7 replies to this topic

#1 Leonten

Leonten

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 12:34 AM

Reno Costello was a very good deer hunter. He was also a self made man, worth millions, but he started with nothing. I met him (through a mutual friend in the late '70s) at my friends house. I was in my 20's & he was in his late 60's. He & I got into a debate about rifles that first meeting. He had his views (that he wouldn't budge from) and I was the same. Anyway, the debate was fun and cordial. I think we both walked away thinking we won. In actuality (during the debate) we were both right & both wrong. However, there was 1 great thing we had in common. And that was when we realized we were wrong, we admitted it and capitulated. But, the debate continued, all night. Voices were never raised, it was a simple conversation. Sometimes I agreed with him, sometimes I didn't. He was the same. And when we didn't agree, that's when the debate would begin. Did I mention all night long? Anyway, at the time, I worked for a bank as a loan officer (always looking for new accounts) and he was wealthy. The next day my friend (the host) said to me that I blew it with Reno based on the way the night went on. My friend told me that Reno was looking for a new bank & banker. At the time all the banks in town were courting Reno! 6 months later Reno transferred 100% of his business, and personal accounts, to my bank. About 10 years later (after he sold his business), he called me and asked me to have lunch with him (usually I called him and invited him to lunch). During lunch he told me why I became his banker. #1 was that I NEVER solicited his business. #2 was that I was a hunter. #3 was that I spoke my mind & would argue with him. He had no children was 78 years old (at the lunch) and had come to the realization that his hunting days were over. Then he put both hands on the table (with something in his hands) and said "This is for you." Then he handed me a knife in a scabbard. Its an Old Timer model 152 with a leather wrist strap. That was his hunting knife, he had used it for over 40 years. This is a truncated version of our relationship over the years, suffice to say as a banker I bent over backwards for him and he knew it. Also, we butted heads every time we talked about hunting (never at the bank as at the bank business was business, we butted heads at social setting). He gave me the knife in the early '90s & I still cherish it.

#2 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts
  • Interests:Hunting anything above or below the water. Kayaking, Backpacking, Scuba, Surfing, anything outdoors.

Posted 05 December 2011 - 07:17 AM

Thats a cool story thanks for sharing it. :signs1180lq:

#3 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 05 December 2011 - 09:24 AM

INteresting stoy, but sorry, i've never heard of the man. Who is o rwas he?

#4 JimT.

JimT.

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 10:46 AM

Very good story and a great friend.

#5 Leonten

Leonten

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 01:24 AM

Reno was an artichoke farmer & processor from Castroville Ca. a real minor mannered guy that loved to hunt. He passed away years ago. He was also a 49er fan. Reno had seats on the lower deck at the 45 yard line at Candelstick Park. By the middle of the 1980 season Reno started offering his seats to me. He gave me one ticked for my guest but made me pay him for mine! Anyway I was there when the Niners were behind 35 to 7 at half time against the Saints. We won 38 to 35 in overtime. Do you remember the 1981 season? I was at every home game that year because Reno was so sick of watching them loose the previous 2 years. But, he took someone else to the playoff Championship game. I can't blame him, I did get to see all the games that year.

#6 yoteblaster

yoteblaster

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • Interests:Huntin' yotes, Huntin', fishin', Atv'n, Campin', shootin'Military history

Posted 06 December 2011 - 07:46 AM

:two-cents: of the knife...

#7 Leonten

Leonten

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 12:55 PM

Here's the knife.

Attached Files

#8 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,872 posts
  • Interests:I've got so many I couldn't list them all. :)

Posted 06 December 2011 - 03:03 PM

Great story about the knife there. That's pretty cool. :two-cents:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users