16 replies to this topic

#1 spearodafish

spearodafish

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 04:18 AM

I've got a new gun on order (Howa .223) and it comes with a Nikko Sterling scope. I'm not familiar with this scope and am hoping to get some insights from the forum on its quality. I'm all about good quality glass, and I know for good reason that CA Desert Dog is going to recommend the Hawke brand, but does anybody have any experience with this scope. I'm not committed to the scope and have a few others in mind, but just wondering since I am not familiar with this brand.Scope will be used mostly for coyote and bobcat hunting both day and night. Important features for me are clarity, light gathering abilities, and durability in holding a zero.Thanks for any help you may be able to offer,Jerry

#2 yoteblaster

yoteblaster

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • Interests:Huntin' yotes, Huntin', fishin', Atv'n, Campin', shootin'Military history

Posted 23 November 2011 - 07:24 AM

I haven't owned one myself but google it and you will find a bunch of useful information about it. I was gonna get a Howa myself, never did get enough money for it, however everything I heard about the Nikko Sterlin was "crap" and then I read some people said it was okay.Test it out and let us know what you think.Clint
SEMPER FI - It means... Always Faithful! Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap - life is expensive.

#3 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,191 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Fishing, Camping

Posted 24 November 2011 - 01:55 PM

Trash. I have a friend that own one. Came with a package Howa sold by Turner. It's a total POS, worst than my Barska Tactical. :bleh[1]:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former" Albert Einstein

#4 spearodafish

spearodafish

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 12:58 AM

So I've got crap and POS...that's encouraging, but then again I figured since it came with the gun. Has anybody tried the Nikon Coyote Special or Buckmaster? I'm leaning that way or to the tried and true Leupold line which is always a safe bet. Any other lines? CA Desert Dog, I noticed you are in the OC, is there a shop I can stop by and handle one of the Hawke's?

#5 4RHUNTS

4RHUNTS

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts
  • Interests:Hunting for varmints, two and four legged varieties, deer, pigs, birds, reloading, and fishing.

Posted 25 November 2011 - 11:02 AM

So I've got crap and POS...that's encouraging, but then again I figured since it came with the gun. Has anybody tried the Nikon Coyote Special or Buckmaster? I'm leaning that way or to the tried and true Leupold line which is always a safe bet. Any other lines? CA Desert Dog, I noticed you are in the OC, is there a shop I can stop by and handle one of the Hawke's?

Then why not just go to the "tried and true" Leupold scope? Why experiment with others? I have many Leupolds and have never had a problem with any of them. It is the only scope I'll buy due to the quality and warranty, if I ever need it.

#6 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,992 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 01:15 PM

Im gonna be odd man out here.. lol Since the scope came with the rifle, Id try it out before replacing it. If the optics are clear, and to your liking, sight it in and see what it does. With the minimal ammount of recoil that comes with a 223 doesent affect it, and it holds zero Why not use it? As far as a Nikon Coyote scope, lots come up in classifides in many places. Mostly due to the reticle. Some love it some hate it. I prefer a standard crosshair than to try and center a target in a circle. I'd try the Niko out first before throwing the Baby out with the Bathwater.. :bleh[1]:
“Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that require every citizen to prove they are insured... but not everyone must prove they are a citizen.”

#7 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 25 November 2011 - 06:04 PM

:bleh[1]: Anybody that would not use something that came with it (free) just because a stranger (who has probably never owned one) is crazy. I have the same one that came with my Howa. The only reason it does not sit atop it anymore is because I was given a scope that was a step up. But first day out with rifle/scope combo had several one hole groups (very rare for me). And while I would not put it on an African Safari rifle, I do swap it around constantly on my rabbit rifles with not a problem one yet. If you have the money and plan on spending it anyway, then why ask. And if you do not want to spend the money, then why not shoot it first and see how you like it? Not to be rude, but another person's "opinion" means nothing about the functioning ability of that exact scope you are holding there in your hands. That is kind of like asking how my load shoots in your rifle. Only way to know is to actually try it.................no?

#8 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,992 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 08:09 PM

Unless I read miscorrecctly, someone agrreed with Me!! I am now a happy Man. Try the scope Grasshopper.. lol
“Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that require every citizen to prove they are insured... but not everyone must prove they are a citizen.”

#9 spearodafish

spearodafish

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 12:23 AM

I'm all about trying the scope out since I know nothing about the brand. Agreed if it works then why change it, but I do like quality optics and want it right the first time. Guess I was hoping to see if some people had some experience with Nikko since I didn't get much back on a quick google search for user reviews aside from Nikko's webpage. I am picking the gun up Monday on a day I plan to hunt. If I had an overwhelming amount of people tell me it was junk with good reasons why then I was considering buying a "tried and true" scope while picking the gun up so I didn't waste field time sighting it in for no reason. I tend to stay with things I know or like, but in this case I didn't know what to think since I've never heard of Nikko. I get how opinions work, but why read and consider reviews if they shouldn't matter? From a group the size of this one with the common ground of predator hunting etc., I was hoping to gain some good insight. I'd be pissed if plenty of people tried it, hated it because it fell apart on them or whatever and then I drove who knows how far to make a futile effort on a POS when I could've just picked something else up. Hope my rambling makes sense....I apologize if it doesn't but it's lateThanks OrneryOlMofo357...didn't know that many people didn't like the reticle on the Nikon Coyote...WhenI looked through it as BassPro I was wondering the same thing. I was pointing the Nikon BDC (same reticle I believe) at different animals in the shop to see how it "might" look in the field. Wasn't that excited about the circles, especially since I know the lighting is way different in the store than in the field at a reasonable range during prime shooting hours. Most of my shots are 250 yards or less and the 223 shoots pretty flat to easily compensate on coyote sized game anyway...not sure I want any form of BDC but have been looking at them for fun...There is a Leupold that has blacked out circles vs the hollow circles...was wondering if that tends to wash out on the critter in low light...almost too many choices out there...Thanks Bisley...point well taken and I added some insight into my orginal question in a different response...but still good to know you have at least tried it and it shot fine for you

