#1 Kephers

Kephers

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and Shooting

Posted 31 December 2011 - 02:12 PM

Going to surprise my wife and finally finish her AR 15. Need mounts and a good 300 yard worth scope. Its 223 so I'm not going to have her shooting more than 300 yards maybe only on occasion. It has no handle mount. It looks like this:http://www.google.co...ved=0CE8Q8wIwBAFor scope I'm not looking to spend more than 200 bucks on it. But I want the standard or mil dot setup. Powers I'm open to play with depends on the price.
OORAH! SEMPER FI!
Call Me Keith!
1 Round Varmint War!

#2 GSH

GSH

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, (deer, elk, turkey, upland bird) wanting to get into predator hunting, fishing, mules and packing, fly rc airplanes, ride bicycle, both road and mtb. I also, along with my wife , build western cowboy spurs.

Posted 31 December 2011 - 07:37 PM

Go to opticsplanet.com and you'll find a lot of different scopes at reasonable prices and they also have weaver style mounts you'll need.

#3 docskinner

docskinner

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Interests:Learning to navigate Cali hunting laws &amp; Regs. <br />Hunting, shooting, fishing.<br />

Posted 31 December 2011 - 08:01 PM

A good 3-9x works fine for any of that. Many decent ones out there. YOU DO NOT JUST WANT STANDARD WEAVER MOUNTS! The AR platform puts your nose really close to the charging handle, so scopes usually need to be extended forward. There are many Picatinny rail type mounts available (that is what the rail on the top of your flat top receiver is called). You will probably want to play a bit to figure out what works. I know because I went through all of this for the first time a few ago with my first AR style rifle (a Remington R-25). I still have the basic mount I bought to figure things out with: http://www.midwayusa...5-flattop-matteIt worked really well. You can borrow and return when you figure out how and where (and how high - tricky on ARs!) you want the scope mounted, or if you want to just keep it and use it, I'll sell/trade cheap.

#4 docskinner

docskinner

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Interests:Learning to navigate Cali hunting laws &amp; Regs. <br />Hunting, shooting, fishing.<br />

Posted 31 December 2011 - 08:03 PM

And Natchez Shooters Supply isn't always the cheapest, but they have a really nifty scope finder part of the online catalog you can use and then look around for the cheapest price.(this is an "and" as I have a post waiting moderation - mentioned a specific mount product that I used URL and offered to let you borrow or acquire, so maybe it had a hot word in it)

#5 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 09:42 AM

I have a Larue 109 I think is the model #. I like it, because I can switch to the carry handle in a second and put the scope back on and have the scope still on zero
Freedom isn't free, It's paid for in blood! How wonderful, how marvelous is my Saviors love is for Me. He said that it's finished, the debt has been paid for in full.

#6 pthor

pthor

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Interests:Hunting-Fishing-Reloading-Traveling-Coin collecting

Posted 01 January 2012 - 11:23 AM

I prefer the one piece mount (Rings and bases together) Bought a 1inch setup at Galati International. I can take the scope/rings etc. Of and remount them with 2 large screws ans it retains it's zero. Nice if you like to switch to open sights sometimes.

#7 Red Dog

Red Dog

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 10:48 AM

I have this one and it's sweet.http://www.midwayusa...top-ar-15-matte

#8 SSB

SSB

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 03:27 PM

I picked up an NCStar 3x9 ar scope from Opticplanet for $120. I really like it more than i thought i would. Built-in lever mount that actually re-aligns well if you remove it. BDC accurate to 500 yards. I easily hit the steel at 400 yards with it.http://www.opticspla...riflescope.htmlEntry level, but i really like it.Good Luck

