• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,833 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting ,and hog hunting with my dogs.

Posted 28 December 2011 - 10:08 AM

more 22 magnum testing.. This time the cci 40 grain hp, the 33 grain Remington v-max and the 30 grain cci +v. The paper media was 3"s thick very compact. The results were the 40 grain hp shot thru and the cci cracked thru with no projectile found. Bug dust. But showed some good energy transfer. The 30 grain bullet stopped at about 2 1/2 "s with a small piece of lead intact. From other testing the cci proved a nice mushroom consistently. No wonder I use to have good luck with it as a hog round. So for the sum up, the cci 40 gr. would make a good choice for a predator round, with the v-max showing good energy transfer and high frangible features. I would like to see how they do on a frontal shot on a coyote.Far as accuracy goes all seem to shoot very well in my rifle. the v-max being almost a one hole @ 100yds, and the worst being the 40 grain cci. You can still cover a 5 shot group with a dime@ 100. Here is some pics .Take note of the photo showing the back of the book stack.. Share your comments!!Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#2 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 28 December 2011 - 01:42 PM

:carnage: Thanks again for both the work and info, and also for making my day. My old Marlin LOVES the CCI 40gr hp's. If I am having a good day, it is 10 shots all into one of those 1" orange stick on circles. I have watched it do nearly .223 damage to jacks also, but never did test all that much about penetration. After seeing that, I don't believe I would have a problem taking a close quarters coyote if the opportunity were to present itself. Again, thanks for all the work and posting.

#3 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,385 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 28 December 2011 - 02:06 PM

That's a good test Eric. But you used a Fisherman's Bible as a backstop that's sacrilege! :carnage:

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#4 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,990 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 02:13 PM

Thanks for the test Eric. I may get some of those for the pesky Raccoons around here.
“Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that require every citizen to prove they are insured... but not everyone must prove they are a citizen.”

#5 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,833 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 02:22 PM

also the real plus to all of this is a good way to get rid of all those books kicking around. I knew you would notice that John!! :carnage:

#6 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 29 December 2011 - 03:55 PM

I don't know if cci still even loads them but have you ever tried the ones loaded with the Speer Gold Dot hollow point bullet? At the time I only had one .22 mag and it absolutely hated them but by the looks of the perfect mushrooms they made it seemed like it would've made a good coyote round (for someone elses rifle) and it doesn't look like there's a load that your ruger wont shoot well.................. :D
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#7 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,833 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 04:48 PM

thanks clampdaddy. I think i have some. Very big hollow point in the end.??

#8 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 29 December 2011 - 08:48 PM

Yep, huge gaping hole. It doesn't look like cci offers it anymore. I wish I could find the three and a half boxes that my marlin didn't like. :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#9 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,385 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 10:56 AM

Eric, have you tried any of these rounds from Hornady, called 22 WMR 45 gr FTX® Critical Defense®? They might be good for what you are doing.http://www.hornady.c...ritical-Defense

Time waits for no one--

#10 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,833 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 07:18 PM

thanks john. ill give them a try next. I did a little bit of 200 yard shooting today ,and the clear winner for that is the v-max stuff. Flys real true and stay flatter than all the rest. I was using the 33 grain remington. and Buckeye balls are the targets, but I am running out of them.

#11 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,385 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 07:53 PM

:) Hey we have plenty of buckeye balls along the creek if you need more practice. :)

Time waits for no one--

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users