• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,664 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 12 December 2011 - 09:34 AM

Well, being a weekend and the need for me to process my fruit I decided to make pomegranate jelly. I had originally planted the two small pomegranate trees to give the fruit to my mother. She just loved pomegranates. I was able to give he the first few pomegranates but now that she has passed away I need to do something with the fruit. This year I had over two hundred pomegranates! I have two types of pomegranate trees. One is a Wonderful and the second is a Sweet. They each grow fairly large fruit with slightly different seeds. The Wonderful is much deeper red and the Sweet is a lighter pink. The Wonderful also produces slightly more fruit. Juicing them is the worst part because you have to wear rubber gloves and clothes you don't mind getting splattered in.The recipe is very easy and though sometimes they tell you not to double a recipe I tripled this one.12 cups pomegranate juice15 cups white sugar3 boxes pectinI didn't get any pictures of the juicing because once I start, it just too messy to touch my camera.The fruit and I got allot of doubles this year like the pair in the top of this photo.

Posted Image

The last of the pomegranates picked.

Posted Image

Getting some of the jars ready.

Posted Image

Stirring the pectin in.

Posted ImageFilling the jars.

Posted ImageThe finished product.

Posted Image

I'll only have to do this about five more times to use up all the juice I have stored in 2 liter plastic soda bottles. I put the juice into the soda bottle and refrigerate to let the juice settle for the final straining before it goes into the pot to be cooked up into jelly. It set up great and tastes terrific.I wished I'd have planted these where there is more room because they are growing like weeds! I'll have to seriously prune them back or I'll be overloaded with fruit next year.

#2 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, camping, scuba diving, American Revolution living history, fishing, ham radio.

Posted 12 December 2011 - 10:13 AM

Looks wonderful John. Do you have an easy method to separate the seeds from the juice. Thanks!

#3 Rimrock

Rimrock

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,374 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 10:20 AM

Looking good, John. I'm sure you will really enjoy that. I wish I had more room for gardening.

#4 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 12 December 2011 - 11:24 AM

ONe of my favoriate jelly's. Maybe I should take a trip to Sacramento and pick me up some! Love it! I agree on the room Rod, I just don't have room for anything like trees an such. heck, it's a struggle for me to ge room for a tomato plant.

#5 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,664 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 12 December 2011 - 01:36 PM

Jason I just cut them in half and squeeze them in an orange press. My wife likes to break them apart to get the seeds because she uses them in salads. Then if she does enough I put them in a plactic zip lock bag and roll them with a rolling pin and drin the juice. My way is faster with the press but you get squirted some. When the trees get bigger I'll buy one of these machines for my pomegranates and citrus fruits. :smiley_kewlpics:

#6 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,833 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 13 December 2011 - 05:52 PM

Looks good. :smiley_kewlpics:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users