• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,741 posts
  • Interests:I've got so many I couldn't list them all. :)

Posted 29 December 2011 - 12:50 PM

Well, I don't own any .177 air rifles and have been thinking about adding an inexpensive one to the collection so that when I feel my daughter is ready to start going with me, she can have something to shoot that's not real heavy and doesn't have any major springer recoil. I may even design a new stock with a closer/smaller grip area and shorter butt area on the stock so her smaller hands and shorter arms can properly hold the gun. Anyway, I saw a post in the Bargain Gate of the Gateway to Airguns site that mentioned that AirgunsDaily.com was having a special on Refurbished Ruger Blackhawk Combos for $59.99 with $14.50 shipping cost for a total of $74.49. This is the same type of gun I purchased for my dad (I got him the Standard Ruger Air Hawk and it cost me around $115.00 at Walmart) except this has the synthetic stock instead of wood, which will hopefully make it just a bit lighter. I liked the way the one I bought for my dad shot... accurate, easy to cock and not much recoil, so I decided to order one of these .177's to add to my small air gun collection. I've read that these are a copy of the RWS34 model. Once I get it, I'll give it a once over and post a couple of pictures. Maybe I'll even get out and do a little pesting with it, but we'll have to wait and see about that. The one I purchased for my dad chrony'd at around 900 to 924 FPS with the 7.9 Crosman Premier Hollow Points which was pretty good and kept great accuracy at 20 yards. The groups were about the size or a nickle or so and it wasn't even broke in all the way. I did run J & B Bore Paste down it and clean the barrel first though, which probably helped alot. I say that because there was a bunch of gunk in that barrel and it took around 50 patches to clean it all out! I'm hoping whatever they send me works well and doesn't leave me with a bad experience. Everyone on the GTA that has purchased from this place in the past says they items are good refurbs, so I'm hopeful. Many on the GTA have also done tunes to them, so if it seems to be under performing, there are a few members that can help me with tips to tune it up. Now it's just a waiting game... waiting for the truck to get here next week :D.

#2 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,741 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 06:43 PM

Well, my Refurbished Ruger BlackHawk arrived today. It got here around noon or so and I was excited, that was until I opened the box. I must say... sadly I was just a little dissappointed. To me, refurbished means just that, that it has been refurbished. If this is refurbished, I hate to see what used ones look like. This gun looked like "Little Cousin Spike" had been using it for a year already. The butt pad on the stock is well worn and has little pieces of the edges torn out of it, there are scratches all over the stock and the plastic parts on the muzzle and the exterior of the scope, there are little rust spots on the barrel and action's metal like it sat in a moist environment for a while with no protective grease or oil on the metal and it looked like it had sat uncovered in a barn and was covered in fine dust. Not exactly what I was expecting. Not being one to turn down a challenge, or a gun that needs some extreme TLC, I tried to put myself in a better frame of mind, pulled out the utility box and immediately disassembled the BlackHawk. First I sprayed the stock with cleaner and wiped it down as best I could. Then I did what I could to clean and touch up the rubber butt pad and cleaned all of the dirt, dust and even (4) semi-small bird feathers out of the interior of the stock where the action is seated. At least the stock is clean and looks somewhat decent now, but I can still easily see the scratches in the stock. I then turned my attention to the action and cleaned and greased the cocking arm, pivot bearing and contacting parts where the barrel hinges on the gun and cleaned all exterior of the metal and then used a gun cleaning grease to help preserve the exterior metal from the elements. Then I reassembled it putting Loctite 242 on all the attachment screws on the stock. Also, there was no hex wrench to use when attaching the scope rings, so I had to dig out one from one of my other scope boxes in order to mount and attach the scope. Then I had to run about (2) patches with barrel cleaning solvent and (25) dry patches down the barrel to clean out some of the rust since I don't have a .177 nylon cleaning brush or jag/loop just yet. Lastly I put some silicone oil on the o-ring (just a drop) at the breech to keep it from drying out. After about 2 hours and 45 minutes of working on the "refurbished" Ruger BlackHawk it now at least looks passible for a refurbished air gun and seems to be properly cleaned and lubricated (thanks to me). I haven't been able to shoot it yet to see if it shoots any good since I need to go either to my local Wally World or Big 5 to purchase some .177 pellets since this is my first .177 air rifle. I hoping it is a decent, inexpensive shooter. It would be great if it will group good at 20 to 30 yards for European House Sparrow and Starling shooting. I'm going to try to get down to Big 5 on Friday and pick up some good pellets. I let you all know if it shoots good or not.

#3 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,145 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 04 January 2012 - 08:27 PM

Maybe it was a misprint and it was supposed to say "retrieved from rubbish." ;)

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#4 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,741 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 10:44 AM

Maybe it was a misprint and it was supposed to say "retrieved from rubbish." :archer-green:

Maybe :sport037fn4: . Seriously though, the owner of the business wrote that this doesn't happen very often, but sometimes a few like that slip through from the factory. He wrote that they don't open the boxes and inspect the refurbs, they just sell them with the understanding that they have been properly cleaned and refurbished at the factory. I've been communicating with the owner and he offered me a $30 refund for my trouble, which I thought was very nice of him. I PM'd him and accepted his offer and I'll see how that goes. Now that I've put a good amount of work into it, it does look much, much better. However, I know where the damages are and I try not to focus on them since it will end up getting a few more during my time owning it. I bought some pellets first thing this morning and the first few shots were really loud! It's not chronying well, for some reason I just keep getting errors (it's most likey the lighting in my office. The few times it did register it came up 1010 FPS and 924 FPS. I'm sure once it settles in it will shoot the CPHP 7.9 pellets around 950 FPS or so. I'll have to wait to sight it in because it is a little loud for my neighborhood right now. When I get a chance to get out where I can shoot this little cannon I'll let you know how the accuracy is. :)

#5 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • Interests:Hunting anything above or below the water. Kayaking, Backpacking, Scuba, Surfing, anything outdoors.

Posted 05 January 2012 - 05:10 PM

AGHTry using some heavier pellets with that .177. Something at least up in the 8.5-9 gr. range. Beeman kodiaks at around 10+grains and some of the heavier JSB pellets I think you will find work pretty good. The heavier pellets should also quiet down your gun a little bit by keeping the fps below the sound barrier and add more resistance to the piston so it doesn't slam home quite so hard. :archer-green: Mc

#6 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,741 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 07:27 PM

I would agree with you mackeralboy. I actually stopped by Big 5 first this morning, but they didn't open for another hour and I had work that I needed to get done. That's why I just jetted over to Wally World and picked up three tins of the CPHP's so that I could at least make sure the rifle was operating properly. I think my local Big 5 carries the .177 JSB pellets which is why I was going to try there first. Maybe I'll try stopping back by there tomorrow, Saturday or Sunday to see if they have any in stock. I'll check and see what else they typically carry too in case I decide to try out different pellets. I know the destroyers don't work good so I'm not even going to purchase any. I've run it over the chrony a few times now and it seems to consistantly be shooting just over 950 FPS with the CPHP 7.9's. Typically between 952 and 956, usually no lower or higher. I like that it seems to be pretty consistant with those numbers. That's a good sign :archer-green:. Now I just need to get those slightly heavier pellets. I'll let you know how it shoots once I'm able to put it on paper. :sport037fn4:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users