for my reloading/armorer set up/gun maintenance area. lol. She likes the idea. I said the rest of the house is yours I want the garage and front room entertainment setup.
OORAH! SEMPER FI!
Call Me Keith!
1 Round Varmint War!

#2 docskinner

docskinner

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Interests:Learning to navigate Cali hunting laws &amp; Regs. <br />Hunting, shooting, fishing.<br />

Posted 07 January 2012 - 12:54 PM

Think your .308 (Large AR - ARMALITE AR-10 types get very touchy about calling all large ARs AR-10s...) choices are far more limited than the small AR platform. I have a Remington R-25 (so DPMS) and it is fine. The only stripped-lower sellers I know of are DPMS, LMT obviously, and JD Machine Tech down in San Diego. Have seen theirs and they are really nice pieces. About a year or so ago there was a group buy arranged through Sac Black Rifle with JD and the stripped lowers were $185@ (it was listed on Calguns). Wish I would have been able to get in on that one. Could always see how many pieces they need for a discount group buy and see if an OL friendly shop will do it.

#3 tommybuilt

tommybuilt

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 05:12 PM

www.franklinarmory.com/My Franklin Armory lower has a screw that eliminates the play between the upper and lower recievers. No engraving on the mag well. They are made in Morgan Hill Ca.

#4 Fjold

Fjold

Traveling hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, hunting and fishing.

Posted 08 January 2012 - 10:14 AM

For the 308 pattern rifle, look at Tactical Machining out of Florida. https://www.tactical...-receivers.htmlThere are two patterns for AR10 rifles. The Armalite style and the DPMS style. The upper and lower receivers are machined differently. The DPMS pattern is more widely used (Remington, DPMS, Tactical maching, etc) and the DPMS pattern parts cost less. The Tac Machining lowers are only $229 while the Armalite lowers usually run about $350. I bought a tactical machining blem lower a couple of years back when they didn't get the anodizing color right and it only cost me $150. They have since gotten the color match better and they mate up perfectly to the DPMS upper receiver as well as their own brand uppers.Posted Image
Frank
One rifle, one planet. Holland's 375
Posted Image

#5 docskinner

docskinner

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Interests:Learning to navigate Cali hunting laws &amp; Regs. <br />Hunting, shooting, fishing.<br />

Posted 08 January 2012 - 10:26 AM

Price is very reasonable on the Tactical Machining site. If you can get someone to receive it for cheap it would be a great deal. Most of the large platform lowers I see around here are well over $300 stripped for either style. How do you like that stock? My problem with the R-25 is that it is camo'ed. Seemed fun at the time, but now changing anything would be rather weird with black on a real tree rifle. Was thinking about that stock, and maybe some of the real tree tape for the body of it. More likely than me building an entire other rifle right now.

#6 DirtyDave

DirtyDave

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 02:18 PM

wow, at a glance i though the title of this thread was "Looking for 2 good lovers" :good:
Hic Ego Statio

#7 Fjold

Fjold

Traveling hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, hunting and fishing.

Posted 08 January 2012 - 09:10 PM

The Magpul PRS is OK. It adjusts finer than the five or 6 position collapsable stocks and has the cheek riser but it's just a fancy toy. I should have built the gun with a match adjustable stock.
Frank
One rifle, one planet. Holland's 375
Posted Image

#8 Kephers

Kephers

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and Shooting

Posted 10 January 2012 - 04:35 PM

I like the spikes tactical zombie lower. With the live, dead and undead selector settings. And of course the zombie in the crosshairs on the magazine well. Looking for a good reliable 3pound trigger mech, and a heavy barrel with low profile gas block, free float tubes and I'll be switching the compensator out later on for a better looking/performing one.
OORAH! SEMPER FI!
Call Me Keith!
1 Round Varmint War!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users