18 replies to this topic

#1 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 07:56 AM

Well, after the fantastic salmon season this year, I decided I needed my own boat, to have more options, instead of always fishing with certain friends on their boat all the time. I wanted to be able to take my dad, or brother, or both, or other friends. When looking for a boat, I decided I needed something that will kill two birds with one stone, in other words - fish as well as ducks. I opted for some sort of modified-V platform, a strong enough motor to push 3 guys, a dog and gear...and could run as shallow as the marshes mandated...I came up with the boat below. I had to drive all the way to Oregon to get it, but it was worth it. It's a 16' '02 Crestliner, Mod-V, open bow, with a '03 Yamaha 30/40 factory outboard jet motor (SWEET!) It's got bow storage for two 6 gallon gas tanks. It came with a bimini top, seats, two fish finders, and lots of other gear. The previous owner had the removable bench, shelving and subfloor fabbed and installed, which are all fantastic mods for my purposes. When I bought it it was all aluminum, as seen in the first pics below. I then sanded, primed, and painted, then layered on the camo. That was a chore. Had some friends help me remount the 225 lb. motor - Thanks, Adam (aka Heliman500). After that, I redid all of the electrical and added a bilge pump, 100% new lighting and wiring...all LED for low draw and superior visibility. Rerouted the fuel line, then added all the rod holder mounts, and accessories. It still needs a couple small things, but here it is. Without further ado...I introduce, Lloyd (I named it after my dad's favorite junker car he had).First test run, before stripping it of everything.Attached File  1a.jpg   14.64KB   7 downloadsBase coat of paint after sanding and primingAttached File  2a.jpg   18.58KB   7 downloadsFirst layer of camo going downAttached File  3a.jpg   18.69KB   7 downloadsCamo layers applied and the floor is in.Attached File  4a.jpg   25.89KB   6 downloadsAttached File  5a.jpg   26.76KB   6 downloads

#2 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 08:01 AM

LED bow and stern lights and switch panelAttached File  6a.jpg   19.28KB   6 downloadsAttached File  7a.jpg   15.42KB   6 downloadsSix LED's for interior lighting. Attached File  8a.jpg   15.33KB   6 downloads12V accessory for passenger to use spotlight while navigating the marsh, and gun holder straps.Attached File  9a.jpg   23.58KB   7 downloadsRod holder mountsAttached File  10a.jpg   19.82KB   6 downloadsAttached File  11a.jpg   16.37KB   6 downloadsIt took me about a month to finish, amidst holidays, and redoing one of the rooms in our house in preparation for child #2. It's been a labor of love, but it's going to be a fun boat. If you see it on the Sacramento or American river yanking in some huge salmon or maybe some striper, or in the marshes getting filled up with ducks, stop and say hi.

#3 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 08:15 AM

Looks good jeff, you'll have some fun on that.

#4 BPS

BPS

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • Interests:Predator Calling, Squirrel Shooting, Reloading

Posted 21 December 2011 - 08:17 AM

She looks great Jeff, a good layout, for the dual purpose.Lee :smiley_green_with_envy:

#5 Rimrock

Rimrock

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 09:14 AM

Good job. That will get it done.

#6 seebass

seebass

Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting, Arm Wrestling, Camping and Cooking

Posted 21 December 2011 - 09:31 AM

That's a beauty right there! looks real clean, I like the extras you installed and the camo paint job. Great job dude!

#7 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,579 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 21 December 2011 - 09:39 AM

Nice looking setup Jeff! You made some really neat modifications. :smiley_green_with_envy:

#8 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts
  • Interests:I've got so many I couldn't list them all. :)

Posted 21 December 2011 - 11:50 AM

Wow! You did a great job on that. :smiley_green_with_envy: It not only looks fantastic, but the modifications you made to it are great as well (good forward thinking for all it's uses). :smiley-sorry:

#9 Old timer

Old timer

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts
  • Interests:Hunting (all types) fishing and reading all the posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 12:19 PM

way to go jeff a lot og great times await

#10 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,804 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 21 December 2011 - 06:44 PM

Great job. Looks like a fun toy.

#11 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:4Wheeling, Hunting, Target Shooting, Fishing, Camping, Kayaking and Glassing the countryside.

Posted 21 December 2011 - 08:05 PM

Sweet!!! How many hours are on the motor? That might be your next project. Nothing worse than breaking down in the middle of the lake or river.

#12 Bruce_559

Bruce_559

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Interests:To many to list just ask but to name a few quads, fishing, snowboarding, saltwater fish tanks, trucks, streetbikes (gsxr) and also hogs.......

Posted 22 December 2011 - 12:42 AM

Very nice like that u did all the mods and work yourself. Like the paint...

#13 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 08:08 AM

Thanks guys. The motor has been maintained very well. I have service records for every year of ownership. It is extremely clean under the hood. I will take it to someone here in town probably around April/May of next year and start my own service cycle. Also, I plan to add either a kicker, or high thrust trolling motor further down the road.

#14 screwwork

screwwork

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 08:36 AM

Nice looking boat Jeff, Ducks & fish beware.I am just courious about how deep is your draft and how shallow you thnk it can go?

#15 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 09:48 AM

The draft line right around 12" while sitting still. I've been told, and I believe this boat could run in 6" of water while on plane if need be. I've seen videos of guys in similar boats (16', Mod-V) and the same motor running on top of gravel (1-2" of water). I won't do it, but apparently it can be done. The shallowest I'll need it to go is about 6" of water while running at 5 MPH or less in the marsh at a zero tide. We usually do it in a 12' Valco (14 degree hull) with a prop...I think I'll be fine in this boat.This motor kicks, by the way. GPS speed said 23 MPH in calm water on Folsom Lake. That was with two guys and no gear, though. I imagine three guys, gear and a dog, and it should still do 20 MPH.

#16 screwwork

screwwork

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 10:04 AM

Wow, that is going to be a great hunting & fishing boat for sure.I miss my old 12ft Valco boat for running to the lake for trout.

#17 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,319 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 08:43 AM

You did a great job doing the camo looks like a lot of work.That will make a great duck boat.

#18 andy1621

andy1621

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • Interests:Retired-Catching up on life (Hunting, Rv'ing, Friends, Family & an occasional BEER!)

Posted 24 December 2011 - 07:57 PM

Very nice, Jeff!

#19 JimT.

JimT.

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 01:20 PM

Thanks for sharing. Now go out and enjoy! Take photos and share again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users