Photo

Finally! Private Land Rabbit Hunt Success!

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,841 posts
  • Interests:I've got so many I couldn't list them all. :)

Posted 05 December 2011 - 01:58 PM

Well, I haven't gotten any game for a while and was getting a little bummed, but was not going to give up. This weekend we went to visit some family that lives about an hour away from me and decided to take my .22 and .25 Marauders with me along with some targets to do some zeroing in of the .25 Marauder. They live on about 3 to 5 acres of land where all of the lots about about that size and in hilly, mountain type terrain. While talking to them I brought out the air rifles and showed them to them. They were very surprised that they were so powerful and nothing like what they pictured (they though the were like the daisy or crosman lower power BB or Pellet rifles). After showing them to them and explaining how they worked, they mentioned that they have been having problems with coyotes in the area and on their property. I'll be back to set something up and take those critters out another time. Also mentioned in the conversation was that there were cottontails that come out about 1 1/2 hours or so before dusk. I asked if they would mind if I hunted for some of them and explained that if it was alright, I would never take an unsafe shot, ever. They said "no problem, go right ahead". Yippie! Finally another permission (though obtained much more easily that approaching a stranger, which I have yet to try). Now I just had to find some wabbits! While setting up to zero in my .25 I decided to take a look on the lower part of the lot with my binos to see if anything was out yet. The time was right around 3:30pm. I moved behind a tractor and started glassing. Bingo! Two nice sized cottontails were out munching near some brush. I slowly backed away and once I got around the corner I bolted for the location I had left my .22 Marauder. I grabbed it and my range finder and took off back for the spot where I would most likely be able to safely shoot from while hiding my presence a best I could. The larger rabbit was at 27 yards so I lined up my shot, slowed my breathing and eased back on the trigger. Thwap! A perfect head shot with the pellet passing clean through! The rabbit dropped and never twitched. I immediately noticed that the other rabbit had moved but was still visible, looking at it's fallen companion. However it was slighly behind some grassy brush making the shot not as clear as I would have liked. I lined up the shot and saw it hit some of the brush and the rabbit took off. It must have been deflected by the twigs and I totaly missed the shot. Rats! Well I went down to claim my prize with a smile on my face. Brought it back up and my daughter was so excited that I finally had gotten another rabbit. She even had my wife take pictures of her with it she was so happy. Anyway, I quickly cleaned it, checking for health and any possible reasons not to keep it. It was fine.Here's a photo of the rabbit.Attached File  1.jpg   17.99KB   4 downloads After cleaning the rabbit and bagging it for freezing, I decided to check again. The other rabbit was back out again. This time at around 31 yards. I calmly lined up the shot and another perfect head shot! I brought it up and set it on the counter I was using to clean them. I decided to look down from that area and saw two more out. I didn't have my range finder with me then and had to guess at the range. I figured it at about 40 yards, lined up my shot, not having anywhere to rest or steady my shot and fired. A hit, but not perfect. It had hit low for a lung shot which is still good, but the rabbit was kicking a little. So I rushed down, since the other had left the area and finished it off with a head shot. I didn't get any photos of those two until after I cooked them while we were there for dinner.Here's a photo of the baked rabbits in bacon...Attached File  2.jpg   20.63KB   4 downloads I thought it tasted real good and knew it would be slightly on the chewy side since I'd only soaked it in brine for around 1/2 an hour. I'll be having the left overs for dinner tonight! Well, my daughter was happy she got to eat rabbit again and even asked me to save one of the pelts to tan for her (which made it take much longer to clean that one due to the care I took not to ruin the pelt as I skinned it), I was happy that I'd finally scored on some cottontails ((3) total) and would get to come back anytime I wanted by calling ahead of time, my wife was happy that I was so happy (but she said she can't quite get used to the difference in the smell of cooked rabbit meat just yet) and the property owners were impressed to say the least and more than happy to have let me hunt there with my air rifles. They really want me to take out some coyotes, but I said that I would have to figure out the best way to accomplish that without breaking the laws in their area. They also have rattle snake problems during the late Spring to early Fall months, so when I'm out there if I see one I blast it too. So, even though I didn't get these while out in BLM land or National Forest, I was still happy to have made some good shots, had some tasty rabbit and had a great time in the process. :signlol2iu:

#2 screwwork

screwwork

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 02:28 PM

Congtrats on both the rabbits and permission to hunt on PP.A really nice write up too ARH

#3 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,841 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 03:34 PM

#4 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,497 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 05 December 2011 - 04:12 PM

Nice write up and that sure looks tasty! YUM! :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#5 rws fan

rws fan

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Interests:My kids, shootin' stuff, hunting, hiking, scenic beaches, weather, running, imported beer, science, technology, fast cars, fast women, guns etc.

