• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,875 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting ,and hog hunting with my dogs.

Posted 26 November 2011 - 04:55 PM

I have been working up a good shooting urban rifle for coyotes. I have killed lots of them with a little Winchester lever action, but wanted a clip rifle going from farm to farm and a tubular magazine wasn't getting it anymore. So I bought a ruger 7717 stainless ,with a synthetic stock. Nice rifle ,shot great, but didn't care for the 17 hmr for coyotes. So I bought a green mountain 22" fluted barrel 1x14" twist. Put a tactical Solutions "v-block" on it and what a shooter it is. Doesn't care what you stick in it, although Winchester supremes are a little tight. Here is a group today, and it shot like this all day.Attached File  1.jpg   6.54KB   8 downloads

#2 Rimrock

Rimrock

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,378 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 05:39 PM

That looks pretty good to me. But, if you are complaining, I can probably find something to trade for it. :signgreatreport3kg: :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

#3 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,875 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 07:11 PM

I was hoping for decent moa accuracy. After talking with green river, they said you should expect the same accuracy as the 17 hmr. I am pleased for sure. I have tried cci,remington and winchester all with m/l same results. grains from 30 to 40 grain. all hollow points, v-max and pointed soft points. speeds from 1875 to 2200.

#4 Bennie

Bennie

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Shooting.

Posted 26 November 2011 - 07:23 PM

Wow that thing is a shooter. Be hard to get rid of one that shoots like that. Congrats on a good build.

#5 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,875 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 05:47 AM

I wish I had a squirrel town to work over. Its a fun little rifle to shoot and light to carry checking snares.

#6 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 28 November 2011 - 01:46 PM

Excellent! I love it when the "the .22 magnum isn't an accurate cartridge" myth gets debunked. I have a heavy barreled thumbhole savage that has won me a few bets againced some who swore that a .22 mag can't shoot alongside a .17 hmr.

#7 dangerranger

dangerranger

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • Interests:I am a shooter first and then a hunter. I shoot competitively, most recently in the American Single Shot Association. I have also shot Cowboy action, Silhoettes,etc.. I like to build guns as a hobby.

Posted 28 November 2011 - 06:00 PM

I think the new crop of bullits have turned alot of 22mags into shooters. Ive had a couple of mag guns that were not so impressive but now with the better bullits they are shooters! One Marlin that I had given to my Son Im kind of wishing I had back. Its that good of a shooter now. I saw my son put three shots into 3/4" at 75yds with it. its amaising what bullits it likes will do! DR

#8 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 28 November 2011 - 06:20 PM

I think the new crop of bullits have turned alot of 22mags into shooters.

It's not so much the bullets as it is the advancement in priming. It used to be hit and miss as to the consistency of trying to spin the priming mixture evenly in the rim of such a long case. They are being made with much more consistent ignition, and the results speak for themselves. You guys are killing me. I have an old 783 Marlin I bought used several years ago that will throw ten rounds of CCI 40gr hp's into right around an inch, until recently. They don't shoot as well when the crosshairs move in the scope. And I can't justify the $ at the moment to pick up a new one :signgreatreport3kg:

#9 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,875 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 07:35 PM

Its a fun rifle for sure.Every day on my way home I stop and get out a shoot at the 1" gong @ 200 yards and hit it every time. I at least can afford to shoot it compared to my 22-250 or 243!

#10 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,118 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 08:14 PM

a 1" gong? Man! You could hit a pokerchip then! Or was that a 1' gong? :welcomeani: Either way its a good shot! I have never tried my 22 mag that far. Looks like a great shooter!

#11 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,360 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 12:07 PM

That is real accurate my 17hmr can not do that maybe 1inch group at 100 yards.I just have a cheap model maybe a bull barrel does better i don't know.You should knock them dead at 150 yards ehd that should kill them better then the 17grs.Also it's good to hear good news coming from a ruger owner!

#12 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,841 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 01 December 2011 - 02:27 PM

Its not the rifle Miss it .Its you. :) :yikes[1]:

#13 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,875 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 06:23 PM

here is a pic of the beast. With the longer barrel it doesnt make much noise for the shooter.Attached File  IMG_0799.jpg   33.32KB   7 downloads

#14 'Ike'

'Ike'

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts
  • Interests:Bowhunting, Upland birds with my Labs and Shooting...

Posted 12 December 2011 - 06:20 PM

So which rounds for Yotes? Just put a new scope on my Marlin 882...For a gun I won, its been a shooter!

#15 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,875 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 08:11 PM

I have been testing several lately. So far I like the plain old 40 grain Winchester JACKETED hollow points. I have not rec. my order of 30 grain CCI hollow point +v to try. Fiocchi 40 grain hollow points whop's them real nice also. all shot have been under 125 yards. MY maximum distance is 150.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users