#1 lukem

lukem

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fishing, offroading, cooking

Posted 31 December 2011 - 10:54 PM

Disclaimer: i am well aware that the mosin nagant is not the best rifle for hunting. i also know i should go out and get a nice modern, mid range rifle, and not a hundered dollar antique from Big 5. and i am aware of the many flaws of the mosin nagant (sticky bolt, varying condition, no scope mounts, age). having said that, does anyone have any experience hunting with one? i am not in a steady enough financial postion (im still in school) to think about buying any modern rifle in a similar caliber. from what i hear the mosin is cheap, reliable, accurate, and powerful. so if anyone has had any experience hunting with one of these, please tell.

#2 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,197 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Fishing, Camping

Posted 01 January 2012 - 09:24 AM

Luke, Im sure the rifle can be use for hunting. However finding a suitable ammo for hunting will be a problem even if you can roll your own. The 7.62X54R uses bullet that has a diameter of .311" not a .308" as most might think, so your option there is very limited. If you're going to hunt in an area that prohibits the use of a lead core bullet then good luck finding lead free bullet for your Nagant.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former" Albert Einstein

#3 dangerranger

dangerranger

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • Interests:I am a shooter first and then a hunter. I shoot competitively, most recently in the American Single Shot Association. I have also shot Cowboy action, Silhoettes,etc.. I like to build guns as a hobby.

Posted 01 January 2012 - 11:10 AM

except for the ammo problem your Mosin will be fine. There are several on here who can take them with a stick and string. I started out shooting a 98 mauser back when they could be had for $35. so stay out of the lead free zone and you should be fine. DR

#4 Baxter

Baxter

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 11:34 AM

Lead free is pretty easy to find. http://www.doubletap...products_id=418

#5 SkyWalker209

SkyWalker209

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 08:31 PM

Here's a pic of my Mosin. I bought it at Big 5 for $110. The barrel has been chopped down to 20 1/4", ATI stock and a NcStar scout scope. I've paid about $250 for everything. I can shoot 3" groups at 100 yards. Might be able to do better if I was on a bench.Posted Image

#6 DirtyDave

DirtyDave

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,170 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 12:54 PM

I have killed 1 pig so far with my mosinhttp://www.californi...showtopic=21651
Hic Ego Statio

#7 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 15 May 2012 - 02:52 PM

By the sound of your post you have not yet purchased a Mosin so I will base my answer off that......If a cheap repeater is what you want the Mosin will work but an Enfield or a Mauser would be a much better hunting rifle for just a little bit more money. My only reservation about the Mosin (and the arisaka) is that the safety is no good for a hunting rifle so many folks just don't use them. If you aren't stuck on a bolt, an H&R single shot in the caliber of your choice would also be another way to go on the cheap.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#8 DirtyDave

DirtyDave

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,170 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 02:59 PM

My only reservation about the Mosin (and the arisaka) is that the safety is no good for a hunting rifle so many folks just don't use them.

I agree with this. I put a Timney trigger in mine. It has a real safety now.
Hic Ego Statio

#9 lif2fsh

lif2fsh

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 06:15 PM

lukeum,

Sounds like you just described a savage. :rofl2:

#10 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 06:08 AM

I'd hunt with mine, If you can shoot it well, why not. Your area is probably lead free though. That may be a problem finding ammo
Freedom isn't free, It's paid for in blood! How wonderful, how marvelous is my Saviors love is for Me. He said that it's finished, the debt has been paid for in full.

#11 Kephers

Kephers

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and Shooting

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:55 AM

I cant imagine how you shoot with the scope being so far away :/ even with a long eye relief I would think it would mess with your sight picture.
OORAH! SEMPER FI!
Call Me Keith!
1 Round Varmint War!

#12 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 28 June 2012 - 08:59 PM

It's actually pretty neat with a low power scope. Very easy to shoot with both eyes open and its very quick. Like iron sights that don't have to be lined up, never go blurry, and don't hardly cover any of what you're aiming at.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#13 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 05:47 AM

They say most shots are under 200 yrds anyways. Why not try a red dot lol
Freedom isn't free, It's paid for in blood! How wonderful, how marvelous is my Saviors love is for Me. He said that it's finished, the debt has been paid for in full.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users