• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 IamChase

IamChase

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Interests:Hey guys I put an introduction here: http://www.californiapredatorsclub.com/index.php?showtopic=5498&st=1770&gopid=241650&#entry241650

Posted 03 January 2012 - 04:07 PM

Alright guys. The time has come! Here's a list of new things I've gotten that I didn't have (or have better than) the last time I went out on a trip like this):Air rifle- Benjamin Titan NP .22 $150Camera- Nikon Coolpix L105 $90 (Regularly priced at $250, this was on clearance and the display model, and I convinced the associate to give me the in-store "if anything happens to it" warranty for $7)Bug Spray- Holy crap I've forgotten this stuff the last few times I've gone out and its driven me mad!Emergency firestarting kit- Magnesium brick w/ flint $8New medical supplies including saline (which apparently is prescription only now?), and an all around better gunshot wound kit (I've got advanced first-aid skills from the Army, may as well have the tools prepared in case I need them).AND!! I got my Upland Wildlife Stamp =DSo, now that I have that, it brings me to another question. Not that I'm going to be running around shooting every bird that I come across. But what birds can I shoot? I've read all of the rules and regulations and I'm still a little confused on crows (24 per day, but do they have to be considered "pests" in order to be able to shoot them?), what about smaller birds? I know there's a TON of quail out there at Carrizo, so maybe I'll bag some of them!What about pest birds? Thanks for the input, I can't wait to upload some pictures and I'll upload the videos to my youtube channel. For now you can search for: ChaseisThor. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to put outside links. See you guys in a few days!!!

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,473 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 03 January 2012 - 04:11 PM

Starlings and English sparrows are fair game but NO song birds. Make sure you know the difference between a starling and a blackbird too. Good luck have fun.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#3 IamChase

IamChase

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Interests:Hey guys I put an introduction here: http://www.californiapredatorsclub.com/index.php?showtopic=5498&st=1770&gopid=241650&#entry241650

Posted 03 January 2012 - 04:21 PM

Is that any kind of starling (European or otherwise?)? Thank you SJ! You're like the Google of hunting knowledge!

#4 rws fan

rws fan

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Interests:My kids, shootin' stuff, hunting, hiking, scenic beaches, weather, running, imported beer, science, technology, fast cars, fast women, guns etc.

Posted 03 January 2012 - 04:37 PM

Pigeons are fair game too, some of my favorite reactive targets. I'm currently looking for a starling/pigeon spot local to me.Henry

#5 IamChase

IamChase

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 05:10 PM

Very cool. Is anyone aware of the birds that are huntable that like to frequent Carrizo Plains? Thats where I'm headed tomorrow. Also-- Where abouts are you looking rws?

#6 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,838 posts
  • Interests:I've got so many I couldn't list them all. :)

Posted 03 January 2012 - 05:24 PM

The crows are shotgun only even though they are not a game bird. This is because they fall under the Migratory Game Bird Act (or something like that). If you have a depredation permit for a farm or property that you are shooting them on, then you can shoot them with an air gun (at least that is what I've read). Crow season runs from the first Saturday of December and runs for 124 days which puts the end of the Crow Season on April 4th of 2012. Make sure to go to Google and use the Image setting and look up Starlings. That way you can study the photos and get to know the characteristics of the bird (shiny, irridecent feathers with little whitish yellow specks, etc.). Also look up European House Sparrows. There are many birds that look somewhat similar, but they are very different when you look at them through binoculars. Like others have said, always identify before you shoot. :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow: I've prinited out photos of the birds that I'm allowed to hunt with my air rifles so that I can study them and learn to identify them quickly in the field. That way I don't shoot something I'm not supposed to. If you take a little time and study those photos, you'll be safe. Oh, and don't shoot the Banded-Tail Pigeon with your air rifle. From what I remember, that is a no no. :smiley-funny-post-sign:

#7 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,473 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 03 January 2012 - 06:57 PM

Pigeons are fair game too, some of my favorite reactive targets. I'm currently looking for a starling/pigeon spot local to me.Henry

ARH is correct about band-tailed pigeons so don't go hunting up in the hills or where they may have them mostly up in the foothills to the higher peaks. You can shoot rock dove which are the common barn pigeon. Starlings are starlings there's only one flavor. Most birds are a no no unless you know for sure what it is.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#8 IamChase

IamChase

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 08:20 PM

Thank you all for the clarification and suggestions, they've surely added to the hunt that I'm going to have tomorrow. ARH- Thank you for informing me about the crows. They are plenty at Carrizo and I was planning on practicing my marksmanship skills on them, but I guess I'm gonna have to go ahead and bring the Mossberg, I just hope I don't kill my right shoulder if I shoulder the shotgun with my left.SJ- Thanks for clarifying what ARH said about the pigeons. I've checked out the starlings and will make sure I recognize the species before I put them to rest. Also, did you get a chance to take a gander at the PM I sent you?Thanks guys!

#9 IamChase

IamChase

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 04:23 PM

Got a gigantic jack rabbit. Not bad for a newbie, my buddy had to chase him down and finish him off though xD. I'll post pics later, gotta to school :archer-green:

#10 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,838 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 04:28 PM

Nice job IamChase! I look forward to seeing the photos. :archer-green:

#11 IamChase

IamChase

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 05:50 PM

Nice job IamChase! I look forward to seeing the photos. :blink:

Trying to finish homework before I go shooting with a bunch of LEO's tomorrow morning and wont be back till Sunday xD (Just got the invite late last night at 3 in the morning...It was worth him waking me up =D)Unfortunately I couldnt get to my pellet rifle quickly enough, I snagged the 12 gauge, held the barrel about 12 feet above the rabbits body (it was about 80 yards away) and wounded, and my friend finished the sucker off with a body shot, tracked him down and finished him off with a head shot. It was not the cleanest kill ever, looking back I should NOT have fired the shotgun, but we did receive our quarry. Here ya go:Posted ImageMore pictures and videos to come.

#12 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,838 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 07:44 PM

Nice big jack rabbit! Great job!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users