• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,680 posts
  • Interests:I've got so many I couldn't list them all. :)

Posted 28 November 2011 - 06:10 PM

Hi all, Well I purchased a used .25 Caliber Benjamin Marauder and the scope that is coming with it is a Vector Optics PROWL 4-16x50AO Ballistic Compensating Scope. I've tried looking for a website that has a manual for the scope, but have not had any success with that. I did look up the scope and what the reticule looks like and it's different that any other scope I've used. I'm going to replace the scope with a mildot scope and keep it for a different rifle. So my question is, what exactly do you use a Ballistic Compensation Scope for? This one has a standard reticule with another horizontal line either just below or just above the main reticule. I've not seen one like this before and have no idea how to properly use it. :signgreatreport3kg: Does anyone have any ideas?

#2 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,161 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, PCP Airguns, Flying (home builts)

Posted 28 November 2011 - 06:23 PM

Can you put up a picture of the reticle? Some like that just have a std measurement between the lines to compare to game dimensions.

I'm an airgunholic

#3 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 09:28 PM

Can you put up a picture of the reticle? Some like that just have a std measurement between the lines to compare to game dimensions.

Here's the picture I could find, but the reticle is somewhat hard to see. I hope this helps.Attached File  1.jpg   12.52KB   10 downloads The line is above the reticle about the space of a mildot or so. I've just not had any experience with this type of scope. Thanks for any help. :welcomeani:

#4 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,161 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, PCP Airguns, Flying (home builts)

Posted 29 November 2011 - 06:21 AM

I think that is the old style rangefinding where you compare those lines to the game you are aiming at. That used to be common. I dont think it was real accurate.Posted Image

I'm an airgunholic

#5 Air Rifle Hunter

Air Rifle Hunter

Wildlife Sniper

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 09:22 AM

Thanks Brant! :doh[1]: At least now I know what it is for. I'll save it and maybe use it on some powder burner I get. ^_^ I've got a Leaper 6-24x50 AO IR MD Varmint Scope coming in today that I'm going to put on the .25 Marauder tomorrow when it arrives. :D :signs1180lq:

#6 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • Interests:Hunting anything above or below the water. Kayaking, Backpacking, Scuba, Surfing, anything outdoors.

Posted 30 November 2011 - 06:20 AM

ARH, I have had a couple of scopes with 50mm objective lenses that I have mounted on guns over the years. My experience with them is that while they have the potential to make things clearer at higher magnification settings, I found them to be bulky, add more weight, make my cheek weld too high, and cause the balance of the gun to feel off. I eventually sold one and mounted the other on my Serbu .50 DTC where the extra clarity at high magnifications and extreme ranges can really be put to use. For my airguns I have found that I don't need anything over 40mm and about 9-10 power at max. With this combo I have had no problem taking out ground squirrels at over 100 yards. The only situation where I would consider using a 50mm scope on a airgun would be if I was shooting competatively or hunting from a blind. I deffinately would not want to be schlepping it around the country side. I will say for airgunning, due to the lower velocities that I think that a scope with a mil dot reticle is a must. Hope this helps :huh: Mc

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users