6 replies to this topic

#1 64ssking

64ssking

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 07:21 PM

Can you have your knife covered (on your belt but covered by t-shirt) when your out?

#2 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,872 posts
  • Interests:I've got so many I couldn't list them all. :)

Posted 05 December 2011 - 11:07 PM

I almost always carry a knife. It's in my front pants pocket with the clip showing on the outside of the pocket. I don't know if it's legal though. I don't see why not. I'll have to look around.

#3 64ssking

64ssking

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 07:48 AM

One of my coworkers says when out hunting he carries a concealed knife and gun. I have no Idea about that being legal. Most of the time my shirt covers my knife, and I would like to take a hand gun with me but dint want to get in trouble.

#4 yoteblaster

yoteblaster

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • Interests:Huntin' yotes, Huntin', fishin', Atv'n, Campin', shootin'Military history

Posted 06 December 2011 - 07:55 AM

A LONG READ - BUT HOPEFULLY KEEP YOUR BUTTS OUTTA JAIL CA Penal Code20200. A knife carried in a sheath that is worn openly suspendedfrom the waist of the wearer is not concealed within the meaning ofSection 16140, 16340, 17350, or 21310.12027 (g) Licensed hunters or fishermen carrying pistols, revolvers, orother firearms capable of being concealed upon the person whileengaged in hunting or fishing, or transporting those firearmsunloaded when going to or returning from the hunting or fishingexpedition.653k. Every person who possesses in the passenger's or driver'sarea of any motor vehicle in any public place or place open to thepublic, carries upon his or her person, and every person who sells,offers for sale, exposes for sale, loans, transfers, or gives to anyother person a switchblade knife having a blade two or more inches inlength is guilty of a misdemeanor. For the purposes of this section, "switchblade knife" means aknife having the appearance of a pocketknife and includes aspring-blade knife, snap-blade knife, gravity knife or any othersimilar type knife, the blade or blades of which are two or moreinches in length and which can be released automatically by a flickof a button, pressure on the handle, flip of the wrist or othermechanical device, or is released by the weight of the blade or byany type of mechanism whatsoever. "Switchblade knife" does notinclude a knife that opens with one hand utilizing thumb pressureapplied solely to the blade of the knife or a thumb stud attached tothe blade, provided that the knife has a detent or other mechanismthat provides resistance that must be overcome in opening the blade,or that biases the blade back toward its closed position. For purposes of this section, "passenger's or driver's area" meansthat part of a motor vehicle which is designed to carry the driverand passengers, including any interior compartment or space therein.12020. (d) Knives carried in sheaths which are worn openly suspended fromthe waist of the wearer are not concealed within the meaning of thissection.

#5 True2ThySelf

True2ThySelf

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 07:59 AM

I carry a KA-BAR on my belt. I always tuck in my shirt but if my shirt becomes untucked and it's too much of a hassle to tuck it in I always make sure to tuck my shirt behind the handle so the full sheath is visible (better safe than sorry). I think it was my dad who told me that a folding knife less than 3 inches was considered a pocket knive and could be kept in your pocket (don't take this at face value; check with law enforcement).Someone has suggested to me before that no matter what you find on the internet, it's you that will be held responsible if the information you have is wrong. It would probably be best if you contacted your local law enforcement agency to find out the legistation regarding knives.

#6 64ssking

64ssking

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 10:25 AM

I am going to carry a copy of the penal code if I start taking my sig on my hunting( more like hiking) trips.thanks for the help. Hey true2thyself what k bar do you have?

#7 IamChase

IamChase

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Interests:Hey guys I put an introduction here: http://www.californiapredatorsclub.com/index.php?showtopic=5498&st=1770&gopid=241650&#entry241650

Posted 06 December 2011 - 08:58 PM

California Penal Code 12021 covers most weapons. Basically it doesn't matter as long as it is not a "gravity" knife or spring assisted. I carry a big M-Tech on my hip almost everywhere I go. Not neccesarily because I feel the need to protect myself, but just because I can and I love seeing the looks on peoples faces when you're walking around with a 7 inch knife on your waist. I was confronted once by a sheriff asking me why, I told him "not that its any of your business, but I'm on the lookout for sasquatch and because PC 12021 says that I can." He just laughed and said make sure it doesn't become concealed (shirt untucking). Even then, I have 3 other sheriff friends who have all said it comes down to "spirit of the law." Are you being an idiot with it? Then they don't care.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users