4 replies to this topic

#1 gotsch

gotsch

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 08:23 PM

I have a mini 14 and it's a blast to shoot, Although I'm thinking about adding a mini 30 (7.62 x 39) to my collection, One of the guys at the gun store was saying that he thinks that cheap ammo (I.E. Silver bear and all that kinda cheap) will hurt the barrel, that's pretty much all I've shot outta the mini 14, shoots great, can those rounds hurt the barrel?? also, does anyone have one and can they tell me how they feel about the gun, seems like it'd be something great to take a beating if it needed to. Originally I was looking at the 308 Scout (ruger) but it's not that easy to come by in CA and I don't imagine a scope with That much of an eye relief being in-expensive (still seems kinda new). Mini 30 price tag is about 750, probably 850 out the door, is that an ok price, seems pretty much the norm. Need to make a decision before July 10 of next year, gotta a baby on the way!!! (totally pumped up about that). Time to get toys before it's not an option!!!

#2 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,327 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 09:43 PM

that barrel will last you a very long time go for it.

#3 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,066 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 10:42 PM

I find that a lot of the guys in gun stores just pass stories they have heard and have little experience with the actual firearm. I use to sell firearms and witnessed it first hand, not that I am an authority either. But if your happy and it fills the need your looking for then get it. As far as a scope with a long eye relief just look at a pistol scope if your still interested in that ruger. Shooting any gun repeatedly over time will shoot out a barrel so in the mean time shoot it out and have some fun. Maybe cheap ammo shoots out barrels faster cause your shooting more of it?

#4 Divernhunter

Divernhunter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fun target shooting, reloading, collecting firearms. Also enjoy scuba diving and welding. Shoot 22RF to 50bmg.

Posted 05 December 2011 - 02:35 AM

I have both and enjoy them. They are fun guns. Mine are the Ranch model with 4X weaver scopes. I do not shoot the steel cases ammo but that is just a personal choice. Partly due to the fact I reload.

#5 gotsch

gotsch

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 05:44 AM

thankyou all for the info, @ bullseye, shoulda thought about the pistol scope, Awesome!! @ Divernhunter, Can't see a reason why i wouldn't love one to match the other, good concept. @ shootit, you live in merced and your photo is a tractor, got any yotes you need taken care of?? =). Thanks all for the info, very incouraging (sure I spelled that one wrong). I still really like the scout so I'll just get the mini 30 first, good times.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users