#1 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,197 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Fishing, Camping

Posted 29 December 2011 - 08:01 PM

The factory barrel on my 300 Win Mag Model 70 Laredo finally gave up it's ghost so I sent it to Jim Gruning shop to have it re-barreled. I ordered one of PacNor Polygonal barrel and have Jim profiled it to match the factory contour. During barrel break in, I noticed severe copper fouling after every shot. The rifle shoots tight but it takes a lot of scrubbing to get the copper out. Talked to Jim and he told me to bring the rifle back and he'll lap it. If the fouling does not improve, I'll send the barrel back to PacNor accompanied with a nice love letter.Here's the 2 - 3 shot group. 165 grain Nosler Accubond on the upper right and 168 grain Nosler Comp on the lower left.Posted ImagePosted Image

#2 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,058 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 08:06 PM

Bummer.. isnt that the same barrel that T.C. is using? R5 rifling like the remmington?

#3 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 08:25 PM

5R is different type of rifling than a Polygon. David Tubbs use Schnider's polygon in his competition rifle and swears by it. Glock and Desert Eagle pistol barrel is a good example of a polygonal barrel. PacNor design however differ slightly than those two examples.

#4 Fjold

Fjold

Traveling hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,811 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, hunting and fishing.

Posted 29 December 2011 - 09:02 PM

Hey Rommel, is that the match or super match barrel? I have a 3 groove, PacNor SM on a 22.250 and it shoots good, not as good as my Kriegers or Bartlein but consistent.

#5 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,058 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 09:11 PM

Isnt the TC Venture poygonal? Im not doubting your knowledge, its just something that I thought I read somewhere.

#6 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 09:37 PM

Hey Rommel, is that the match or super match barrel? I have a 3 groove, PacNor SM on a 22.250 and it shoots good, not as good as my Kriegers or Bartlein but consistent.

Frank, I'm not sure if the polygon is a super match but the price sure reflect that of a super match. I have a 3 grove 12 twist Supermatch on my 308 and it's a shooter also, just as good as my Broughton and KP. This is my second PacNor and I'm still waiting for a response from my inquiry. I'll have it lap first and see what happens.

#7 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 09:57 PM

Isnt the TC Venture poygonal? Im not doubting your knowledge, its just something that I thought I read somewhere.

Grant, i'm just not familiar with the TC Venture. But if TC claimed that their rifling is 5R then it's a different type of rifling than a Polygon. 5R was popularized by Obermeyer although was not the originator of the design. Actually it's was the Russian who came up with it. It's now copied by every barrel manufacturer in the US. 5R barrels has canted land whereas the Polygonal has no defined land and groves. Instead it has rifling that shapes like a rounded polygonal pattern that resembles an octagon or a hexagon. The design is supposed to have a good gas sealing characteristics hence increase in velocity and reduce bullet deformation.

#8 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,058 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 07:43 AM

Thanks for the explanation DF. I found this on TC's site explaining the rifling for Us uninformed Guys.. lolhttp://www.tcarms.co.../5r_rifling.php

#9 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 30 December 2011 - 11:22 AM

Even though it used a hex shape I always thought that the Whitworth rifle was the grandady of the various round cornered bore rifling styles. :)

#10 novaman64

novaman64

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • Interests:motorcycles, shooting, hunting, muscle cars, snow skiing, wakeboarding, barefooting, camping, horses, livestock

Posted 30 December 2011 - 11:33 AM

If you end up ordering another barrel, Id recommend Benchmark up out of WA... great guys and make a nice stick...

#11 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 08:31 PM

Thanks Novaman. I heard nothing but good things about Benchmark also. You can't go wrong with any of the premium barrel in the market these days... they're all good. I have my faith with PacNor. They make accurate barrel, and I know they'll take care of their customer.

#12 300wsm

300wsm

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 09:31 AM

I ordered a PacNor for my 300, three groove, 26 in. #5 fluted. They gave me a 13 week delivery date,so the barrel business must doing be good. I hope it's a shooter. I should see it some time in Feb. I'll give full report when I get it finished.,,300wsm

#13 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 10:09 PM

You can't go wrong with 3 grove. LiLja start making them also. I have one of his 6.5-8 twist no-3 that I'm saving for my 6.5-284.Going back to the PacNor on my 308. I once developed load to match the factory 168 grain Federal Gold Medal Match using Nosler Competition bullet and BLC-2 powder. I had two sets of loads with half a grain difference in powder weight. I fired 2-5 shot groups @ 110 yards using both loads and as you can see from the target below, all nine clustered together with only one bullet missing the group, obviously from operator error. This is the kind of accuracy PacNor are capable of delivering. Posted Image Here's with 155 grain Lapua Scenar Posted ImageHere's a 3 shot group at 510 yards with 155 grain Lapua Scenar that measured 1.048"Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users