• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 01 December 2011 - 07:32 PM

First of, I would like the thank clampdaddy and SJ for the info and link about Americhoke (R&D Custom Barrel on their website). For those that do not know, they are (he is) the one that will thread fixed choke shotguns to accept choke tubes among many other things. While his place may not be worthy (to some) of an entire magazine article about, what it is, is a very nice, clean, polite gentleman running a home-based business. And while he usually does things with appointments only, thought I would take a chance and drop by there since I was already at a leather shop very close to it. As luck would have it, he was there and working, and I was able to talk with him for a bit and "pick his brain" so to say. Very impressed after meeting him, and not just because he is also named Bob. Besides taking the time to answer all my questions with not just a simple yes or no, but also with an explanation as to why the yes or no. And with absolutely zero pressure too. I was also equally impressed with the way he knew about the specifics or my guns (without having to see them) and the way I watched him explain to a customer he was already dealing with how it would be wrong to do some work (on the stock I believe) as it was becoming a very rare shotgun and was not advisable. If his work is only half as good as his business ethics and attitude, I can see why you guys would recommend him. Can't wait until after the holidays as I have about three shotguns I would like to have his work done on. Thank you both again. Can't wait.By the way clampdaddy, I know you have the newest addition to your family (congrats again) but have you had ant time at all to try that new SxS out yet? Just curious.

#2 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 05 December 2011 - 03:09 PM

Right on Bisley! I never would of thought that a shop that could offer such a quick turnaround was actually a home business, but it makes sense. Less cooks in the kitchen. You'll love the work he does.And thanks again for the Congrats on the baby. Yes, I did get to play with the new gun a couple weeks ago. The barrels are well regulated, the chokes patterned well and a little on the tight side (just the way I like 'em). I had no problems smoking most of the clays I shot at. The firing pins were a bit pointy though and they would pierce Winchester primer. No problems with rem or fed shells but I took a stone to the pins and rounded them off a little better. I haven't got to try it again but I'm sure this dog 'll hunt.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#3 tonyd

tonyd

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 06:45 PM

I to had them do choke work in my mossberg 12 ga, the work was fine quality and even shipping with the mail service, it was done in under a week. I have and would recommend them again.TonyD

#4 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 11:21 PM

Right on Bisley! I never would of thought that a shop that could offer such a quick turnaround was actually a home business, but it makes sense. Less cooks in the kitchen. You'll love the work he does.

Very true. And I love the fact that the man with that was so friendly and had so much knowledge will be the same guy working on my guns. A huge plus. I can't wait to have his work performed in the next few weeks. Thank you again.Glad to hear you only had a small problem with the new gun and that it was an easy fix too. I bet by now you can't wait to take a day off of diaper duty and let that beauty terrorize the fields. And while I'm at it, I should also add this too. A while back you (clampdeddy) were explaining the advantages of a two trigger SxS versus a single trigger. I would have to add one more reason that I recently learned about single trigger SxS's or O/U's. I did not realize that many single triggers on double barrel shotguns are inertia driven, meaning, the recoil changes the trigger sear selection. And while this may not be a problem for trap shooting or lighter field loads, we have learned this year that my much heavier field loads cause a double discharge at times B) . And since I won't give up my heavy field reloads, it looks like it will be two triggers for me.

#5 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 10 December 2011 - 07:48 PM

Another possible problem with inertia triggers is that on some smaller gauge guns light loads may fail to reset the trigger for the second barrel. I've seen it happen to a buddy that shoots a Browning o/u .410. And even though it isn't very likely, if the gun for some reason misfires the gun won't let you try the second barrel.Nowadays a lot of single trigger guns are mechanical so they don't have the same problems but I'll stick with my double triggers. Call me old fashioned but if a gun has two barrels they should be side by side, and each one should have its own trigger. :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#6 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 05:31 PM

Hmmmmm, would have never thought of the lighter load scenario, very interesting. Always refreshing to remember that no matter how much we know, there's always something new to be learned. Thanks again, and sure glad I asked. I do not like being load handicapped (light or heavy). I love the simplicity of a single trigger, but am slowly learning that a double trigger gives me a lot more options, and more importantly, a lot more of things I like such as reliability.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users