30 replies to this topic

#1 PigHostile1

PigHostile1

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 05:56 PM

My gun will arrive by Monday and I'd like to have everyone opinion on the gun. Has anyone own/shot/ or suggestion on my Weatherby Vanguard Sporter 270wsm? Would like to hear the goods and the bads...

#2 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,833 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting ,and hog hunting with my dogs.

Posted 03 December 2011 - 07:22 PM

not alot of factory ammo. too big for hogs for Me . I would think on the lines of a 260 remington or 7mm-08

#3 PigHostile1

PigHostile1

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 09:28 PM

I also have a 7mm-08 but decided to buy a bigger caliber for future hunts in OR, MN, TX, FL, and Canada. I can still hunt with a 7mm on hogs, its a accurate gun (Remington 700), but thanks for the advise also Id try not to shot factory ammo

#4 4RHUNTS

4RHUNTS

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts
  • Interests:Hunting for varmints, two and four legged varieties, deer, pigs, birds, reloading, and fishing.

Posted 04 December 2011 - 07:56 AM

The 270 WSM is a SMALLER CALIBER than your 7mm-08. It has a bigger case, more powder=more velocity, more impact energy.

#5 Divernhunter

Divernhunter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fun target shooting, reloading, collecting firearms. Also enjoy scuba diving and welding. Shoot 22RF to 50bmg.

Posted 04 December 2011 - 08:05 AM

I have one in 257Weatherby and like it. It shoots well. I am sure you will like yours.

#6 dabob

dabob

Bob Morris Foxpro Field Staff

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts
  • Interests:Shooting Sporting Clays, Trap and Skeet, Hunting and Fishing

Posted 04 December 2011 - 10:19 AM

The 270 WSM is a great round, fast and flat shooting.For use in Canada the 7mm-08 may be a better choice because of the heavier bullets you can use in the 7mm-08 over the 270 WSM.For me the difference between the 7mm-08 and the 270 WSM is not a big enough difference to own both of these rifles.
Posted ImageTen Percent FirearmsServing California with all of their firearms needs - or contact us by email.

#7 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 04 December 2011 - 11:23 AM

The 270 wsm is one of my favorite deer / medium to large game calibers. And I've owned more (deer / larger game) calibers & rifle brands than I could ever recall. LOL Awesome is a great word for the 270 wsm IMO. My oldest has one in a Browning & we both love it. It would be hard to even match the performance, much less beat it, in many other calibers. But then again, as some here know, I am a recovering speed junkie. ;) Frank

#8 PigHostile1

PigHostile1

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 12:19 PM

thanks everyone for your comment...as you all mentioned between the 7mm-08 and 270wsm id take it to consideration.

#9 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 04 December 2011 - 08:53 PM

The .270wsm is my favorite medium game cartridge. I feed mine from a supply of pre Barnes b.s. 110gr tsx bullets at around 3500 fps. It shoots really flat, jerks the rug out from under any critter that gets in its way, and spoils next to no meat. Now I just hope one of the other bullet makers will come up with a 110 grain copper bullet before my supply runs out.And the .270wsm can push a 140 grain bullet to around 3100 fps compared to the 7mm-08s 2800 fps. The .277 bullet offers a higher B.C. and S.D. which adds up to a more effective long range cartridge.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#10 PigHostile1

PigHostile1

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 10:00 PM

Clampdaddy, thank you for your honest opinion. These is what I am searching for and I will take your advise on the 110g, I was also thinking about the 140g barnes tsx also. thanks again.

#11 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 05 December 2011 - 11:13 AM

I feed mine from a supply of pre Barnes b.s. 110gr tsx bullets at around 3500 fps.

My oldest also uses the 110 gr bullet, but in T(ippd) TSX form in Federal factory stuff. HIGH velocity and "consistently" good accuracy. Other weights & brands would do (almost) excellent, but with "consistent" (1 or 2) FLYERS! Others, such as Winchester ammo did the over all worst in my son's rifle.

#12 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 05 December 2011 - 12:29 PM

Those little 110 grain pills are impressive to say the least. I was a little apprehensive at first, until I tested them for penetration in wet paper at 250 yards againced the Winchester 130 grain supreme ballistic silvertip loading. The little 110 grain penetrated deeper and cut a more impressive wound channel. I had used the 130 grain factory loading on a 220-ish pound hog and it blew completely through so once I saw that the little 110 grainer was capable of even better penetration it really put my mind at ease. Now that I've dumped a couple critters with it I have total confidence in the load.A funny thing happened on a trip to X12. All four of my buddys use .300 Weatherbys for open country hunting and they were having one heck of a good time picking on my "fly swatter". At the end of the trip my deer was the only one that dropped in its tracks. :signlol2iu: My model 70 likes 66.5 grains of IMR-4350 and a CCI 250 mag primer. Sighted in a snidge over 2.5 high at 100 yards its about dead on at 300, about 3 inches low at 350, and just shy of 8 inches low at 400. Great for open country hunting.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#13 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 12:43 PM

Very well said, Clamp... Great report on both paper and game indeed. Too funny about the 300 mag shooters. :signlol2iu:

#14 PigHostile1

PigHostile1

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 03:28 PM

Frank and Clamp, do you buy ammo's from manufacture of you have custome built to meet your specification (make/reload your own)?

