• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • Interests:Hunting anything above or below the water. Kayaking, Backpacking, Scuba, Surfing, anything outdoors.

Posted 25 December 2011 - 06:41 AM

I'm looking for some advice.....I have been reloading for about 20 years now. I wouldn't call my self an advid reloader but I know the basic's and have got pretty good at reloading the calibers that I mostly shoot. One of the things that keeps me from reloading more often is I dread the step of trimming the case after it has been run though the resizing die. It by far is the longest step in the reloading process and it just seems so painfully time consuming. What I'm looking for are some sujestions on how I could possibly speed up this step? I have been using the set up shown in the picture below for some time now and while hooking the case trimmer up to my cordless drill saves me a workout it does not seem to speed things up all that much. Attached File  7.jpg   19.2KB   5 downloads

#2 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 07:38 AM

One of the things that keeps me from reloading more often is I dread the step of trimming the case after it has been run though the resizing die.

You realize you do not need to trim the case everytime after resizing...right? Or you shouldn't have to. With a properly setup resizing die that just bumps back the shoulder a couple thousands you should be able to get at least a few firing from a case before trimming. When you do trim them, trim them .01 less then spec. I went a longtime with just a hand crank trimmer...it is a tedious chore. I bought a Lee power trimmer probably 20 years ago and it's still going strong. They make all kinds of nice trimmers with steeper price tags...but I'd rather save my money for other stuff. Setup your dies proprerly, trim your brass -.010" and the trimming part of reloading isn't something that comes up too often.merry xmas.

#3 Red Dog

Red Dog

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 08:09 AM

I feel your pain. I have been using a Lee zip trim for a year now. It makes everything a little easier do to the fact that that it spins the brass and not the cutter. I can trim, deburr, and polish one case in about 30 seconds. check this link to see it in action. Its about a 1:10 min video. Now I choose to run my cases through each time they are reloaded. I crimp my cases so it makes for a much more consistant crimp.The Lee zip trim is cheap too. The trimmer only cost about $15. The spring broke in mine after about 10 months and 1,200 cases later, but I repaired it and it's still going strong 400 rounds later. Yea, it broke, but it was cheap and I'm still sucking the life out of it.

#4 dabob

dabob

Bob Morris Foxpro Field Staff

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,729 posts
  • Interests:Shooting Sporting Clays, Trap and Skeet, Hunting and Fishing

Posted 25 December 2011 - 08:14 AM

I agree with tawnoper, you shouldn't have to trim your cases each time you reload them.I bought a RCBS Case Prep Center and set it up for trimming my brass. It is nice to have all of these tools turning right there in front of you.I set up my Lee Cutter like in the above link.In this link it shows a easier way to mount the Lee Cutter on the Prep Center.Merry Christmas everybody!

#5 stephen722

stephen722

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 09:46 AM

Giraud's :bleh[1]: takes the work out of case trimming, easly do 500 an hour with a beer in one hand. and + on trimming short, like 10k short, have fun stephen

#6 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,656 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 25 December 2011 - 01:17 PM

I have a Giraud case trimmer with several collets for different cases.Posted ImageBut I used and still have Possum Hollow trimmers that work exceedingly well chucked up in a cordless drill. Since they use the shoulder of the case to trim from as does the Giraud, all you need do is full length size your brass and then push them into the trimmer. They won't take anymore than is necessary and can't over trim your brass.

#7 zippy1970

zippy1970

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 09:02 PM

Mackeralboy : I feel your pain . My ass is soo slack that when ever trimming was needed I just opened a new bag o brass ( bought lots new ) .But i did it manually for my 308 ( mild loads / as needed ) & have at least 300 rds of 223 base that needs to be trimmed . Depending on the rd ( hot / no hot ) , x's loaded , etc should be any where from 3x loaded ( hot 223 base ) to not at all on my 243 loads which is super mild . I just make the day of it . Do everything at once . But yes , a Guiard would kick ass ! . Or even knowing someone with one can help too . Andy

#8 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • Interests:Hunting anything above or below the water. Kayaking, Backpacking, Scuba, Surfing, anything outdoors.

Posted 28 December 2011 - 06:37 AM

Thanks you guys! :roflmao3[1]: I appreciate all the input and advice. It looks like I've got some researching and shopping online to do.

#9 rdsii64

rdsii64

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:39 AM

I turn my corded drill upside down and put it in my vise, then I chuck up my possum hollow trimmer and go to town. I still have to chamfer when I'm done. If you do large batches at once it helps a lot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users