• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 'Ike'

'Ike'

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts
  • Interests:Bowhunting, Upland birds with my Labs and Shooting...

Posted 11 December 2011 - 09:11 PM

Shooting sticks seem to be a lil lighter and the BiPod a lil more solid...Which one if any are you using? :sport037fn4:

#2 Rimrock

Rimrock

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 10:01 PM

I have never used a BiPod but I have used shooting sticks. They are solid and reliable for straight-away shots. However, on uneven ground or trying to swing around to one side or the other, they are awkward and difficult to move smoothly. A BiPod would probably be the same. I have got to the point that I much prefer a Monopod. Much easier to manipulate and can be very stable when braced against a knee.

#3 seebass

seebass

Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting, Arm Wrestling, Camping and Cooking

Posted 12 December 2011 - 09:09 AM

I have a Harris bipod and shooting sticks. I think you gain more swing with sticks, and lose a tad in stability. (you never know when the leg may slip)With the bp you have stability, with less swing. I like the bp for big game hunting, but when out for coyotes and squirrels it feels a bit restrictive, imo. Go with what gives you the best shot.Carlos

#4 BPS

BPS

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • Interests:Predator Calling, Squirrel Shooting, Reloading

Posted 12 December 2011 - 09:29 AM

I run a Harris on my rifle aswell, its great for holding the rifle up at the ready, but pretty much every shot I've taken in the field has been an off hand shot, because the bi pod is either set to high or to low.I've had issues where I couldn't get on target because the legs of the Bi Pod were getting hung up on rocks or limbs on the ground, when that happens I take off the Bi Pod & use the sticks for a stand then put it back on & swear off the sticks.....I think the best set up out there would be the Trigger stick Bi Pod, cause you can adjust the height with one hand without ever taking your eyes off the target. I bought one of their mono pods, but it wasn't steady enough for me to replace my Bi Pod with it.Lee

#5 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 09:52 AM

Sticks are definately more versitle as far as setting up but if you are going to use your rifle as a back up to your shot gun then a bipod is better. If you are hunting with 2 people it's not an issue, just put one of you on a shot gun and the other on a rifle.

#6 Caneman

Caneman

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 10:41 AM

free hand!!

#7 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,836 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 13 December 2011 - 09:02 AM

Tried sticks and bibod but they just get in the way of the arrow. I use both on my rifles. They all work.

#8 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 13 December 2011 - 10:15 AM

I've had issues where I couldn't get on target because the legs of the Bi Pod were getting hung up on rocks or limbs on the ground

the bi pod is either set to high or to low.

Exactly, and has been my experience with bipods for predators. I love them for deer etc, but not predator work due to the reasons above. I use shooting stix for predators, but the ones I have (by PredatorStix(?) are no longer produced. Browning comes the closest to mine and comes in either collapsible or fixed leg. I like the fixed legs myself. On Browning's website, their Item # is 129360 for $39.00. Or just go the Varmint Al's website and make something similar to his. I find neither is perfect in all situations, but for me, the shooting stix come the closest. Good Luck in your decisionFrank

#9 Mick17

Mick17

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:I love shooting all types of guns and hunting. I shoot and reload for my shotgun, my .45, and my .223. I love deer hunting ,but there aren't very many deer these days. I really enjoy Coyote hunting. It's very exciting calling in a wild animal. I also try to practice with my .45's as much as I can. I am a member of the NRA and the CRPA.

Posted 13 December 2011 - 02:29 PM

I tried using a bipod, but found that it was generally too short for me to see through the scope. Lately I've been using shooting sticks. I either use the straight sticks that I made. For ease in turning, I like the sticks that are attached to the foreend of the rifle with a piece of rubber. With those, I can move the rifle with the sticks.

#10 Rob

Rob

The Varmint Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 04:42 PM

BogPod is the best...but I do have stuff that I used before I got on the Bog...Short SticksTall SticksTrees... :smiley_kewlpics:

#11 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 07:15 PM

I use both, but terrain dictates which is best for me. If there is tall grass, shrubs, Bipods dont swing well. Also if you are on uneven ground they dont adjust enough for me, at least in My case. Varmint Al's shooting sticks are very hard to beat. You can swing the sticks grabbing them at the Y just below the rifle, and if you have some long nails in the bottom of the sticks. they will grab just about anywhere you plant them. If I only had one shooting aid, I'd have to go with the sticks.. Good luck.

#12 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:4Wheeling, Hunting, Target Shooting, Fishing, Camping, Kayaking and Glassing the countryside.

Posted 13 December 2011 - 08:35 PM

I started out using Harris bipods but found them too limiting, then went to shooting sticks. Lately, I've been using the sticks just to hold the rifle in the ready position then picking up the rifle and shooting off hand if they are close (100yds or less). Further than that, I stay on the sticks. You'll just have to try them and find out what works for you. I've even used the spare tire on my Jeep for a rest (off the roads and trails of course).

