• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 IamChase

IamChase

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Interests:Hey guys I put an introduction here: http://www.californiapredatorsclub.com/index.php?showtopic=5498&st=1770&gopid=241650&#entry241650

Posted 25 December 2011 - 12:57 AM

Finishing up the last of the wrapping for the kid's stuff in the morning, then a bunch of hectic running around, then when I get home I'll post some pictures of the present I bought for myself! I took it out of the box and shot a pellet through to test the recoil to make sure I could shoot it after my surgery (R shoulder in 2 days) for a hunt coming up the 4th/5th. Pics to follow!(That reminds me, I still need to get my upland wildlife stamp!)

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,485 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 25 December 2011 - 08:13 AM

I don't think the recoil will be an issue but cocking the gun might not be a wise thing right after a shoulder surgery. Best of luck and Merry Christmas.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#3 IamChase

IamChase

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Interests:Hey guys I put an introduction here: http://www.californiapredatorsclub.com/index.php?showtopic=5498&st=1770&gopid=241650&#entry241650

Posted 25 December 2011 - 09:38 AM

I figured I could put the buttstock between my legs and pump it with my left arm. I'm a big strong guy so I figured that wouldnt be an issue, just holding it up even if it is supported.

#4 MikeNC

MikeNC

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 10:04 AM

If it's a rotator cuff repair, it's a real serious issue regardless of size or strength. Pay close attention to what your surgeon says. Hopefully it's not a rotator tear repair.

#5 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,485 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 25 December 2011 - 01:09 PM

Mike makes an excellent point. I have a second rotator cuff that needs surgery but I doubt I'll do it because my last one laid me up for so long. But I need my arms to get up because my knees don't bend. You better talk to your orthopedist before doing any shooting if it's your rotator cuff.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#6 IamChase

IamChase

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 03:25 PM

If it's a rotator cuff repair, it's a real serious issue regardless of size or strength. Pay close attention to what your surgeon says. Hopefully it's not a rotator tear repair.

Thanks guys. I've already had one rotator cuff repair so I know what to expect there. The main reason for this surgery is gonna be a tendon repair and shaving a bunch of bones down,I guess I've got a bunch of bone spurs that need to come out which is why my shoulder slides in and out of place so often (and quite painful, mind you). He said anything .22 will be fine, but I better stay away from anything bigger than that for a couple of months. I had a knee surgery earlier this year (torn minuscus was the main issue, he fixed some other stuff but I don't remember what all he said) and I was out hiking around a week later. I'm pretty beat up for my age (25) but I heal pretty fast. I won't push it too hard, but I don't get to go out hunting with this particular friend very often so come hell or high water I'll be out and about (even if I just get to do the predator calling=D).Just got home from one set of in-laws so I'll take some pictures of the rifle and post them up =D

#7 IamChase

IamChase

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 03:46 PM

Here it is =DPosted Image

#8 IamChase

IamChase

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 04:06 PM

Its this, by the way:http://www.pyramydai..._Air_Rifle/2603

#9 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,838 posts
  • Interests:I've got so many I couldn't list them all. :)

Posted 26 December 2011 - 08:30 AM

Sweet! You are going to have fun with that! One thing to remember is that it is going to take time (unless you season the barrel before shooting) for it to settle in and start getting accurate. Make sure to check all of the screws to ensure they are tight (but don't over tighten because then you are screwed with stripped out fittings) so that you know the action is not shifting around in the stock. I look forward to hearing about the hunts (and maybe going on a few when I can manage some free time) and hope your shoulder operation goes well and heals quickly. :bleh[1]:

#10 IamChase

IamChase

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 04:01 PM

Thanks ARH-- I wasn't able to find any of that stuff locally so I just started blazing pellets through the rifle. I'm doing it in the garage with an extremely home-made pellet trap (a moving box stuffed with about 20 pounds of cardboard with a gigantic stuffed spiderman behind it to catch any that happen to penetrate that far). At 30ft or so the pellets are all pretty much going through the same holes, should I not expect any deviation from that at such a close range? And, I'm beginning to understand what you mean by the scope screws. Every 5 shots I'm re-tightening them (when I think I've pulled a shot, but I realize the scope is just loose xD)Oh man is this addicting! And, its a lot quieter than I expected it to be. Backyard bunnies, beware =D

#11 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,838 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 06:17 PM

I'm telling you buddy... you are on the road to air gun city now :pot: , and there's no turning back :smiley-funny-post-sign: . I love shooting powder burners, but shooting my air rifles is very addictive since I can shoot without being noticed in a lot of different areas and therefore, do not draw the attention you would with even the smallest caliber firearm. Also, "Pellet Guns" don't put off some people like firearms do, which can help you get your foot in the door and smaller private properties for pest control like ground squirrels, gophers or even rabbits. One thing you will definitely want to do when you get a chance is to get some Loctite 242 (blue colored) and use that on the fasteners of the scope mount and rings. If it came with Weaver mounts, you may just need to tighten the screws on the rings a little more to hold the scope in place. My Benjamin Trail NP XL 1100 has weaver rings and I've never had a problem with the scope slipping on it. Anyway, it sounds like you are having a blast with that air gun :). Take it from me, it can easliy become an addiction :roflmao3[1]: . Have fun! ;)

#12 IamChase

IamChase

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 04:52 PM

Got out of surgery earlier and Im feelin fine. He didn't have to repair my rotator cuff :1087: :1087: :1087: :1087: Just shaved off the bone spurs and fixed the AC joint and reinforced it. wewt wewt :1087:

#13 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,838 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 09:34 AM

That's good to hear and good news for you :roflmao3[1]:. Does that mean that your recouperation time will go faster, or do they expect it to be about the same?

#14 IamChase

IamChase

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 03:07 PM

The healing process will be shorter, but when the block wore off last night i realized my shoulder felt like it had acid poured in it. Im young (25) so i should heal fast...now i would heal faster if i could put the smokes down :carnage: Hopefully we will get to do some cotton tale before the 29th!

#15 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,838 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 01:38 PM

Yeah, that smoking will advance you to the grave a bit faster. :)

#16 IamChase

IamChase

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 05:08 PM

So will telling a smoker to quit :) ..... :) (had to!)

#17 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • Interests:Hunting anything above or below the water. Kayaking, Backpacking, Scuba, Surfing, anything outdoors.

Posted 30 December 2011 - 05:35 PM

The healing process will be shorter, but when the block wore off last night i realized my shoulder felt like it had acid poured in it. Im young (25) so i should heal fast...now i would heal faster if i could put the smokes down :) Hopefully we will get to do some cotton tale before the 29th!

Try using your other arm to smoke with. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users