1 reply to this topic

#1 Leonten

Leonten

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 09:25 PM

Back in the mid '70's my father & I did a lot of duck hunting. He was born on 12/24/24, so we celebrated Christmas on his birthday. That's when we had the big dinner. My mother, father & I enjoyed wild game. But my brother & 2 sisters thought eating wild game was akin to eating rotting garbage. They wouldn't try anything!!!! So, on Christmas day my brother & sisters had leftovers, mom, dad & I had a duck dinner. During duck season we'd save a few of the big ones for our Christmas day dinner. I'm not certain what seasoning mom used, but she usually stuffed each bird with an onion (or 2), then wrap them with bacon. Well, Christmas is over, had dinner at my sisters house (Christmas eve) and Christmas day at my brothers. Which meant no wild game. I felt a little home sick for the old days. So today I went to Safeway to buy a goose, to my surprise they had some ducks. So I bought a couple. They're huge!!! I know how to bake them, so that's not what I need. What I'd like to get is a good recipe for the seasoning. I'm still going to stuff them with a couple of yellow onions & wrap them with bacon. What type of concoction do you use to season your birds?

#2 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,641 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting, Fishing, Snow Skiing and RV'ing.

Posted 27 December 2011 - 08:34 AM

I don't know how to cook tame duck. All I know is the big tame duck they sell in the store has a thick layer of fat under the skin and a wild duck is much leaner. I would doubt you would need the bacon wrap with a tame duck. Seasoning I use are basic salt, pepper, orange cut up inside with the onion. Sage works good with wild game but don't know about on a tame duck. Try looking up recipes for duck on google or Ducks Unlimited.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users