15 replies to this topic

#1 300wsm

300wsm

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 06:36 PM

So what do you use in your vibe tumbler to clean dirty brass? I'm using Lymann treated corn cob, and it' OK but it's very slow to clean tarnished brass. The guy at Seirra Arms told me to add fast orange hand cleaner with pumice,I added some and I think it helped.,,300wsm

#2 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 28 November 2011 - 06:51 PM

I just can't justify the money right now unfortunately (especially since I have about 50 pounds of ground walnut on hand) but someone had posted a thread a while back about their stainless steel rods they used to clean brass with. I want it! Some day I will get it. But do a search for it, it will male your head spin how good the brass looks afterwards.

#3 Caneman

Caneman

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 07:04 PM

guys who use the ss media say its da bomb... downside is you need a rotary tumbler ($150) to get it to work properly... i looked at a smallish 3# HF rotary tumbler for about $30, but thought it would be better to save up for a #15 drum where you can get all the cases done at once

#4 pthor

pthor

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Interests:Hunting-Fishing-Reloading-Traveling-Coin collecting

Posted 28 November 2011 - 07:37 PM

Don't know if you guys have tried this method but, I noticed my buddy tumbling his loaded ammo as opposed to the brass, so I tried it and still use this method. I've found that the only difference it makes is there is less cleanup and the ammo cleans faster. I use walnut media with brass polish I fot from Midway. Anyone else use this method?

#5 Yateswell

Yateswell

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 07:53 PM

tumbling loaded ammo? isn't that dangerous?

#6 Rob

Rob

The Varmint Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 07:58 PM

Frank:Here is my solution...Walnut shells for small case mouths and corn for 45 acp...but add this fine product from Midway:Iosso Brass Case Polish 8 oz LiquidProduct #: 888439 Iosso #: 10600 Really works fast and efficiently.

#7 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 28 November 2011 - 08:08 PM

Besides the obvious issue of a discharge with loaded ammo, I have more fear of the powder grinding itself down and becoming finer, ie, more surface area and faster burning. I knew a guy that used to tumble loaded ammo, and told him to compare the same load tumbled and not tumbled. The reply? "Yeah, the tumbled ammo definitely had a bit more recoil and felt a little hotter". And that was with pistol ammo. Don't even want to think about rifle ammo!

#8 butthead

butthead

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 05:31 AM

I used to use the Lyman Tuffnut but had problems with media sticking in the primer holes. I have switched over to Zilla crushed walnut (lizzard liter) and never looked back. I add a bit of Dillon polish every so often and it awesome. You can pick up the Zilla at Petsmart or similar pet supply store.

#9 dangerranger

dangerranger

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • Interests:I am a shooter first and then a hunter. I shoot competitively, most recently in the American Single Shot Association. I have also shot Cowboy action, Silhoettes,etc.. I like to build guns as a hobby.

Posted 03 December 2011 - 08:58 AM

Ill second the IOSSO cleaners. they work fast and well. I use the dip and dont even tumble any more. it leaves the cases clean but not polished. personaly thats all I care is that they are clean. pollished ammo doesnt shoot any better. DR

#10 Hipshot Percussion

Hipshot Percussion

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Bird Hunting- pheasant, Quail
    Bird dog training (two Brittany's)

Posted 04 December 2011 - 08:16 PM

I use either walnut or corncob with NuFinish from Harbor Freight tools let it polish overnight next day everything shines like a diamond in a goats ass!

#11 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,790 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 04 December 2011 - 11:20 PM

Since I'm not in the habit of running around lifting goats tails, I"M not really sure how shinney that is. :signs165xk: :signs1180lq:
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#12 300wsm

300wsm

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 05:02 PM

Braz ,You just don't know what your missing, lift a few tails!,,,300wsm

#13 Ed Lacy

Ed Lacy

Predator

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Interests:Family, hunting, fishing, motorcycles, reloading.

Posted 16 December 2011 - 11:03 PM

Lizard litter from Pet-Smart with Nu-Finish. Let 'em cook fer coupla' hours. Store in a baggie, cuz I don't have any goats.

#14 Caneman

Caneman

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 11:16 AM

^^^ this one works for me as well

#15 rdsii64

rdsii64

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:41 AM

I just add some flitz to corn cob media thats to small to get in the flash holes and a couple hours later I get brass that shines like jewelry.

#16 docskinner

docskinner

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Interests:Learning to navigate Cali hunting laws &amp; Regs. <br />Hunting, shooting, fishing.<br />

Posted 04 January 2012 - 02:26 PM

I polish before so that it is easier to size and less dirt in the dies. Not really really doing it to make my ammo purdy!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users