• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Poslo

Poslo

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts
  • Interests:Family, fishing, rowing, photography, and hunting.

Posted 09 December 2011 - 06:41 PM

So I'm looking for some tips for quail hunting with an air rifle. Most people I've talked to wish me luck and tell me to get a shotgun.

#2 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,872 posts
  • Interests:I've got so many I couldn't list them all. :)

Posted 09 December 2011 - 07:00 PM

That's pretty much the respose I get to when I talk about hunting quail with an air rifle. :roflmao3[1]: The only advice I could give is to find a spot that you know where they are (either you have seen them, without them seeing you, or you can hear them). Then find some decent cover where you think they are nearby and where there are a few clearings. Then it's a waiting game. When they come out, then you can take aim and score one. In my limited experience, most I've seen are out foraging very early in the morning when the sun is just allowing enough light for them to see the eats on the ground or bushes. If they spot any movement, they are off in a heartbeat. So being well camo'd is important and having good cover helps to conceal you even more. Hunting quail with an air rifle is a real tough one. When I tell quail hunters that I am going to try for quail with an air rifle, they basically give me a look like I just told them I'm an alien from Pluto. Then they tell me that I'm in for a real difficult hunt. Which is true. However, if you know the animals behavior and habits you can increase your chance of success that much more. I hope you get some and I hope I get some too. :hellohello9il:

#3 rws fan

rws fan

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Interests:My kids, shootin' stuff, hunting, hiking, scenic beaches, weather, running, imported beer, science, technology, fast cars, fast women, guns etc.

Posted 09 December 2011 - 10:15 PM

I've bagged me some with a couple of my airguns on my buddies property. I got my P-rod just for quail that think they are safe in the scrub oak. Got some pics too from opening day this year only got 2 though.. they were pretty good fried up..Posted ImagePosted ImageHenry

#4 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,872 posts
  • Interests:I've got so many I couldn't list them all. :)

Posted 10 December 2011 - 10:36 AM

:good: Those look pretty tasty! I'll have to get out and try for some quail real soon. Nice shots there and great job! :smiley_kewlpics:

#5 Poslo

Poslo

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts
  • Interests:Family, fishing, rowing, photography, and hunting.

Posted 10 December 2011 - 05:00 PM

Thanks for the tips ARH. Henry, those are some nice looking birds, before and after frying. By the way, I went out to the Los Padres again today for a big fat nada. It was my second time hunting period. On my way back to my car I saw some guys who warned me that there was a game warden up the hill where people park. I didn't really care, but to keep the moment from being too awkward I thanked them and headed up to my car. The warden was there and checked my rifle (sort of snickered when I told him it was a pellet gun) and asked what I had been doing. I told him I was hunting for small game. He checked my license and said that he was there because some other guys (the ones I ran into) were down the hill target shooting and I guess that's a no no. We talked for a few minutes and I left as one of the guys came up and got cited.

#6 rws fan

rws fan

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Interests:My kids, shootin' stuff, hunting, hiking, scenic beaches, weather, running, imported beer, science, technology, fast cars, fast women, guns etc.

Posted 11 December 2011 - 12:12 AM

Thanks guys. I could have got more that day but was trying to get after a couple nuisance ground squirrels. You really have to get close to shoot the quail or like 30+ yards from my experience. The two I shot that day just happen to fly into my friends property and was able to take 2 quick shots at about 60 yards with my .22 marauder. Other times I've got pretty close like less than 10 feet, since they like to use the scrub oak as cover where I hunt. It would of been perfect for a marauder pistol with stock but I didn't have one then...As for Los padres, where did you go exactly? I went out there with my buddy earlier this year to lockwood valley so he can show me the area and we heard quail around us while we were hiking in since the gate was closed. It was steep terrain though and they weren't in season. We also saw jack-rabbits, ground squirrels and cotton-tails, but they were too close to the road.We also ran into a warden that just checked our licenses and left...Oh i just remembered I got a couple of pictures of the area we went to, it was a very nice day..Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImageHenry

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users