#15 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 05:02 PM

I went through a few boxes of factory stuff until I got the components needed to load my own.

#16 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,224 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 07:13 PM

I think what happens is some hunters go out with the biggest baddest rifle they can find and because of the recoil they don't even hit them in the broiler room and they run off.Right now I am happy shooting the 140's threw the 7mm rem mag it does not recoil to bad at all.

#17 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 08:32 PM

PigH, I have been handloading for decades for all my bolt action rifles. However, the 270 wsm I am talking about belongs to my oldest son and I do not handload for it. I didn't need the extra work and grief for as seldom as he shoots it either. So he shoots factory ammo in that rifle, and so far, so good (on paper). I agree Shoot-it. I seldom, if ever, shoot the heavier(est) bullets in any given caliber. If I feel the need to go to the heavier bullets in a given caliber, I should probably be stepping up to a bigger caliber to begin with.

#18 PigHostile1

PigHostile1

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 02:36 AM

I'd agree with the big bad gun..when i go out im not there to show my guns, im there to use it and hunt. I've seen people bring 7mm ultra mag. and 300 ultra mag...crazy what the hell are you gonna have after shooting.

#19 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 07:24 AM

I've seen people bring 7mm ultra mag. and 300 ultra mag...crazy what the hell are you gonna have after shooting.

A very bad neck t w i t c h, seperated shoulder, headache & ringing ears. Oh, & normally a lousy target. lol :two-cents:

#20 PigHostile1

PigHostile1

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 12:04 AM

I'd agreed Frank. I've shoot a 7mm ultra mag once and oh my god that is loud you can hear the echo's thru the canyon.

#21 Kephers

Kephers

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and Shooting

Posted 28 December 2011 - 04:35 PM

I'm picking up a 270 wsm. Factory rounds are like 40-55 bucks a box. Handloading will be what I'm doing. I'd recommend it. The ballistics are awesome.
OORAH! SEMPER FI!
Call Me Keith!
1 Round Varmint War!

#22 Kephers

Kephers

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 02:06 PM

Ok with the wifes veto I will not be getting the 270wsm. :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow: But... on a brighter note she said I can get a .308 because of logistics reasons and how much I would like to shoot. So I'm proud to announce I'm going to be picking up a rem 700 sps varmint in .308. I'm super stoked. This next coming payday is the day!
OORAH! SEMPER FI!
Call Me Keith!
1 Round Varmint War!

#23 PigHostile1

PigHostile1

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 10:41 PM

Finally its here

#24 KNOCKED UP

KNOCKED UP

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,698 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, archery,Reloading.
    Harley Davidson Motorcycles, and good people
    RETIRED

Posted 04 January 2012 - 08:51 AM

Pictures!! Pictures!! Pictures!!

Life on earth is temporary, Choose your destiny Wisely.

#25 Kephers

Kephers

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 06:39 PM

Yes pictures! I'll enjoy it vicariously though you!
OORAH! SEMPER FI!
Call Me Keith!
1 Round Varmint War!

#26 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Fishing, Camping

Posted 04 January 2012 - 07:45 PM

Ok with the wifes veto I will not be getting the 270wsm. ;) But... on a brighter note she said I can get a .308 because of logistics reasons and how much I would like to shoot. So I'm proud to announce I'm going to be picking up a rem 700 sps varmint in .308. I'm super stoked. This next coming payday is the day!

A 308 Remmy!!!! you're on.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former" Albert Einstein

#27 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,731 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 04 January 2012 - 08:15 PM

The .270wsm is my favorite medium game cartridge. I feed mine from a supply of pre Barnes b.s. 110gr tsx bullets at around 3500 fps. It shoots really flat, jerks the rug out from under any critter that gets in its way, and spoils next to no meat. Now I just hope one of the other bullet makers will come up with a 110 grain copper bullet before my supply runs out.And the .270wsm can push a 140 grain bullet to around 3100 fps compared to the 7mm-08s 2800 fps. The .277 bullet offers a higher B.C. and S.D. which adds up to a more effective long range cartridge.

Ditto. Just a 270 rem would be real good also.
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#28 docskinner

docskinner

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Interests:Learning to navigate Cali hunting laws &amp; Regs. <br />Hunting, shooting, fishing.<br />

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:19 PM

Or a .270 Winchester. Almost as flat shooting as the WSM (Handloads will dupe the old factory loads of a 130gr at 3100-3200fps, current factory is usually just under 3100fps), and same nice BCs. And cheap ammo. But the .308 is always a good all around as well.But have to admit been thinking about the WSM as well. short action, better with a shorter barrel, but costs...

#29 PigHostile1

PigHostile1

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 01:10 AM

Unable to upload from my droid.My gun looks like this...(id apologise this pic was from the internet, but same identical looks).

Attached Files

• Attached File  gun.jpg   12.44KB   1 downloads

#30 PigHostile1

PigHostile1

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 02:23 AM

this is the actual gun now! i was able to figure a way to upload. ENJOY.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users