28 replies to this topic

#1 DesertDog

DesertDog

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 04:48 PM

Got out with gunnut last Sat and that got me looking into a nice 17HMR, since gunnut says, "you got to get a hummer"! Im sure he was meaning the HMR and not....well you know, the truck. So now Im looking around online and find the CZ 452 Varmint. Anyone know about these? I really like the CZ rifles, quality is good and the pistols are cool to. Im thinking one of these with a nice vari-power scope up to about 14X. Maybe the Bushnell Banner? What do you all think, this would be just a plinking/taking out rodents gun.

#2 weber

weber

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 05:09 PM

Hello,Got a chance to shoot one at a gun expo , and loved the setup . The model I shot had a single set trigger . That feature alone made the gun for me . Ive always liked CZ rifles in my opinon you cant go wrong with one for the price .

#3 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,625 posts
  • Interests:Handloading, hunting, target shooting.

Posted 13 December 2011 - 07:27 AM

.17 HMR is a great round and CZ's are nice rifles. I've got a 452 American .17 HMR and a 452 Varmint .22 WMR. The .17 HMR loves Hornady's new NTX 15.5 grain lead free bullet and consistently shoots them in under an inch at 100 yards -- and that's not even with a Varmint heavy barrel. Love it. The triggers have considerable creep. There are kits you can get to fix them. Take a look at rimfirecentral.com.

#4 Caneman

Caneman

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 10:40 AM

so you like CZ? i was thinking about it in .204

#5 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,625 posts
  • Interests:Handloading, hunting, target shooting.

Posted 13 December 2011 - 11:52 PM

I've never shot a CZ centerfire and I'm not familiar with their line. At the moment, I'm really into Remington 700's. My .204 Ruger is a Remington 700 VLSS (heavy stainless barrel and action with laminate thumbhole stock) with a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 mil-dot on Burris Xtreme tactical 30mm rings and bases. Very accurate and one of my favorites to shoot. Easy to reload, too. Although I tend to get more split case mouths with .204 than .223.

#6 Rusled

Rusled

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 08:24 AM

For the price, nothing beats CZ. Although one may find a cheaper 17HMR, Savage Marlin etc, the CZ rivals some of the higher priced rifles. I own 2 Anshultz 22's , have owned Sako and a Remington 541S. I sold the Sako and the 541S because I did,t like them as much as the Anshultz. I bought and still own a CZ 452 because it is a heck of a 22 for the price, I don't ever plan on selling it. Now I hear CZ makes a 452 with enter changable barrels, 17 hmr and 22. You have to remove the stock, unscrew 2 set screws, remove one barrel and put the other in. To me that is as good as it gets.
Taking America back, one Marxist spider hole at a time.

#7 MikeNC

MikeNC

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 12:45 PM

What do you all think, this would be just a plinking/taking out rodents gun.

I say go for it as you will be hard pressed to find a finer shooter than a CZ and they are nice in the looks department as well. I have a CZ 452 Ultra Lux in .22LR (Middle) The stock design is a bit different with the low rider comb compared to the "American". Some say they have a harder time ligning up their eye with the scope with this style stock; but it has not effected me one iota. It is a virtual tack driver.My other CZ is a CZ527 Varmint in .204 (Top) with the semi bull barrel. The accuracy is superb. That other rifle is my .22 Mag (Bottom) and I opted for a Savage 93. A CZ in 17HMR will be loved by you and hated by any varmint or rodent :two-cents: you come across. have fun with whatever you decide on. So many guns and too little time!Posted Image

#8 Caneman

Caneman

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 02:22 PM

those rifles look great... do they shoot MOA for you?i was thinking about the .204 you have, i almost have the wife convinced my hunting partner (11 year old daughter) needs a rifle, could a 11 year old girl shoot that easily, what is the recoil like?

#9 MikeNC

MikeNC

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 04:25 PM

Definately yes on MOA on all of them. The .204 is like a laser stick out to 300 yards. The CZ I have shoots all .204 ammo exceptionally well from 32gr to 40 gr. I had a Ruger target model that was very accurate with 32 grain, but not so with 40 gr. The CZ likes it all. I do not reload. I mostly shoot Hornady. The .204 recoil is so light that I can watch bullet impact through the scope. Your 11 year old daughter would love it and could handle the recoil with ease and no flinching or recoil wearyness will set in. The CZ is very light compared to the target models. What a great hunting partner you have in your daughter and an understanding and loving wife. Your daughter would love Santa if a long box and CZ .204 was under the Christmas tree....have fun!

