• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Divernhunter

Divernhunter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fun target shooting, reloading, collecting firearms. Also enjoy scuba diving and welding. Shoot 22RF to 50bmg.

Posted 19 December 2011 - 12:27 PM

Long story short. I have a tang safety Ruger M77 rifle in 257Roberts which will only shoot 1.5"+ groups at 100 yards and the barrel is shot out. That may be "good enought" but not for me or to give to my daughter. I can get it rebarreled with a premium air gaged Douglas chrome moly barrel for $384+ shipping or a SS barrel for $440+ shipping. The moly barrel would come back unblued. So I would need to have the action/barrel reblued. 1) Does anyone local do the blueing and the cost? OR??2) what if I got the SS barrel and left the reciever blued?? Would that look too weird??

#2 rabiddog

rabiddog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 01:26 PM

See if you can have it Dura-coated. then it wouldn't matter which barrel you get. I have a couple friends up here that do it.cost less than 200.00,I had my Tikka done and it turned out great. Then I had my Savage 223 done one color and it turned out good also. Some rebarreling companies offer coatings also you may look into cost where ever you have work done.Frank
HISTORY, IN GENERAL,ONLY INFORMS US OF WHAT BAD GOVERNMENT IS. THOMAS JEFFERSONANYONE WHO TRADES LIBERTY FOR SECURITY DESERVES NEITHER LIBERTY OR SECURITY. BENJAMIN FRANKLIN

#3 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 19 December 2011 - 02:25 PM

DH, a gunsmith can easily blue your stainless barrel. They won't or cannot blue a factory off the shelf stainless barreled rifle, or so I am told anyhnow, but can on your Douglas s.s. That is also what I did on 2 (or 3(?) of my barrels years ago... I always had Douglas Premium s.s. barrels & blued by the gunsmith. Looked good too! A stainless barrel with blued reciever would be an individual choice on whether liking the looks of it or not. I personally would not like that, but hey??Dura coating is another way to go and have at least one friend that has some of his done that way. Seems fine so far, but the jury is still out for me on Dura coating.Good Luck

#4 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 19 December 2011 - 06:21 PM

I think that a dull stainless barrel on a blued action looks pretty sweet. Especially if the barrel is fluted. Is that a long action? If so you could save some money by reaming the chamber to 25-06. If the barrel isn't totally smoked you should be able to get back into some good rifling for the new throught.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#5 Divernhunter

Divernhunter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fun target shooting, reloading, collecting firearms. Also enjoy scuba diving and welding. Shoot 22RF to 50bmg.

Posted 19 December 2011 - 11:42 PM

The barrel is worn out from one end to the other. Besides I have a super shooting tang safety Ruger M77 in 25-06 already.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users