Posted 05 December 2011 - 04:49 PM

Nice shooting. Wish I could have gone out this weekend but it's been very windy, non-stop for almost the past week! Has it been windy in your area?Nice job picking up a new spot to hunt. Looking forward to your private land hunts,Henry

#6 Poslo

Poslo

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts
  • Interests:Family, fishing, rowing, photography, and hunting.

Posted 05 December 2011 - 06:16 PM

Total score :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow: ! Can't wait to bag some rabbits too. I hope to see some pictures of rattle snakes on the grill too, maybe your wife will be okay with the smell of cooked reptile! Thanks for your report.

#7 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,841 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 07:06 PM

Nice shooting. Wish I could have gone out this weekend but it's been very windy, non-stop for almost the past week! Has it been windy in your area? Nice job picking up a new spot to hunt. Looking forward to your private land hunts,Henry

Thanks Henry. It was a little windy earlier in the day, but around the time the rabbits came out the wind had died down quite a bit and made it easier to be out in the cooler weather.

#8 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,841 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 07:13 PM

Total score :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow: ! Can't wait to bag some rabbits too. I hope to see some pictures of rattle snakes on the grill too, maybe your wife will be okay with the smell of cooked reptile! Thanks for your report.

I hope to get some reptilian game too. One thing to do though if you do get a rattle snake is:1: Stay away from the head/mouth when attempting to cut the head off.2. Cut the head off around 4" back from the backside of the head (from what I understand this is to keep any chance of venom getting into the meat) and bury the head deep enough so that it won't work it's way back up to the surface before decomposing.3. Gut and skin it (duh!).4. Stick it in the freezer overnight. The reason for this is that from everything I've seen, when you immediately cook a snake after killing and skinning, it writhes all over the grill or skillet. It's kind of creepy (as my kid would say) to see it doing that after it's been dead for a while. If I do get one, I'll definitely post photos of the entire process here. :doh[1]:

#9 CBR400RR

CBR400RR

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycle racing, airguns, my family, hunting.

Posted 05 December 2011 - 08:29 PM

Nice job, I really want to get a rattle snake, turkey and coyote one day.

.177 Custom 1377c, .177 TX200 MKIII, .177 FWB 300su .177 R.A.W. TM1000, .22 M-Rod tuned, .22 AA S410 - SL XTRA FAC, .22 Theoben Rapid MKII AZ tuned, .25 Daystate Air Ranger tuned, .25 HM1000x, FX Boss .30

#10 butthead

butthead

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 05:24 AM

Nice shooting ARH! Those pics are making me hungry. Never had rabbit with bacon but I am sure its tasty.

#11 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • Interests:Hunting anything above or below the water. Kayaking, Backpacking, Scuba, Surfing, anything outdoors.

Posted 06 December 2011 - 06:32 AM

CBR400RR, Don't worry, if you get out there enough you will find plenty of snakes and yotes. Seems like I come across a rattler about once a year. The last one I spooked him as much as he spooked me. So much so that he didn't even get a chance to get a rattle off before he attempted a half a$$ strike. Turkeys might take a little longer unless you have got the inside scoop.

#12 CBR400RR

CBR400RR

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 08:29 AM

What's the best time and place to get a rattle snake? I want to skin it and cook it with my boys and make something out of the skin and rattle for them.

.177 Custom 1377c, .177 TX200 MKIII, .177 FWB 300su .177 R.A.W. TM1000, .22 M-Rod tuned, .22 AA S410 - SL XTRA FAC, .22 Theoben Rapid MKII AZ tuned, .25 Daystate Air Ranger tuned, .25 HM1000x, FX Boss .30

#13 rws fan

rws fan

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Interests:My kids, shootin' stuff, hunting, hiking, scenic beaches, weather, running, imported beer, science, technology, fast cars, fast women, guns etc.

Posted 06 December 2011 - 08:50 AM

When it starts to warm up go to san felipe wildlife area out by julian. Seen a bunch of them out there when me and my buddy were on the search for turkey this past april. Just watch your step and keep your eyes and ears wide open..Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#14 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,841 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 11:52 AM

Great pictures! Love the one of that turkey with his tail feathers all out and prancing around. The one of the rattler is cool too!

