#1 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Fishing, Camping

Posted 23 December 2011 - 11:48 PM

After 16 weeks of waiting, Jim Gruning just completed my 6.5-47 Lapua build just in time for January 1K match. Time to develop load for this baby.Rifle Spec:Blueprinted Remington 700Krieger 8 twist MTU ContourAccuracy International StockGruning 20MOA Picatinny BaseGruning Patented 30MM RingGruning BrakeTimney TriggerPosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former" Albert Einstein

#2 GSH

GSH

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, (deer, elk, turkey, upland bird) wanting to get into predator hunting, fishing, mules and packing, fly rc airplanes, ride bicycle, both road and mtb. I also, along with my wife , build western cowboy spurs.

Posted 24 December 2011 - 06:37 AM

Desert Fox, that's a good looking weapon.

#3 loaders_loft

loaders_loft

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 07:45 AM

Did you bush the firing pin for the small primers?

#4 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 08:07 AM

Nope! but we'll find out after load development do we. I shoot with a couple of guys at our 1K match with same chambering on a Remmy action, and they're just doing fine without bushing the firing pin. They recommend the use of CCI BR primer however which currently I don't have. I have a bunch of Federal Match and Remingtons. I do however has a couple hundred of older Federal Magnum small primer that's no longer made. I use those with my 222 Remington Magnum.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former" Albert Einstein

#5 jeager

jeager

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 09:13 AM

How long is that barrel?What bullet(s), smk or scenar?What Scope for 1k?Thingk I'd like to build a mountain rifle around the 6.5x47.

#6 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 09:35 AM

The barrel is 26 inches without the brake. I have Berger 130 or 140 in mind stoke with Reloader 15 or H4350.For scope however... probably a Nightforce NSX or a Vortex Razor, although I don't mind another MK-4 with TMR, just like in my 338 Lapua. After all, I really like the TMR reticle.

#7 loaders_loft

loaders_loft

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 10:36 AM

Cool thanks, keep me updated if you bush the firing pin. I'm eye balling my tikka for the caliber, should work good with the tikka mag.

#8 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 02:30 PM

I'll probably change bolt before I bushed the firing pin.

#9 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 05:15 PM

Checking max seating depth to fit the AICS magazine using the 308 case as guide. Don't have a 6.5-47 case yet. The 308 is a tad longer than the 6.5-47. The bullet from top to bottom are Sierra 140, 142 and Berger 140. Looks like I have enough room for 40 grains of H4350.Posted Image

#10 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,228 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 06:16 PM

Tell use about that cartridge and why it's so good for long range shooting.It's hard to keep up with all these new rounds.That is a very nice rifle I like it.

#11 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 07:43 PM

A combination of moderate recoil, high ballistic coefficient bullet, longer barrel life makes it a perfect cartridge for competition where hundred of rounds can be fired in a single day.

#12 homemade

homemade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 10:00 PM

I was looking at building one of those when I decided on the 260

#13 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 05:22 PM

I was looking at building one of those when I decided on the 260

You can't go wrong with either one. The performance is almost identical. As a matter of fact I was contemplating on having a 260 Ackley before deciding on the 47.

#14 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 05:33 PM

Thingk I'd like to build a mountain rifle around the 6.5x47.

For a mountain rifle, I will opt for either a 260 or a 6.5-284 to get that extra 'umph. As a matter of fact, I built one in 6.5-284 for that purpose. It's on the heavy side for a mountain rifle, about 9 pounds, but compared to most of my rifle I logged around, it's a lightweight. Posted Image

#15 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 07:17 PM

I'm worried that the 56" objective of the Nightforce would be too big for Gruning mounting system so I borrowed my buddy Franks brand new scope and mounted it in my rifle to check if there's enough clearance. The scope fits perfectly and it looks good on rifle. So I called my buddy Frank to inform him that the scope got stuck on the rifle and it won't come out. :blink: Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#16 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 08:42 PM

Die and component arrived today. Load development will begin soon.Cute little cartridge. L-R. 308 Winchester, 6.5-47 Lapua, 6.5-284 Norma, 7 WSM, 338 Lapua AckleyPosted ImageSetting depth with 130 grain Berger VLD Match.Posted Image

