6 replies to this topic

#1 Shot

Shot

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 11:46 AM

Stumble across this site after my hunt. Thought I could say hi and introduce myself with a recent hunt. Here is the story. I had no plans of hunting on Thanksgiving day, but T-day had always been good luck to me. So I had to get out for at least a few hours. Since I wanted to be back early I decided to hit up a local area for deer near my house. I'm normally an early bird, but for some reason I slept through my alarm and woke up a bit late. I didn't get to the trail head until a little past 6am, for the amount of hiking I had to do to get to my spot it was way to late. Either way, I was glad I was out hunting and the cool mist air felt great while hiking.About 45 minutes into my hike I stopped at my first glassing area. Right away I noticed movement about 100 yards away. It was a large bobcat zig zagging through the brush. To date, it was the largest bobcat I had seen in southern California. I quickly hit the ground and took out my mouth call and gave it a whirl. Now, I have never predator hunted before, never called them in before either, but I really wanted to try and this was it. At first, the BC didn't care for me or the sounds I was making, so I decided to switch the tone on the call ( you know, by moving the rubber O-ring) to a higher pitched sound. That seemed to do the trick, the cat stopped for a few seconds and started heading my way. It came to about 50 yards and stopped and kept looking my way. Now I knew he had figured out where the noise was coming from so I immediately stopped calling. He seemed to be held up at 50 yards and didn't want to come any closer, few minutes passed (which seemed like forever) and nothing had changed. I decided to lip squeak to see if I could get him in a little closer. A few minutes later the cat went behind a bush. At this point I thought he was gone, but wasn't sure, so I glassed the area to make sure where he went.As I put my binos down I noticed the cat had come out the other side of the brush and was trying to circle in on me. After about 20 minutes of coming in and out like that, he came to about 30 yards of where I was and stopped behind a patch of tall grass. I grabbed my bow, pointed my arrow in his direction and waiting like that for another 10 minutes. He finally stepped out. I drew my bow, anchored at the corner of my mouth and let the arrow fly. The bobcat was quarter away from me and the arrow entered mid ribs. He leaped in the air, hit the ground and ran with my arrow in him. While running I noticed massive amounts of blood pumping out. He ran 15 yards and piled up.This is my first longbow kill and my first bobcat. I couldn't believe it. After a miserable season of missing a few nice bucks this really helped with my motivation. Hope you guys enjoy the pics.P.S. Can any one recommend a taxidermist that is great cat mounts. I have seen some horrible ones while searching the web. Thanks

Attached Files

#2 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 26 November 2011 - 12:19 PM

Awesome job on slaying that cat. Not only a first (of many to come), but with a bow no less. A REAL challenge! AND, see how MUCH better predator hunting is than killing poor ole, defenseless bambie anyhow?! :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow: :signlol2iu: Anyway, :signgreatreport3kg: and :smiley_kewlpics: Oh, and welcome to the forumFrank

#3 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 01:02 PM

Congrats! You must be hunting A31? I haven't applied for the area in a few years but its interesting country around here. Welcome.

#4 Fjold

Fjold

Traveling hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, hunting and fishing.

Posted 26 November 2011 - 02:00 PM

Welcome! Great job on the cat.

#5 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,839 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 26 November 2011 - 03:09 PM

:smiley-innocent-halo-yellow: Way to go. Nice kitty and with a real bow.Varmits are way more fun like Frank said.Great job. Glad theres another stick slinger on the site .Welcome to this place. Wheres the picture of your bow?. :signgreatreport3kg:

#6 Elderberry

Elderberry

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 06:04 PM

Wow, nice kill! Very nice story to on your first kill there! Welcome to this forum. I hope you and everyone else on here had a very bountiful Thanksgiving. I must now go and work off about oh 7 lbs...of turkey! :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow: Glad to see a new and friendly face.El

#7 Shot

Shot

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 09:50 AM

Thanks guys for the welcome. BullsEye, yes, I was hunting A31. Hoping to get out again tomorrow morning before work. This predator hunting thing is so much FUN. I know what I will be focusing on after deer season.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users