• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 IamChase

IamChase

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Interests:Hey guys I put an introduction here: http://www.californiapredatorsclub.com/index.php?showtopic=5498&st=1770&gopid=241650&#entry241650

Posted 16 December 2011 - 02:33 PM

First off-- Is it legal to hunt small game with a .177 or do I need to get at least a .22? (f) Air rifles firing pellets and powered by compressed air or gas (0.20 caliber minimum for taking wild turkey); and firearm rifles and pistols for taking rabbits and squirrels, except in Los Angeles County, in addition to the methods listed in (a), (:signgreatreport3kg:, ©, (d) and (e) above;This is the one Ive been looking at and Air Rifle Hunter says that this would be a good starter. I only want it for rabbits, squirrels, and birds. Would I be ok with a .177 as well? How does this one look?http://www.walmart.c...-Scope/16536076

#2 screwwork

screwwork

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 02:54 PM

Yes, see 2011/12 regs.Summary of Upland Game Regulation Changes for 2011-2012• The minimum caliber air rifle for taking wild turkey has been reduced from 0.20 to 0.177(f) Air rifles powered by compressed air or gasand used with any caliber of pellet, except thatwild turkey may only be taken with a pellet that isat least 0.177 caliber;Where do you live? I hope not in LA area.see below.(g) In addition to the methods listed in (a), (:signgreatreport3kg:,©, (d), (e), and (f) above, firearm rifles and pistolsmay be used for taking rabbits and squirrels only;except in Los Angeles County where rifles andpistols may not be used;Now comes the question of humanely killing your hunted game?So many opinions on this question and it is a loaded question, by the best pellet gun you can afford with the most power.

#3 IamChase

IamChase

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Interests:Hey guys I put an introduction here: http://www.californiapredatorsclub.com/index.php?showtopic=5498&st=1770&gopid=241650&#entry241650

Posted 16 December 2011 - 03:12 PM

I do live in LA county, but thats why I have a shotgun. Thanks for the info buddy!

#4 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • Interests:Hunting anything above or below the water. Kayaking, Backpacking, Scuba, Surfing, anything outdoors.

Posted 16 December 2011 - 08:08 PM

Chase, I've got 14 different airguns and in calibers ranging from .177 to .25cal. I would have to say that after a number of years of hunting and taking game with them that I am partial to a gun in .22cal. While a powerful .177 will kill most small game and birds, there is a lot of variables that come into play when hunting with airguns. The bottom line is I have found that to many critters run off wounded from shots from a .177 airgun while very few have from any of my .22cal guns. The gun you are looking at buying is also made in a .22cal version. I would spend the extra $21.00 and get it in .22cal.Check out this link.http://www.pyramydai..._Air_Rifle/2401Mc

#5 airgunny

airgunny

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 08:56 PM

+1^. I have equal .177 as .22 airguns and am partial to .22. A bigger hole is a bigger hole.

#6 tonyd

tonyd

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 03:14 PM

I too have taken advice form this forom and bought a pair .22 air rifles, my son and I have had countless hours of fun, the most productive rabbit hunts so far have been with the pellet rifles.

#7 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,805 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 18 December 2011 - 04:22 PM

Do you suppose that part of that may be he knowledge that you don' hve he range of a centerfire or he fast followup of say a 10/22? So you are approaching the game in a very differen manner?

#8 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • Interests:Hunting anything above or below the water. Kayaking, Backpacking, Scuba, Surfing, anything outdoors.

Posted 18 December 2011 - 07:49 PM

Do you suppose that part of that may be he knowledge that you don' hve he range of a centerfire or he fast followup of say a 10/22? So you are approaching the game in a very differen manner?

Braz ,I have a tricked out Ruger 10/22 with a bull barrel, Hogue stock, and scope. I have taken rabbits with that gun out to 100 yards no problem. These days I hunt bunnies pretty much soley with my pellet guns for the following reasons:1. Unless you are shooting subsonic loads, a .22LR round will break the sound barrier everytime. While you might get the first bunny you shoot at, my experience is that the rest will scatter. I have the same problem with my .177cal Gamo 1250 Hunter. If I shoot anything but the heaviest pellets through it, it will make a sonic "CRACK" and spook the remaining bunnies. One of the advantages of most .22cal pellet rifles is that they will not come close to breaking the sound barrier. Hence no Crack, and more targets to shoot at. 2. While a .22LR will deffinately take out a bunny, I find often that it is almost over kill and I end up with waisted meat. Here again I think that a pellet gun shooting with a minimum of 12FPE, aimed at the head or shoulder of a bunny, has more than enough energy to make a clean kill and not waist any meat. My buddy last year took out a bunny at 60 yards with a stock .22cal Crosman Quest, that put out 16.1 FPE at the muzzle shooting RWS Superdomes. 3. In my opinion, the accuracy of some of the better airguns is such that a .22LR gun does not have that big of advantage if any. My longest bunny kill with my .22cal Benjamin Discovery is 89 yards. My longest kill on a ground squirrel ( a much hardier animal than a bunny in my oppinion) was about 120 yards with my .22cal Gamo 1250 Hunter. So overall I don't think hunting with my airguns forces me to use different tactics than hunting with a .22LR. :smiley_turkey_pop_up_log: Mc

#9 IamChase

IamChase

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 07:21 AM

I put a reply on this yesterday, but I guess I didn't hit "add reply." Anyway-- basically what I said was thank you all very much for your responses. I really appreciate the information that you guys are readily willing to share!

#10 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts
  • Interests:I've got so many I couldn't list them all. :)

Posted 19 December 2011 - 10:00 AM

I would agree with Mackeralboy in that the air rifles typically do not scare off the surrounding potential targets like the report of a .22LR would and do not draw attention like the sonic crack of the powder burner. I've shot a rabbit that was 3 feet from another rabbit. The rabbit went down and the other one just turned around and was looking at it's buddy chewing it's grass like "Hey, Bugs! You o.k.? Bugs?" and in the meantime I've cycled the bolt, reloaded and reacquired that rabbit and "Thwap!" now that one is down too. Especially with my shrouded Marauders, there is so little report noise that it allows me to hunt in places I would never be able to with a firearm, and give me those second and third shots on the surrounding target animals. As far as hunting kill distance (on small game), here's what I could do with each of my air guns:.22 Gamo Whisper - 40 Yards (This one could be better, but for some reason it has never shot well past 40 yards, could also be the crappy scope that is on it :) ).22 Bejamin Trail NP XL 1100 - 85 yards.22 Benjamin Marauder - 100 to 120 Yards.25 Benjamin Marauder - 100 to 135 Yards The Benjamin Trail NP XL 1100 could shoot farther, but it is much more difficult after 80 to 85 yards to hold accuracy due to the double recoil of the nitro-piston. Both of the Marauders are so easy to shoot that if the conditions are right, you can easy kill rabbits and squirrels out to 100 to 120+ yards with the .22 and past that with the .25 Marauder. I actually enjoy hunting small game with my air guns because it kind of like "stealth" shooting. :) :rolleyes:

#11 Hot Brass

Hot Brass

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 10:49 PM

Iam, I hunt with my airguns. I have NO PROBLEM getting the job done with .177 pellets. The secret? Accuracy, and shot placement. A good hit with .177, .20, .22, or .25 will kill all of the game we hunt, that SHOULD be hunted with these calibers. I mainly hunt ground squirrels. .177 is faboulous. I like head and shoulder shots.An RWS Mod 34 will serve you well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users