8 replies to this topic

#1 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 09:41 PM

I have been thinking about fixxing up my old 22-250 for my sont o start useing, he's turning 9 and really wants to start hunting. I told him when he can read and write good enough to take the hunter safety coarse(with a little help) that he can get his lisence and he will start hunting. I figured I would set up the old remington for his first predator gun. I started by cutting down the stock which puts me past the point of no return. I need to finish shaping it then he can sand it for a paint job or clear finish( I think he will want to paint it but it will be up to him. I am thinking of having the barrel cut down to 18" so it is easier for him to handle. Here is a picture of the first step.Posted Image

#2 donkey12

donkey12

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 09:53 PM

Thats cool Ron, we got to get our boys together. My son is taking the course online right now. I just picked up an AR for him to use. No doubt your son will have some memories with that rifle.
Don't be stupid

#3 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 10:09 PM

I have an AR that he loves to shoot but when we are hunting I think it is safer for him to have a bolt gun. We should take them to one of the squirrel spots I know of(after they have their lisencees of coarse)

#4 Bennie

Bennie

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,906 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Shooting.

Posted 03 December 2011 - 08:54 AM

Great of you to cut the stock down to fit him. It will really improve his shooting with it. I think I would leave the barrel alone though. I think the muzzle blast from a 18" 22-250 would be pretty loud. Just my thoughts.
Raith Heryford's Guide Service  Salmon, Trout & Steel Head | Striper, Sturgeon & Shad | Duck & Goose HuntingYuba /Sutter Northern CaliforniaCALL 530-870-2697 or emailQuit blowing on the Fur and get to the Hide.

#5 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 09:53 AM

I was thinking about the muzzle blast but I'm not going to put a break on it so I think it will be OK. My dad has a .243 with a 16 or 18" barrel so I am going to bring that to the range and see how loud it is before I cut the barrel on mine down.

#6 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,225 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 05:44 PM

That's no biggy someday when he grows out of it just get another stock.Is that an old 788 remington? I have a stock that looks just like it.I want to get a nagant and chop it down for a coyote gun lol

#7 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 08:24 PM

Yep, it's a 788. I bought it a long time ago and used it as my primary coyote gun until I got my AR and now I am using my tikka, I wanted to get him a .223 bolt gun but figured this is a better way to go and like shoot it said a new stock is pretty cheap.

#8 homemade

homemade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 07:27 PM

we have been shortening a lot of guns lately for young hunters its good to see.

#9 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 06:43 PM

Here's a picture of him sanding it down some more. He chose to put a natural finish on it so I need to strip the paint off of the barrel and receiver. Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users