#1 Bennie

Bennie

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,912 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Shooting.

Posted 27 November 2011 - 10:01 AM

When you do not have the box that a rifle came in. What have you found to be the best way to ship them? Hard Case? Double Boxed in cardboard with styrofoam?? I have never sent one any where. Have two safes full. LOL Just wondering what you guys have found to work best. Will probably ship UPS and definitely with insurance.
Raith Heryford's Guide Service  Salmon, Trout & Steel Head | Striper, Sturgeon & Shad | Duck & Goose HuntingYuba /Sutter Northern CaliforniaCALL 530-870-2697 or emailQuit blowing on the Fur and get to the Hide.

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,477 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 27 November 2011 - 10:06 AM

I like shipping them in a hard case and then in a cardboard box. I also like to remove the bolt. If you have a scope you want to use on it I would send it along with the gun. Especially since you aren't sure what the problem is.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#3 Bennie

Bennie

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,912 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 10:31 AM

I like shipping them in a hard case and then in a cardboard box. I also like to remove the bolt. If you have a scope you want to use on it I would send it along with the gun. Especially since you aren't sure what the problem is.

John do you put styrofoam around the hard case inside the cardboard or just a tight fitting cardboard box around the hard case?
Raith Heryford's Guide Service  Salmon, Trout & Steel Head | Striper, Sturgeon & Shad | Duck & Goose HuntingYuba /Sutter Northern CaliforniaCALL 530-870-2697 or emailQuit blowing on the Fur and get to the Hide.

#4 dangerranger

dangerranger

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • Interests:I am a shooter first and then a hunter. I shoot competitively, most recently in the American Single Shot Association. I have also shot Cowboy action, Silhoettes,etc.. I like to build guns as a hobby.

Posted 27 November 2011 - 10:36 AM

I ship in a hard case. I also use several layers of cardboard at the muzzle end. incase its dropped hard on the end the barrel wont poke through. Ive had the best luck shipping through USPS priority service. Ive never had to file a claim through USPS but I have through FEDX. I wont ever ship a firearm with them again. if you use a hard case seal it with large zip ties in as many places as posible, and all the way around if posible. also atach a tag to the rifle with your return info incase its seperated from its packaging. good luck, I ship 5 or 6 rifles a year and have had only one bad experiance. DR

#5 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,477 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 27 November 2011 - 10:45 AM

I just make a cardboard box of my own to cover the hard case inside. That way it's nice and tight though it might not look pretty. But they hold up well and have had them sent back in the same box. I've shipped many guns this way and have never had a problem. I have always used United Parcel Service also but I hear they are getting worse about shipping guns. The zip ties would be a good idea. But I've never had an issue with a case being opened and the gunsmith would never ship it back that way.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#6 CaseyU

CaseyU

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, being outdoors, hanging with my family and friends

Posted 27 November 2011 - 11:15 AM

just so you know most postal services do not ship firearms! I work in a gunshop. put in a hardcase and then in a cardboard box, with no gun info on it. then simply take it down to the ups store, and ship that big box of flashlights where ever you desire :huh:

#7 Fjold

Fjold

Traveling hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,805 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, hunting and fishing.

Posted 27 November 2011 - 12:30 PM

just so you know most postal services do not ship firearms! I work in a gunshop. put in a hardcase and then in a cardboard box, with no gun info on it. then simply take it down to the ups store, and ship that big box of flashlights where ever you desire ;)

USPS regulations say that private citizens can mail long guns to themselves, an FFL or manufacturer. If you ship via UPS, Fedex, etc you must ship from one of their hubs, not their storefronts and you are required to declare them to the shipping company.
Frank
One rifle, one planet. Holland's 375
Posted Image

#8 CaseyU

CaseyU

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, being outdoors, hanging with my family and friends

Posted 27 November 2011 - 01:55 PM

you are right fj! sorry i was not more specific

#9 Bennie

Bennie

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,912 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 09:52 PM

Thanks everyone for the info.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users