11 replies to this topic

#1 Rob

Rob

The Varmint Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 04:00 PM

Hello out there...I got a friend that is looking for two new rifles:Requirements List:Varmint Rifle - 200-400 yards1. 223 - bolt action - wooden stock - ranch rifle (my pal has 3 ARs already and wants to reduce the number of different calibers if possible)2. What scope/ring combo?High cost = ?Midrange cost = ?Large Game - Elk/Bear/Moose Rifle - 200-400 yards1. What caliber would you buy? 7MM? 338? 300 WinMag? - wooden stock2. What scope/ring combo?High cost = ? Cooper? Weatherby?Midrange cost = ? Your dream rifle set is of interest to me...many thanks for the time and responses. :smiley_kewlpics:

#2 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,889 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 04:31 PM

Id have to have 3 rifles for that list. Varmints.. heavy barrel accurate Maybe in a fast flat caliberheavy barrel for high volume shooting. Id need a second for predators however. You get tired of carrying a 26" bull barrel all day. Something accurate and easy to carry. .17 to .22 centerfires come to mind. I dont do much Big Game hunting, but My 7mm Mag Abolt can take care of most animals in North America. Interesting to see what others mention.
“Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that require every citizen to prove they are insured... but not everyone must prove they are a citizen.”

#3 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,832 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting ,and hog hunting with my dogs.

Posted 20 December 2011 - 06:52 PM

7 mag for the big rifle and for the 223 I would choose the remmy lvsf. scopes Leupold vx-3 at least . medium mounts, Talley?. for a ranch rifle wood is a no no unless it is free floated JMHO..400 yards is a big push for a 223 ,a 22-250 or swift would do better. high cost rifle, I would by remington with the thought if it didnt shoot good ,rebarrel it and build a great shooting gun. Ita a roll of the dice with any production gun. Savage and tikka seem to have an edge on accuracy if you like them. I personally like remingtons ,as the aftermarket parts market is huge.

#4 Caneman

Caneman

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 08:04 PM

1. CZ 527 Varmint .204 Rug 6x24 BSA2. Tikka T3 Hunter .308 Win 6x20 Simmons Whitetail Classic

#5 Divernhunter

Divernhunter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,203 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fun target shooting, reloading, collecting firearms. Also enjoy scuba diving and welding. Shoot 22RF to 50bmg.

Posted 20 December 2011 - 08:37 PM

The OP said a 223 so I would get a Savage or Tikka. I have a Rem700 in 223 that is good but this time I would get a Savage or Tikka with a leupold or if you want to spend money a Nightforce scope all in Leupold/redfield base and rings unless the Tikka had rings already like the T-3 rifles do.For the big game(larger than deer) I would get the 338Win mag with a 3.5X10 Leupold scope in Leupold/Redfield mounts in a Savage Laminated stock/a Tikka(not lightweight) or Rem 700. I have a tang safety Ruger in 338win mag. I would also Mag-N-Port the 338 or a 300 or 7mm mag.

#6 DirtyDave

DirtyDave

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 10:56 PM

Rifle #1 - VarmintHigh end: GA Precision "Basic" custom rifle in .223. Barrel length and contour of your choice (depending how heavy you want it). US Optics SN-3 3.2-17 Power Scope with USO base and Rings.Mid range: Rem 700 SPS Varmint .223 rifle. With whatever optics you can afford.Rifle #2 - Big GameHigh end: GA Precision "Basic" custom rifle in pretty much any Magnum Caliber .300 or bigger. Barrel length and contour of your choice (depending how heavy you want it). US Optics SN-3 1.8-10 Power Scope with USO base and Rings.Mid range: Rem 700, Winchester Model 70, Savage 111, etc in any Magnum Caliber .300 or bigger. With whatever optics you can afford.
Hic Ego Statio

#7 gotsch

gotsch

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 10:46 AM

is $$$ not an object for Mr Rob, must be nice

#8 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,958 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 22 December 2011 - 12:02 PM

My two choices would be a .223 on the small caliber end and a .300 Win Mag on the large side. I have had excellent results from both of these calibers over the years. I would have a rifle built if it's possible as I think you get more for your money. I have some very nice rifles built on Remington 700 actions that were very reasonable when they were built and shoot with excellent accuracy. Scopes I like 30mm and the best you can afford is true of any glass. The scope would determine the ring height for the rifle it is installed on.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#9 seebass

seebass

Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting, Arm Wrestling, Camping and Cooking

Posted 22 December 2011 - 05:06 PM

.243 for the smaller cal. Good for predators, deer, and other small game. .300 Win Mag for larger cal. Take down anything North America has to offer, readily available multi choices of ammo also... My :lol: Carlos

#10 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,052 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 24 December 2011 - 12:27 PM

For a good accurate knock around ranch rifle I'd go with a stainless/synthetic tikka T3 Lite in .223 with a 4-12 power scope.For the big rig I'd go with an older stainless Ruger M77 (with iron sights) or the newer African model Hawkeye chambered in .338 winchester mag topped with a 2-7 power scope with a heavy duplex reticle. If I were to be in the wilds of canada or alaska and have a horse roll over on my rifle I'd really like to have a set of iron sights for back up.I would probably add another rifle to fill the gap in between those two. Probably a nice wood/blued bolt gun in .270 or .280 topped with a 3-9 power scope.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#11 Karl

Karl

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 01:32 PM

For the big gun I will stick with the Rem 700 Sendero in 300 Weatherby. For the .223 I have no opinion. I like the 22-250 for bolt action.Like Clampdaddy I need a medium size rifle and the 7mm-08 is very flexible. ;)
Karl

#12 Kephers

Kephers

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and Shooting

Posted 28 December 2011 - 04:27 PM

25-06 for 100-400270 wsm/300 wsm :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow: I'm going on a wsm binge. I'm gonna be picking up either a 270/300 wsm here soon. But the ballistics seem awesome.
OORAH! SEMPER FI!
Call Me Keith!
1 Round Varmint War!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users