#15 screwwork

screwwork

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 12:42 PM

One important thing missing is in regards to the Rattle Snake head, cut it off and bury it please. The Rattle snake head is very possinises even when dead. Small kids, dogs and other animals could be poisoned by accident.

#16 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,841 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 01:05 PM

Very true. I'll modify my previous post to include that. Thanks! :two-cents:

#17 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,841 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 01:08 PM

Thanks. For the turkey you'll need to make sure you have an Upland Game Bird stamp for your hunting license. Spring turkey season comes up around the end of March I think, but I could be mistaken. I'll have to check the regs again. For the others, all you need is your license and a good shot! :two-cents:

#18 CBR400RR

CBR400RR

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 06:38 PM

SO who wants to go snake hunting with me when it gets warmer?

#19 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,841 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 08:48 AM

Not me! :hellohello9il: I'll kill 'em and keep them if I see them while out hunting, but I'm not going to go out and look for them on purpose! I've get enough dangerous things trying to kill me on a daily basis. I don't need to search out another one :roflmao3[1]: . I'm sure you'll find some brave (or extremely crazy) soul to go with you out there somewhere. :roflmao3[1]:

#20 Freddy

Freddy

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:Airgun and Bow Hunting. If the season is closed, then let's hit the tennis courts. :)

Posted 09 December 2011 - 02:46 PM

I was looking around for chukars , but came across this guy !Attached File  Red_Mountain_Trona_20111113.gif   97.48KB   3 downloads

#21 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,841 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 05:02 PM

So, did you take him down and throw him on the barbeque?

#22 Freddy

Freddy

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:Airgun and Bow Hunting. If the season is closed, then let's hit the tennis courts. :)

Posted 10 December 2011 - 03:56 PM

Yummy. :smiley_kewlpics:

#23 Wingman115

Wingman115

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Interests:Mountain Biking,Backpacking,Air Gun Shooting,Woodworking<br />

Posted 12 December 2011 - 06:07 PM

Nice pictures.. I'll pass on the snake hunt. I've stepped on a few this year checking on the dead squirrels I shot...

#24 IamChase

IamChase

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Interests:Hey guys I put an introduction here: http://www.californiapredatorsclub.com/index.php?showtopic=5498&amp;st=1770&amp;gopid=241650&amp;#entry241650

Posted 18 December 2011 - 10:43 PM

Awesome pics and stories everyone! Grats on your private hunting arrangement ARH. As for the discussion with snakes...haha, I've never eaten a snake before but I've killed 5 or 6 of them including a water moccasin back when I lived in Florida...I was about to jump in the pool and then whoaaaaaaaaaaaa nelly! I killed him like the city slicker I was with some palm tree pruners. Stuck them down in the water and got a clamp around his neck, pulled him out of the water and slice. I always keep my eyes out for rattlesnakes but they always find you when you're not looking for them :). Next time I get one I'll be sure to BBQ him up. Also, Santa is bringing a nice camera for Christmas so I'll be able to get some great pics and videos up of my adventures. wewt. :yahoo:

#25 Hot Brass

Hot Brass

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 07:20 PM

Rabbit wrapped in bacon, looks very tasty. I can do without the snakes.

#26 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,841 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 01:46 PM

I'd agree with you on the snakes. The classic line from Raiders of the Lost Ark comes to mind, "Snakes. Why did it have to be snakes?". I've always had a healthy respect for venomous creatures and do my best to not encounter them. However, if I happen upon one while hunting, I'll gladly dispatch it and add it to the bag (after cutting off it's head an burying it) so that it can be fried up as an appetizer or main course :smiley_green_with_envy:. When I lived in Plano, Texas for a year an a half, I probably killed at least two dozen or more Water Moccassins while fishing at the lakes and rivers nearby. I never ate any of them and didn't know if they were edible or not at the time. Since they weren't afraid of people, they would swim towards me while fishing. I would wait until they were close enough and with my lure reeled to the top of the rod I would hit them right behind the head, hooking them. Then I would carefully bring them on shore, stand on their tail, stretching them out to have clear access to their neck/head and cut the head off (I always carried an extremely long, sharp knife with me at all times when fishing around there). After the body quit thrashing I would throw the body into the creek and then carefully remove the head (using needle nosed pliers) and burry it about six inches below the dirt and cover it with some stones. This happened usually a couple of times each fishing trip and was a pretty common occurance around there. I just thought I would share that wonderful "snake" memory. :flag:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users