7 replies to this topic

#1 sbw3181

sbw3181

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 03:51 PM

I have recently have bought a savage axis in. 223. I am intrested in changing it into a. 243 and 22mag. I know people will say just buy the diffrent guns but for the sake of me like to tinker were can I buy barrels to swap out on my gun and also is there a 22mag barrel I can use. What tools do I need to be able to swap out the barrels. Any help I can get is much appreciated.

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,018 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 13 December 2011 - 04:13 PM

You would need different bolts for a center fire and rimfire. Also you would need a larger bolt face switching to .243. It isn't just a matter of switching barrels. Much to much work and money involved in the project. Buy separate guns and save time and frustration.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#3 BPS

BPS

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts
  • Interests:Predator Calling, Squirrel Shooting, Reloading

Posted 13 December 2011 - 04:36 PM

Yep Shooter John hit the nail on the head.If it was something simple like switching between 2 different barrels of the same caliber it would be pretty simple, but once you get into changing out bolts it really starts getting cost prohibitive, especially since its a bargain priced rifle to begin with.I started switching barrels a year or so back & have learned a ton in the process, but I don't change calibers, I just switch between my varmint barrel & my sporter weight barrel in my 22-250.Lee

#4 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,410 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 13 December 2011 - 04:41 PM

SJ's right on here. I love DIY projects also, but at $100 for a bolt (Midway) and a $200 barrel kit, plus a $65 barrel vise, plus I'm sure I'm forgetting something. Not to mention the cost of resighting it every time you change barrels. Why Spend $400 on a $300 rifle?http://www.midwayusa...stainless-steelhttp://www.midwayusa...stainless-steelhttp://www.midwayusa...3-wood-bushings

#5 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • Interests:Hunting anything above or below the water. Kayaking, Backpacking, Scuba, Surfing, anything outdoors.

Posted 13 December 2011 - 04:58 PM

sbw3181,I third the "just buy a second gun in the caliber you want." In addition to the stuff already mentioned that you would have to buy, you would need to buy a set of chamber gages, a barrel vice and wrench, a chamber reamer, and possibly a handfull of other tools and parts. All told you would be looking at probably another $250.00 in addition to the cost of the new barrel, bolt, and magazine parts. If you are looking for one gun to use where you can switch out barrels, try getting a TC Encore and set it up in a rifle configuration. :smiley_kewlpics: Mc

#6 Fjold

Fjold

Traveling hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,775 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, hunting and fishing.

Posted 13 December 2011 - 06:16 PM

You can change the bolthead on the 223 to fit the 243 (about $60 from Sharp shooter supply), you will need a new magazine to fit the 243 and of course the barrel. You can buy pre-chambered 243 barrels that will screw right in to your 223. You will need the barrel nut wrench and a vice with rosin blocks. You will need a second gun for the rimfire cartridge.
Frank
One rifle, one planet. Holland's 375
Posted Image

#7 DirtyDave

DirtyDave

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 11:22 PM

sounds like you need a TC Contender
Hic Ego Statio

#8 Karl

Karl

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 06:49 AM

You need to buy more guns.There are a lot of things you can do to your guns to make them more accurate and get your tinkering fix.Buy more guns.Get a safe.
Karl

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users