#9 Heywood

Heywood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 07:51 PM

It's a bit dated but still valid. AR-15 Scope Mounts

#10 Kephers

Kephers

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 11:26 AM

I got some mounts off of ebay for 45 bucks. They are 1in with 30mm sleeves if needed, with picotinny mounts straight to the upper. I believe they are high mounts. They are very sturdy and kinda heavy, which is good for my wifes bench/varmint/target rifle. Gonna toss in a 3-9x40 scope for now. cant remember brand off hand I bought it when I was 16 or so. I'm also looking to add a hogue pistol grip, a different butt stock (not sure which yet but something with an adjustable cheek piece), a new compensator, a easy bolt release/catch that mounts around and down into the trigger well in front of the trigger, a new trigger mech with a 3 pound pull. I added quad picotinny rail hand guards that are aircraft aluminum. The mounts stated above and I have a bipod on the way now. I'm thinking of adding a new custom ejection port cover, take down pins with icons on them and a charging handle. Anything else you guys can think of? I thought about getting rid of the front sight assembly and adding a low profile gas block. But I cant remember if that will fit with hand guards because they are drop in and secured but the slip ring and the piece that sits on the backside of the front sight assembly. If the hand guards will work ill take out the front sight and boom. It will look 20x better in my opinion. Any other ideas for upgrades?
OORAH! SEMPER FI!
Call Me Keith!
1 Round Varmint War!

#11 docskinner

docskinner

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 01:00 PM

free float handguards, then can use any front sight base you want.

#12 Kephers

Kephers

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 06:50 PM

I got it set up for now. I want to change the buttstock out to the adjustable cheek piece one. I'll post pics soon. I'm all drugged up right now because I have a pinched nerve in my back. I dont feel like messing with it at the moment. They have me all drugged up with valium, dilaudid and percocets. I went to the ER last night because I could not stand or walk or even crawl. I was in excruciating pain. They took me into the ER and hooked me to an IV for 5 hours and drugged me up. They sent me home for now with all these narcotics to take that arent doing much at all besides putting me to sleep for 4 hours at a time. If it keeps up til tuesday I'm going back for an x-ray to find out if its a herniated disk or slip disk but basically my sciatic nerve is being pinched in my lower back and it hurts more than anything I've ever felt before. I've cut the tips of my 2 of my fingers and toes off and this doesn't even compare. So when I can I'll post some pics guys.
OORAH! SEMPER FI!
Call Me Keith!
1 Round Varmint War!

#13 'Ike'

'Ike'

Predator

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts
  • Interests:Bowhunting, Upland birds with my Labs and Shooting...

Posted 21 January 2012 - 10:35 PM

I went with the Nikon M223 and mount...Really liking it!Attached File  5.jpg   20.83KB   4 downloads
17HMR, .22Cal, 22WMR & .223 - Don't run, it only excites me... :smiley-outta-here:

#14 Kephers

Kephers

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 07:08 PM

I did a 2 piece mount. I like it but they arent adjustable.
OORAH! SEMPER FI!
Call Me Keith!
1 Round Varmint War!

#15 rdsii64

rdsii64

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:51 AM

Going to surprise my wife and finally finish her AR 15. Need mounts and a good 300 yard worth scope. Its 223 so I'm not going to have her shooting more than 300 yards maybe only on occasion. It has no handle mount. It looks like this:http://www.google.co...ved=0CE8Q8wIwBAFor scope I'm not looking to spend more than 200 bucks on it. But I want the standard or mil dot setup. Powers I'm open to play with depends on the price.

One word, WOTAC. Check out sightwonders.com Matt has a no BS life time guarantee on his stuff. (AND I DO MEAN LIFE TIME). His scopes are tough as nails and in your price range.

#16 autocrosser78

autocrosser78

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting, and everything gun related.

Posted 08 February 2012 - 12:28 PM

Mako makes a reasonably priced adjustable cheek collapsible stock. I have one on one of my rifles. As an added bonus it also absorbs some of the recoil. (not that it is needed)

#17 Heywood

Heywood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 06:08 PM

One word, WOTAC. Check out sightwonders.com Matt has a no BS life time guarantee on his stuff. (AND I DO MEAN LIFE TIME). His scopes are tough as nails and in your price range.

www.sightwonders.com doesn't appear to work anymore.

#18 rdsii64

rdsii64

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 12:39 AM

Try this link. http://www.sightwonders.com/ I just checked it and their site is up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users