14 replies to this topic

#1 RKP3

RKP3

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 08:43 PM

I haven't posted much since I joined, but I am starting to get back in to coyote hunting. I am currently going to school in the midwest and wanted to setup a shotgun for coyotes. I have a slight idea where to start, but thought I would get some advice here.I have a Benelli Super Black Eagle II. Should I get a aftermarket choke such as an extra-full choke? Or should I be fine using the full choke that comes with the gun. The next thing I needed help with was the shot type. What type of shot should I get. I understand that I should test different setups to find out what patterns the best, but what do you recommend for starters?Thanks for all your help and I will keep you updated with my patterning and hunting.

#2 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting, Fishing, Snow Skiing and RV'ing.

Posted 04 January 2012 - 09:40 PM

#4 Buck and save your money, first pattern the gun with the choke that came with the gun.
Life Member DU, NRA, VHA,CWA, and The OF's of America.

#3 DirtyDave

DirtyDave

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:08 PM

Ditto. #4 buck and a full choke are pretty hard to beat.You can go with a tighter choke if you think you need more range than the full choke will get you
Hic Ego Statio

#4 RKP3

RKP3

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:27 PM

Thanks for the advice. I'll start with the factory full choke with #4 buck. What distance do you usually pattern out to? 25 and 50 yards?

#5 DirtyDave

DirtyDave

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:36 PM

What distance do you usually pattern out to? 25 and 50 yards?

Isnt that the whole purpose of patterning? To see what the pattern looks like at different distances, and to see at what distance your pattern goes to crap?
Hic Ego Statio

#6 RKP3

RKP3

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 06:20 PM

I guess my question should have been " How far out do you usually use a shotgun?" Like I said in the first post, I don't know much about shotgun hunting. Sorry if I used the wrong terminology.Thanks for your help though.

#7 lif2fsh

lif2fsh

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 07:58 PM

Yep try different chokes and different shot and go with what you think is best. Thats part of the fun in this crazy sport and don't forget have fun, and we want to see pics. Lots of info from these guys and a pretty nice bunch at that.

#8 littlejoe

littlejoe

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 09:41 PM

Agree #4buck pattern i like is about a 1-2 in gap in pellets Max, that is your max distance, but the more lead down range the better

#9 dabob

dabob

Bob Morris Foxpro Field Staff

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts
  • Interests:Shooting Sporting Clays, Trap and Skeet, Hunting and Fishing

Posted 06 January 2012 - 09:01 AM

I guess my question should have been " How far out do you usually use a shotgun?" Like I said in the first post, I don't know much about shotgun hunting. Sorry if I used the wrong terminology.Thanks for your help though.

40 yards is the distance most people check their patterns at. If you have a good pattern at 40 yards you should be good to go if you are using lead BBs, lead number 4 buckshot or tungsten BBs, tungsten T shot or tungsten number 4 buckshot.If you find a choke and load that patterns good at 40 yards pattern that same choke and load at 50 yards to see how it looks.I try not to shoot my shotgun at coyotes over 40 yards away even though some of the number 4 buckshot loads and tungsten loads will kill coyotes at farther distances.While using a shotgun on coyotes if you shoot a coyote and it is still moving keep shooting it until it stops moving. Coyotes are very tough animals and they can jump up and take off running when you thought they were dead.
Posted ImageTen Percent FirearmsServing California with all of their firearms needs - or contact us by email.

#10 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 09:30 AM

While using a shotgun on coyotes if you shoot a coyote and it is still moving keep shooting it until it stops moving. Coyotes are very tough animals and they can jump up and take off running when you thought they were dead.

This>I'd look for a nice even pattern between 30-40 yards.Something to remember as well; try not to get too stuck on max ranges. First off most people cannot tell the difference between 40 and 50 yards in the short time frame usually offered with a fast moving coyote. Unlike a rifle where a 50 yard shot or a 100 yard shot are basically the same thing, the difference between say a 30 yard shot gun blast (usually lethal) vs a 50 yarder (questionable) is huge...it's only 20 yards but the difference is a lot.Shotguns are made for up close work...they work good for that. They are unreliable anchor shots after 40 yards. Chasing down wounded animals isn't fun or cool.
ProStaff - ProStaff - Field Staff - I'm very important!

#11 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,330 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 06 January 2012 - 10:00 AM

What tawnoper said. Come on you guys have played Call of Duty and such video games. You just can't kill the bad guys at distance with a shotgun. It works the same way in the field shooting coyotes. Otherwise you'd be benchrest shooting your shotgun at ground squirrels and prairie dogs. :blink:

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#12 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,232 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 05:50 PM

Also search on here for dabobs post's he posted a lot of info on different shot's and penatration tests........................On call of duty shooterjhon i use the saiga shotgun with 20 round mags works great lol

#13 RKP3

RKP3

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 06:11 PM

Thanks for all the help you guys. I will search for dabob's post on shotguns. I'll let you know how the patterning goes, it won't be for a while though. Thanks for the advice!

#14 pete

pete

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Hiking, Fishing, Construction, Water Polo, Swimming, Boat Building, Shooting.

Posted 06 January 2012 - 06:53 PM

You just can't kill the bad guys at distance with a shotgun.

I love how that distance is only about 10 feet.

#15 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 06 January 2012 - 07:31 PM

What tawnoper said. Come on you guys have played Call of Duty and such video games. You just can't kill the bad guys at distance with a shotgun. It works the same way in the field shooting coyotes. Otherwise you'd be benchrest shooting your shotgun at ground squirrels and prairie dogs. :lol:

B) Reminds me of when I got my first real gun and asked dad how far away I could kill a pheasant with my 20ga. I was so pissed when he told me "less than the distance between telephone poles". I waited all those years and still had a gun that had no more range than a good pellet rifle, and it rattled my teeth to boot. :blink: That all faded away once I saw how much fun fast moving targets were though.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users