#10 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,992 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 04:24 AM

I have the Nikon Buckmasters with a Target dot reticle, and it woks well for quick aquisition on a Coyote sized target on My Howa. However on smaller critters like ground squirrels the dot makes them hard to see out past 250 yds or so. Good luck with your new rifle.

#11 JimT.

JimT.

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 07:46 PM

I have the scope on a Howa Axiom camo .243. I did not get the results I wanted but every shot would have been a dead coyote. Range conditions were also very windy and loud. Not the best of conditions but okay. It's been a few years and I have yet to switch it out. It ain't broke and would seemingly work just fine for hunting Wily. When the day comes I have the money for a nice Leupold I'll upgrade. I try to spend the same amount for glass as I spend for the rifle. The scope came with the .243. I can put it on a .17 HMR when my Leupold money arrives.

#12 docskinner

docskinner

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Interests:Learning to navigate Cali hunting laws &amp; Regs. <br />Hunting, shooting, fishing.<br />

Posted 02 January 2012 - 11:23 PM

I have Bushnell Elite (4-12, plex), a Nikon Monarch (4-16, mildot), and a Leupold vxII (4-12, fine). I like the Bushnell and Nikon better than the VXII. Admittedly it is the VXII, not their top, but all of these were in the same ballpark price wise when I bought them. And nothing wrong with the Leu, just prefer the other two over it, and not really because of the reticle. Although I am becoming a big fan of the mil dot.

#13 rdsii64

rdsii64

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 12:27 AM

Both my Howa 1500 varmint rigs came with Nikko Sterling scopes. They are not quite as bad as a Barska but I wouldn't pay money for one either. Since its on a 223 I would suggest you zero your scope at 300 yards with a really flat shooting round like a 40 or 50 grain vmax or nosler ballistic tip then leave the adjustments alone. that should do until you can save for a descent optic. The knobs suck but on a soft kicking rifle like a 223 it should hold its zero.

#14 docskinner

docskinner

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Interests:Learning to navigate Cali hunting laws &amp; Regs. <br />Hunting, shooting, fishing.<br />

Posted 03 January 2012 - 09:35 AM

Both my Howa 1500 varmint rigs came with Nikko Sterling scopes. They are not quite as bad as a Barska but I wouldn't pay money for one either. Since its on a 223 I would suggest you zero your scope at 300 yards with a really flat shooting round like a 40 or 50 grain vmax or nosler ballistic tip then leave the adjustments alone. that should do until you can save for a descent optic. The knobs suck but on a soft kicking rifle like a 223 it should hold its zero.

Guess I am just old, but never understand all the scope fiddling for shots under 500-600 yards. (And yes, I have taken game over 500yards, with old-fashion non-'tactical' scopes) If you know your adjustments, just make them through the scope with your hold. Sight in for 200-250 yards and know ballistics for your load. Really long range stuff it starts to make sense and for target shooting, sure, but for general hunting? ehhh - I guess each to their own! So you can use that regular old scope with a set POA, you just have to learn to hold!

#15 KNOCKED UP

KNOCKED UP

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,735 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, archery,Reloading.
    Harley Davidson Motorcycles, and good people
    RETIRED

Posted 03 January 2012 - 11:41 AM

I purchaced a Howa 243, with a Nikko Sterling scope. I gotta admit, I never tried it.I put a simmons 3x9x50 on it, and I am still thinking about changing it out for a Tasco 3x9x50. The Tasco seems to pick up a lot of light for an inexpencive scope. I picked up two of them a while back for a song. TomAttached File  8.jpg   16.14KB   4 downloads

Life on earth is temporary, Choose your destiny Wisely.

#16 rdsii64

rdsii64

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 06:03 PM

Guess I am just old, but never understand all the scope fiddling for shots under 500-600 yards. (And yes, I have taken game over 500yards, with old-fashion non-'tactical' scopes) If you know your adjustments, just make them through the scope with your hold. Sight in for 200-250 yards and know ballistics for your load. Really long range stuff it starts to make sense and for target shooting, sure, but for general hunting? ehhh - I guess each to their own! So you can use that regular old scope with a set POA, you just have to learn to hold!

to tell you the truth I would rather hold than dial. Holding is faster than dialing and sometimes your clicks aren't what you think they are. The catch is I would much rather hold with a reticle designed for hold overs. I totally understand where you are coming from though. Long before us youngsters got all these fancy shooting crutches, folks were making amazing shots with a plain plex reticle.

#17 dirtgimp

dirtgimp

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 06:46 PM

i guess I'm odd man out on this one, i have one on my hornet and it works just fine for me.holds zero and I've bumped and banged it some with no gripes . . . . . .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users