9 replies to this topic

#1 asquirrelsworstenemy

asquirrelsworstenemy

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 03:48 PM

I've had a 6.5 Japanese Rifle for years. Thinking about trying it out for hunting this year. Anyone got any hunting stories/suggestions using this firearm?
Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyways. -John WayneGod made man, Sam Colt made them equal.

#2 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,165 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 07:33 PM

If it shoots good go for it.A long time ago we had a member that used a Russian Nagant to kill coyotes.

#3 Divernhunter

Divernhunter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,203 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fun target shooting, reloading, collecting firearms. Also enjoy scuba diving and welding. Shoot 22RF to 50bmg.

Posted 01 January 2012 - 08:50 PM

Graff & Sons has ammo and brass for that. Be sure to use expanding bullets. Be carefull if you meet a WWII vet in the woods as he might shoot you in a flash-back :cheers:

#4 Rob

Rob

The Varmint Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 09:09 PM

Because if you hit em right it vaporizes them

Isn't that a JAP Arisaki rifle?

#5 Divernhunter

Divernhunter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,203 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fun target shooting, reloading, collecting firearms. Also enjoy scuba diving and welding. Shoot 22RF to 50bmg.

Posted 02 January 2012 - 05:20 PM

My guess is it is a Type38 Arisaka. I have a couple of them. But I need a stock for one as the tip is rotted out.

#6 StoneTower

StoneTower

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • Interests:Pulling the trigger and setting the hook!!!

Posted 15 January 2012 - 02:29 PM

My father who is 87 (and has not shot a gun in years) still have several Arisaka rifles. He used to convert them to 65/308 SOUPER. After the war he says that you could get them for less than $5.00 each. They converted them as you could not get 6.5 Jap brass that was reloadable. Norma made brass several years later, but it was much more expensive than .308 Win. The 65/308 SOUPER wildcat has now become the .260 Remington.

#7 Baxter

Baxter

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 08:26 PM

I have one that was chamber reamed to 257 Roberts. It shoots 6.5x257 Roberts and it is a shooter.

#8 Truckeedan

Truckeedan

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and fishing whenever my wife will let me!

Posted 01 March 2012 - 04:00 PM

Before you go to customizing your Arisaka, you should check with someone who could appraise it's value. Some of those WW2 Arisaka are worth a lot of money in original condition. You should be able to find Arisaka collectors on the web. Once you re-chamber or restock or modify in any way it will loose it's collector value.
Mountain coyotes have more fur.

#9 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,052 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 01 March 2012 - 04:49 PM

Yeah. Don't mess with it if the chrysanthemum on the front receiver ring is still there.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#10 StoneTower

StoneTower

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • Interests:Pulling the trigger and setting the hook!!!

Posted 02 March 2012 - 01:07 PM

Before you go to customizing your Arisaka, you should check with someone who could appraise it's value. Some of those WW2 Arisaka are worth a lot of money in original condition. You should be able to find Arisaka collectors on the web. Once you re-chamber or restock or modify in any way it will loose it's collector value.

I agree 100%. In this day and age, I would never cut up/modify a piece of WWII history. The cost of good gunsmithing now days would make it a very expensive gun in the end anyway. At the time, people could get them dirt cheap and labor was affordable. An off the shelf moderately priced hunting rifle is probably better than the best that you could hope for with one of these conversions. In the late 40's and early 50's many guys were time rich and penny poor.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users