#10 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,941 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 06:03 PM

A 17 HMR would not be my first choice for Coyotes. Thats just Me however. Im sure that many may have good luck with the round. For myself I prefer something a little stronger,Centerfire.
“Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that require every citizen to prove they are insured... but not everyone must prove they are a citizen.”

#11 whataboutbob

whataboutbob

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:Upland game hunting, long range fishing, & spending half the summer up in the Bridgeport Ca area

Posted 14 December 2011 - 08:16 PM

I have a 452 in both .17hmr and .17Hm2. They are both fantastic guns. The 452 model is now discontinued by CZ. They offer the 455 model now, and I think the 453 model now in the .17hmr caliber.If you want alot of information look on rimfirecentral.com Theres loads of information on the CZ rimfire rifles on that site.Dave

#12 Caneman

Caneman

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 09:52 AM

how much different is the CZ455 from the CZ452?

#13 MikeNC

MikeNC

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 10:42 AM

All the current CZ models can be checked out here... http://www.cz-usa.com/

#14 Red Dog

Red Dog

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 04:38 PM

I had a savage 17 hmr. The rifle was nice but the round isn't any thing special to me. It's to light to be accurate in the wind and it's to small on ground squirrels to get them to fly much. It also has too much drop for any distance. If you just want a plinker, I'd stick with the old stand by 22lr. My buddies and I each had one and all three of us sold them within a year.

#15 DesertDog

DesertDog

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 04:49 PM

I have a nice 10/22 I was just looking for something with a lil more punch on ground squirrles. Sometimes when we hit them with the 22lr they get back in the holes. We wanted something to knock them dead on the spot without much overkill. Gunnut's 17HMR did just that.What round to you all prefer for ground squirrels?

#16 Rusled

Rusled

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 11:34 PM

. For me a centerfire, even a 22 hornet would make more sense , but that just me. My preferance is 22-250, yet shooting anything under 200 yds with it isn't much fun/ challenge.I can see where the 17hmr might fill the void but the ammo is expensive IMO.

#17 Caneman

Caneman

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 08:21 AM

CZ looks great, have not read a bad comment about them...would it be better to get the .204 in a 22" barrel or the 25" barrel?this would be for hunting yotes, bunnies, and squeeks out to 300 yards...

#18 Rusled

Rusled

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 09:01 AM

Yes

#19 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,193 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 16 December 2011 - 09:07 AM

The .204 might be a bit harsh on bunnies at any distance. Unless you want bunny burger that is.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#20 Caneman

Caneman

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 09:30 AM

hmmm, OK I was also thinking about the .221 Rem Fireball or the .218 Bee... this is for an 11 year old girl

#21 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,193 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 10:15 AM

Just get a .223 and you can find ammo for just about everything she would want to shoot and the ammo is much cheaper too.

Time waits for no one--

#22 MikeNC

MikeNC

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 10:22 AM

The .204 might be a bit harsh on bunnies at any distance. Unless you want bunny burger that is.

Someone mention Bunny burger.... and gravy :drool: Posted Image

#23 Caneman

Caneman

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 10:41 AM

^^^ what the heck, that looks freakin awesome!!! is that a fried egg on top of that bunny?hot sauce on almost everything is mandatory.

#24 Caneman

Caneman

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 10:44 AM

Just get a .223 and you can find ammo for just about everything she would want to shoot and the ammo is much cheaper too.

That's dads gun, the .223 :drool: ... she has shot it but believe it or not she is not comfortable with the slight recoil it has... that is why i thought the .221 would be perfect, much smaller case but enough power to take a yote to 200 yards... i reload so it would be fun to reload the 36 gr Barnes VG for it... what do you think?

#25 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,193 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 10:44 AM

I thought that was possum guts you made up awhile back Mike? :drool:

Time waits for no one--

#26 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,193 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 10:48 AM

Oops! It was squirrel guts on a shingle. :drool: http://www.californi...d...st&p=210681

Time waits for no one--

#27 MikeNC

MikeNC

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 11:05 AM

"hot sauce on almost everything is mandatory"...As the commercial says..."I put that Sheet on Everything" :drool: ShooterJohn is right..That picture has been squirrel guts, possum gravy, coyote helper, etc and I'm sure I'll drag it out again sometime in the future as something else ;) It's actually Army SOS and I make a batch at least once a month as it's good stuff. Yup...those are aig' toppers

#28 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,941 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 11:58 AM

SOS is good stuff! My Mom used to make it..good memories!
“Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that require every citizen to prove they are insured... but not everyone must prove they are a citizen.”

#29 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,833 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting ,and hog hunting with my dogs.

Posted 16 December 2011 - 01:29 PM

It aint how mama fixed it!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users