#13 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,355 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 10:20 AM

I use both to and also just my knee if they run in close like 50 yards.you can get a cheap mono pod at wal-mart for 10 bucks don't use it for walking or it will break but for coyote hunting it's ok.

#14 Rimrock

Rimrock

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 12:38 PM

For a cheaper mono pod go to a thrift store and buy a golf club (a driver is longest). Cut the head off, throw a little camo paint on and put some kind of end on it. A .38 or.357 empty hull works well if you don't need a sharp point. The leather handle makes a great rifle rest. If you like a longer one, get a ski pole and knock the basket off. Attached File  1.jpg   13.07KB   7 downloads Attached File  2.jpg   28.79KB   6 downloads

#15 BearWhoHunts

BearWhoHunts

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Interests:I am into foraging of all kinds. Hunting for game is just one aspect. Every time I am out in the back country I am looking for edible, useful and medicinal flora and fauna. I am also constantly working on survival skills. Hunted as a boy for squirrel, rabbit and some upland birds. I am a farmer by trade and I work for an organic farm founded on ethical work practices.

Posted 14 December 2011 - 12:48 PM

I have used both and they both have their pros and cons outlined above. About a year ago I ran into a hunter with Stoney Point Steady Stix and he let me give them a try for a bit. I loved them so much that I got myself a set and they work pretty darn good. I have had a leg slip but it was on wet rocks. User error. :two-cents: If I ever break the pair I have I will not hesitate to get myself another and I am giving at least one out as a x-mas gift this year!

#16 lenny

lenny

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts
  • Location:Buena Park, CA............. 17 Coyote kills.. 1 Bob Cat
  • Interests:hunting/offroad racing/drinking beer at the river and drinking beer.

Posted 14 December 2011 - 06:52 PM

Attached File  gbp1x__56733_zoom.jpg   4.01KB   6 downloadsI pick up this ajustable vangaurd bipod works great, round base fits my AR15 perfect and the top turns

#17 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:4Wheeling, Hunting, Target Shooting, Fishing, Camping, Kayaking and Glassing the countryside.

Posted 15 December 2011 - 07:29 PM

That's what I've been using but they clanked so loudly that I covered them in camo tape. The extendable legs, I just painted with some flat desert tan spray paint. Most of the time it's just used to hold my rifle in the ready till something comes in. I like the rotating yoke though!

#18 Possumal

Possumal

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 03:27 AM

Fellows, I really believe that Bog Gear products are on the cutting edge in this area. I am getting ready to post a photo shoot on the infinite variety of using their products. I wouldn't go to the field without them. They have even developed a product that works well with pistols and AR's. Keep an eye on their developments, and their attention to quality.

#19 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 08:10 AM

I am using a tripod actually. Works great on uneven ground.Darren

#20 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 08:33 AM

DMan I used a tripod a few times too. Took a top from a Stoneypoint Monopod and it screwed right on to the tripod. Its very adjustable and steady just a little too bulky for carrying for Me. Im thinking of building a new top for it however to hold the Foxpro and a small decoy just for fun.

#21 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 16 December 2011 - 01:54 PM

Posted ImageWell, I have many different types of bi pods & shooting stix, including 2 of the above. With the bottom strap on as shown above, I often could not raise or lower the height without constantly "screwing or unscrewing" the (noisy & time consuming) legs, as the strap prevented spreading the legs in or out for proper height as you would on a "normal" set of stix. That is why I abandon them... until now! I just now cut off the bottom strap & the stix seem to work much better (in my back yard). I can raise & lower the height without screwing the legs in & out... like a real shooting stix should be. LOL I do like the swivel head at top. Anyway, I will give these another try next time out. I also think I would prefer a "pointed" tip at the bottom of the legs, but guess I cannot be too picky, eh? lolFrank

#22 seebass

seebass

Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting, Arm Wrestling, Camping and Cooking

Posted 16 December 2011 - 02:04 PM

Pointed tips or cutoff screws make all the difference IMO. Makes sticks ten fold sturdier. It helps with confidence that they won't slip just as you pull the trigger. I used Grants sticks with screws in the end, and went home and immediately switch mine only to leave them at my last stand! Grrrrrr! Carlos

#23 'Ike'

'Ike'

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts
  • Interests:Bowhunting, Upland birds with my Labs and Shooting...

Posted 16 December 2011 - 06:35 PM

For a cheaper mono pod go to a thrift store and buy a golf club (a driver is longest). Cut the head off, throw a little camo paint on and put some kind of end on it. A .38 or.357 empty hull works well if you don't need a sharp point. The leather handle makes a great rifle rest. If you like a longer one, get a ski pole and knock the basket off. Attached File  1.jpg   13.07KB   7 downloads Attached File  2.jpg   28.79KB   6 downloads

LoL! To funny, I like it...Can't hit a golf ball worth a damn anyway, so might as well use 'em for something. :signgreatreport3kg:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users