#2 TonyS

TonyS

Dog's driver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • Interests:Birds, deer, predators

Posted 29 November 2011 - 03:11 PM

Looking at the picture I would advise some caution. The F&G lady warden that likes to patrol there insists on a metal gauge to check the size. Do you know what size is legal? Although I proved my clams were legal she remained nasty about it until I told her write the ticket and I'll see you at court. Only then did she back down. You may also want to look at how many are a limit.Good luck!

#3 True2ThySelf

True2ThySelf

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 06:38 PM

I used a plastic caliper to measure size (minimum size limit is 1.5 inches). The two nice DFG game wardens I met even used my calipers to measure a few of the clams. The bag limit on the littleneck clams is 50 while the limit on the mussels is 10 pounds in shell. If the three mussels I kept were close to the 10 pound limit I would have not bothered with the clams and would have eaten for a few days! :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

#4 KNOCKED UP

KNOCKED UP

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,735 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, archery,Reloading.
    Harley Davidson Motorcycles, and good people
    RETIRED

Posted 11 January 2012 - 03:01 PM

When I was a kid, we used to go to Pismo beach, and get big pismo clams. My mom would make a clam chowder that was out of this world. Tom

Life on earth is temporary, Choose your destiny Wisely.

#5 StephLuvsHunting

StephLuvsHunting

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Camping, Hiking, Gold Panning, Beer, Fireball

Posted 11 January 2012 - 08:21 PM

I would like to try Bodega Bay and clam, I hear they have long necks yum

#6 Divernhunter

Divernhunter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,235 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fun target shooting, reloading, collecting firearms. Also enjoy scuba diving and welding. Shoot 22RF to 50bmg.

Posted 02 February 2012 - 10:37 PM

When I was in college we would go to Pismo and dive the outer reef for huge pismo clams. Then have a fire and large pot /potatoes/milk etc and make clam chowder for a big group. That was fun. Still go to Pismo but no clams. Darn sea otters!!!We use to go to Dillon Beach and get the long neck clams for chowder. We had slotted shovels and big PVC tubes to help get them.We also would get crabs and cook them there. Then dive for Abs and fry them in my wok or BBQ them. Made for some good eating. Need to go back again.

#7 True2ThySelf

True2ThySelf

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 07:24 AM

I prefer the little neck clams over the Pismo clams. I'll have to get my fishing license for this year and head out again later this month :sport037fn4:. I see this spot where I walk in the mud and some type of shellfish squirts water from the ground into the air. I've tried to dig them but they're too deep! If anyone is around Ventura and wants to dig in stinky mud, let me know. I'm curious as to what these are and how to prepare them :popcorn:.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users