• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 novaman64

novaman64

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts
  • Interests:motorcycles, shooting, hunting, muscle cars, snow skiing, wakeboarding, barefooting, camping, horses, livestock

Posted 27 December 2011 - 06:36 PM

Just acquired a few of my Grandpas old rifles... One (my fav) is a old Winchester 1894 30-30. It was his deer rifle, means a good amount to me to have it. Took it out shooting the other day, had a blast. Anyways, I was going to head down and pick up some reloading supplies for it, but was wondering what powders will work... I currently have H4350 and RL-17, anybody use either of these powders with a 30-30 load? If so what bullet?I cant find my Speers reloading manual (recently moved and still unpacking)...Thanks...

#2 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 27 December 2011 - 07:00 PM

I know that 3031 (IMR) has always been a long time favorite of many, but we have had excellent success with both Hodgdon powders H4895 & Varget. However, we have not used them on anything heavier than the 160gr FTX's, but they have worked well for those all the way down to 110 spire points (loaded individually). If you get the chance, try the 110's. They move like a rocket sled on rails, straight and fast. You can load them two at a time, one in the chamber and in the tube. Best of luck.

#3 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Fishing, Camping

Posted 27 December 2011 - 08:07 PM

IMR 4895 or 3031.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former" Albert Einstein

#4 dangerranger

dangerranger

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • Interests:I am a shooter first and then a hunter. I shoot competitively, most recently in the American Single Shot Association. I have also shot Cowboy action, Silhoettes,etc.. I like to build guns as a hobby.

Posted 27 December 2011 - 09:21 PM

One of my favorite loads is a 160 gr lead bullit over 4198 at about 1550 FPS. out of my gun its accurate enough that Id not back down from any shot out to 200yds. the cool thing about the 3030 is it will also shoot 110gr jacketed bullits at 1000 fps for small game just as well. it turns a deer rifle into a bunny gun. DR

#5 novaman64

novaman64

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts
  • Interests:motorcycles, shooting, hunting, muscle cars, snow skiing, wakeboarding, barefooting, camping, horses, livestock

Posted 28 December 2011 - 05:36 AM

Anybody tried that Hornady Monoflex bullet? Its the one they use in their leverevolution ammo...

#6 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 01:31 PM

The leverevolution line-up uses two bullets. The Monoflex (140gr) is the lead-free :carnage: , and the FTX (160gr) that is traditional cup and core bullet.If it is the Monoflex (lead-free :D 140gr) you are asking about, I can not tell you, yet. We bought a box that Midway was clearing out for less than $15 a while back. Don't know why, and don't care for $15! We loaded some just before X-mas but have yet to shoot them. They are definitely a longer bullet, as typical of lead-free :1019: bullet, but it does load to spec and will cycle if loaded correctly. Just don't know how it shoots yet. :D If it is the FTX you are talking about then yes, the FTX is pretty much our go-to bullet in the 30-30 right now, and out of pure coincidence, Hornady recommends the use of H49895 (which we had been using anyways) for these. Not that other powders won't work obviously, but it is a good shooting combo, at least for us.I just thought about it also, as far as the cycling and other stuff, we are shooting it out of an old Winchester also, not a Marlin.

#7 novaman64

novaman64

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 01:33 PM

I was thinking the FTX, I will pick up some boollits and powder and give it a shot (pun intended). Thanks for the info!

#8 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 02:06 PM

No problem. I was going to post the link to Hornady's website where they have all their FTX load data, but am having :carnage: problems at the moment. We'll se if they go through? But they do have it on their website too. Best of luck, hope they work as well for you as they do for us.http://www.hornady.c...-30_win_ftx.pdfhttp://www.hornady.c...loads/load-data

#9 Leonten

Leonten

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 07:17 PM

Years ago I used H-380, 150 grain Hornady bullets with good results. I don't remember the powder charge but it was about maximum according to the reloading manuals. However case life was always very short. The necks split after about 3 reloads. The reason i acquired a T/C in 30 Herrett was because of all the split 30/30 brass I had.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users