#17 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 09:19 PM

Went to the range late this afternoon. I had one hour of day light left to shoot so no time to even set up the chrono. I loaded the 130 grain Berger VLD using IMR 4350 and Remington 7-1/2 Small Match primer. I can't find H4350 locally so I had to choose between Reloader 15 and the IMR 4350. I have both powder in my inventory. I choose the 4350 because it's a much slower powder than the 15. I loaded 25 round, 5 each starting at 37, 37.5, 38, 38.5 and 39 grain. I seated the bullet .05" off the land. Posted ImageI wasted all 5 of the cartridge loaded with 37 just zeroing the rifle. I made a mistake on slapping the IOR from my 308 into the 6.5 without collimating the scope first. I should have known better. I already wasted 3 rounds when I realized that the scope was way -off.I can see slight extractor marks on the fired case although barely noticeable. Extraction was fine however. I was ready to packed it in but out of curiosity, I decided to try the load with 37.5 grain of powder. It's really getting dark and I could barely see the small red dot on the 6" Shoot N C target at 110 yards. I fired the first shot and I immediately noticed that the bullet landed about an inch low right at the target. I proceeded and fired two more shot but I can't see no other hole. I went to retrieved the target and saw that all three 130 grain Berger made one small ragged hole. Here's the picture of the 3 shot group at 110 yards.Posted ImagePosted ImageI need to start below 37 grain and work up to the desired velocity. This combination is fine! All it need is a little tweaking.

#18 Stan

Stan

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 12:05 AM

Nice looking rifle DF!So Nathan was too busy?Stan

#19 Bennie

Bennie

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,906 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Shooting.

Posted 20 January 2012 - 07:42 AM

Nice rifle and shooting. I would be real happy with a one hole group first time out. Congrats on your new rifle.
Raith Heryford's Guide Service  Salmon, Trout & Steel Head | Striper, Sturgeon & Shad | Duck & Goose HuntingYuba /Sutter Northern CaliforniaCALL 530-870-2697 or emailQuit blowing on the Fur and get to the Hide.

#20 GSH

GSH

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, (deer, elk, turkey, upland bird) wanting to get into predator hunting, fishing, mules and packing, fly rc airplanes, ride bicycle, both road and mtb. I also, along with my wife , build western cowboy spurs.

Posted 20 January 2012 - 09:05 AM

I think I need one of those.

#21 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 06:41 PM

Nice looking rifle DF!So Nathan was too busy?Stan

Stan, Just helping the local economy.

#22 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 10:02 PM

Nice rifle and shooting. I would be real happy with a one hole group first time out. Congrats on your new rifle.

Thanks Bennie. This is the kind of accuracy you can expect from a Gruning Rifle. Finding load won't be a problem either. Just put together what you have and the rifle will shoot just fine.

#23 homemade

homemade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 10:08 PM

do you use any 6mm bullets? i think i might work up some loads for my 243 to shoot 1000 with.If you do what weights and brands do you like?

#24 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 04:48 AM

I don't have much experienced with heavier 6MM bullet... don't own target rifle chambered in 6MM either. I think Fjold here shoots the 243.

#25 loaders_loft

loaders_loft

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 07:03 AM

Most guys use the 115 dtac with a fast twist 243.

#26 homemade

homemade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 02:13 PM

I shall have to look for those.I have never heard of dtac bullets.

#27 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 09:40 PM

My weekend project is putting a damper on my shooting so I took off early from work las Thursday and went to the range. The weather was just perfect for an afternoon shoot, with temperature hovering around 80 degrees. Took both the 6.5 -47 Lapua and the 7 WSM. The 6.5 is shooting really well but needs to speed it up a bit. Fired a couple of 5 shot group @110 yards with 4 different weight powder. I think I'll stay with IMR 4350 for now. I like what I'm seeing.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#28 donkey12

donkey12

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 09:47 PM

Your pictures make me drool on my keyboard :smiley-outta-here:
Don't be stupid

#29 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 09:00 PM

How's the 338 shooting Jeremy.

#30 donkey12

donkey12

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 10:34 PM

Those sierras worked the best. Accuracy still suffers some but I cant help but wonder if its me flinching. Haha
Don't be stupid

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users